It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: There is No Asteroid Threatening Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: LesBrocknar

I think it shows that you haven't actually bothered to read any of the statements released by NASA on these issues.

Also the point was made that NASA are not the only ones looking at space or monitoring NEOs.

The likelihood that NASA and every other astronomical organization missed an NEO 1 month away from killing everyone on Earth is very, very, very low.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I think it shows that you haven't actually bothered to read any of the statements released by NASA on these issues.

Really, I would say it is the other way around, since you are trying to justify an absolute statement, that according to their own info, is impossible to make.

If you want to argue against the obvious, be my guest.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I'm making no such argument and neither is anyone else.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

That's right because all the big ones they shoot right out of our atmosphere , without us knowing that it ever was threatening us...

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Why are you talking to me then, this absolute statemen is what I responded to.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesBrocknar

Why are you talking to me then, this absolute statemen is what I responded to.

Because I take issue with some of the things you have said. You see, I read the conversation before interjecting.

I found many of your comments to be absolutist, non scientific, and tin foil hatty.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

So how does your reply change the point that no absolute statement can be made?

My reply is to show you that NASA isn't the only ones looking to the heavens in search of asteroids...so nobody said anything about absolutes.

It doesn't, does it now?

And I never said it did...did I?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I found many of your comments to be absolutist, non scientific, and tin foil hatty.

What exact comment of mine did you respond to with the comments you made sofar?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Very much so.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

So having posted that, how can you say that no asteroid is going to hit Earth in the forseeable future with such certainty, and how can NASA?

This was the comment you responded to. I was talking about the absolute statement they made.

Was the point of your response not to refute the point I was making, namely that such an absolute statement is not justifiable?

If not, what was the point?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Very much so.

Please qoute the one that was any of those things.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I'd rather trust a pickpocket with my wallet than NASA with what they come up with. NASA is what's keeping humanity in darkness.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
NASA lies.
Always.

Am I right? I mean, we've been hit every time NASA said we wouldn't be. Right?

Let's be perfectly honest here. If NASA and governments knew that an asteroid was going to hit earth, do you really think they would tell the public? Of course not.

As soon as they make an announcement like that, the world would stop. No point people going to work, riots, violence and God knows what else.

So, I believe if they did know we were in danger of an asteroid hitting us, they would be stupid to go public with it.
edit on 23-8-2015 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

This was the comment you responded to. I was talking about the absolute statement they made.

They never said it was an absolute, only the dates that were given.

You read only what you want I see.

What NASA said...

Numerous recent blogs and web postings are erroneously claiming that an asteroid will impact Earth, sometime between Sept. 15 and 28, 2015. On one of those dates, as rumors go, there will be an impact -- "evidently" near Puerto Rico -- causing wanton destruction to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States and Mexico, as well as Central and South America.

They say there is an absolute that it will not hit in that time frame...guess you would have seen that if you actually read the OP.

Was the point of your response not to refute the point I was making, namely that such an absolute statement is not justifiable?

It is justifiable because we can see there will not be an asteroid strike on the days they are talking about...you really should read the source article.

If not, what was the point?

The point is that we have more than just NASA looking to the heavens tracking and looking for these asteroids, and none of them have said they have seen this asteroid that is supposed to impact Earth at anytime in the near future.

Amazing you just see what you want to see.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

Let's be perfectly honest here. If NASA and governments new that an asteroid was going to hit earth, do you really think they would tell the public? Of course not.

And yet what about amateur astronomers, colleges, do they not count and do you think they could keep all of them quiet?

As it has been shown already...NASA isn't the only ones looking skyward for asteroids.

So, I believe if they did know we were in danger of an asteroid hitting us, they would be stupid to go public with it.

There is nothing that would keep that info from coming out as they can't silence everyone with a telescope.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boeing777
a reply to: Chadwickus

I'd rather trust a pickpocket with my wallet than NASA with what they come up with. NASA is what's keeping humanity in darkness.

How much tin-foil are you wearing right now as you type that?

Exactly what darkness is NASA keeping humanity in being that they own the skies and no one else on the planet can look up besides NASA.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

But looking up at the sky and seeing an asteroid, would mean they would know that it was going to hit us?

All I am saying is, no way would they tell the public if they did not have too. Why would they?
You could be right about amateur astronomers being able to detect an asteroid and know if it would be on a collision course for earth. But if they could not know, then there is no way the powers that be would tell us, which I pretty much understand why.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

"There is no scientific basis -- not one shred of evidence -- that an asteroid or any other celestial object will impact Earth on those dates," said Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. In fact, NASA's Near-Earth Object Observations Program says there have been no asteroids or comets observed that would impact Earth anytime in the foreseeable future. All known Potentially Hazardous Asteroids have less than a 0.01% chance of impacting Earth in the next 100 years.

"Again, there is no existing evidence that an asteroid or any other celestial object is on a trajectory that will impact Earth," said Chodas. "In fact, not a single one of the known objects has any credible chance of hitting our planet over the next century."

These qoutes don't exclude the possibility of an yet unknown object hitting Earth. So they shouldn't make absolute statements like this,

If they were merely refering to the supposed 25 sept. threat than they should have said,

"NASA: There is No Asteroid Threatening Earth on 25 sept."

The point is that we have more than just NASA looking to the heavens tracking and looking for these asteroids, and none of them have said they have seen this asteroid that is supposed to impact Earth at anytime in the near future.

Because it is impossible to know for sure because there are unknown objects among the NEO's, let alone the non NEO's, even with all parties tracking and watching.

I also didn't say NASA could keep such a thing a secret, I said they would do so as long as they were able to.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

But looking up at the sky and seeing an asteroid, would mean they would know that it was going to hit us?

No that is the reason we look to the heavens...to keep track of those that may come close.

It doesn't mean every asteroid found by NASA is going to hit us.

Just this year, fears were raised about the near-Earth asteroids 2004 BL86 and 2014 YB35, which flew harmlessly past the planet in January and March, respectively — just as NASA scientists had predicted the asteroids would.

www.space.com...

But if they could not know, then there is no way the powers that be would tell us, which I pretty much understand why.

And yet nothing has been kept from the public about asteroids and they indeed tell us about those that could be close...TPTB aren't going to silence all amateur astronomers that see something like that heading for Earth.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

These qoutes don't exclude the possibility of an yet unknown object hitting Earth. So they shouldn't make absolute statements like this,

If there is an unknown object is small enough to not be seen it really isn't going to do much damage compared to a large object.

Because it is impossible to know for sure because there are unknown objects among the NEO's, let alone the non NEO's, even with all parties tracking and watching.

That aren't going to impact the Earth as they stay away from the Earth...since that is what NEO stands for.

I also didn't say NASA could keep such a thing a secret, I said they would do so as long as they were able to.

Wait first you say they couldn't keep such things a secret...then you say they would keep it secret for as long as they could, so which is it can they keep this a secret, or can they not?

You can't have it both ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join