It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: There is No Asteroid Threatening Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Tell me, does the article say an asteroid might hit Earth on those dates?
Since you read it twice.

When did I say asteroids would hit on those dates?

Either/or fallacy?
No third option fallacy?

Tsk tsk.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LesBrocknar

You're probably right, actually you are right, there is no victory here as nothing will change from the doom crowd.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

And just read your edit.

I paraphrased the article..

In 2011 there were rumors about the so-called “doomsday” comet Elenin, which never posed any danger of harming Earth and broke up into a stream of small debris out in space.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

"If there were any object large enough to do that type of destruction in September, we would have seen something of it by now," he stated.

In other words, there maybe an object a few more months out, at any time, that we can't be aware of yet.

I am not into the doom stuff, but acting like it is impossible or that we have got it completely covered is a fallacy.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

NASA have finally addressed the asteroid threat that has been imminent since 2011 when comet Elenin was the hot topic of fear mongers and twits.

What specific imminent asteroid threat since 2011 have they adressed with this then?

Nasa didn't mention Elenin or other specific ones.

I mean the ones that didn't hit earth don't need to be adressed now since it is evident that they weren't a threat. They only adressed the current supposed threat, and could only dismiss it a month before the supposed date.

edit on 23-8-2015 by LesBrocknar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

NASA lies.
Always.

Am I right? I mean, we've been hit every time NASA said we wouldn't be. Right?

The only honest answer NASA or anybody else in the world can give to that question is "I don't know". So yeah, NASA is lying.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is the same NASA that missed the Cheliabinsk meteorite as it was caught in the glare of the Sun?

There was recently a super bolide impact (in Iran) compared to that of the blast in the Urals I mentioned above,this was quite a big event,but international media was next to silent about it,I hear the damage was quite extensive.

Just before this We had fragments of comet 169P explode in the atmosphere over Spain and in this occasion it was next to impossible to acquire any info,I got My Dad on the case as He lives in Spain and yet again nothing? (info even scarcer than the Iranian incident.

This debris/meteorites we are and have been encountering over the recent years has been on a dramatic rise,and even more concerning is that these impacts were measured on land and as Our planet mainly water this is noteworthy!

As others have said if this asteroid were on a direct path we would not be told the truth.

Whatever the scenario that manifests? You can guarantee we will be seeing more impacts as Planet X nears.

BTW here is the Zeta explanation about the 23rd September asteroid:

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
Whatever the scenario that manifests? You can guarantee we will be seeing more impacts as Planet X nears.

poleshift.ning.com...

Tell me about this Planet X you refer to?

I'm intrigued.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
...yet!

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

poleshift.ning.com...

Tell me about this Planet X you refer to?

I'm intrigued.

Planet X is located between Planet W and planet Y.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
If a planet killer were on 'the horizon', what options do we have? Other than sit back and watch the show?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

NASA lies.
Always.

Am I right? I mean, we've been hit every time NASA said we wouldn't be. Right?

On the other hand, we can all agree that the Earth was hit by large asteroids before, causing ELE's and it is even overdue statistically speaking, if i'm correct.

It is inevitable. So let's say one is actually going to hit Earth in six months, and NASA knows this, would they come out and say it when they are still able to deny it or keep it secret?

I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

However, Bolden also admitted that current funding provided to NASA for its NEO work ($20.5 million in FY2012, up from just $4 million a few years earlier) was not sufficient to achieve the goal in NASA’s 2005 authorization act to discover 90 percent of the NEOs at least 140 meters in diameter by 2020. “At the present budget levels—and not the going-down budget levels—it will be 2030 before we can reach the 90-percent level as prescribed by Congress,” he said.

So having posted that, how can you say that no asteroid is going to hit Earth in the forseeable future with such certainty, and how can NASA?

And this is only about Near Earth Objects too.

edit on 23-8-2015 by LesBrocknar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesBrocknar
So let's say one is actually going to hit Earth in six months, and NASA knows this, would they come out and say it when they are still able to deny it or keep it secret?

I don't think so.

It would be pretty silly of them to try to hide this, as the asteroid would have been spotted by the amateurs and non-NASA astronomers sooner rather than later. The findings and trajectory calculations would have been reported to the Minor Planet Center, verified by other astronomers, and anounced officially. You can't hide the sky from astronomers; the cat would be out of the bag instantly.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

So having posted that, how can you say that no asteroid is going to hit Earth in the forseeable future with such certainty, and how can NASA?

You do understand NASA aren't the only people looking into space.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

www.nasa.gov...

www.astroleague.org...

news.discovery.com...

Pretty sure we have a good eye to the sky.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

This is the same NASA that missed the Cheliabinsk meteorite as it was caught in the glare of the Sun?

The Chelyabinsk meteor was quite small, and exploded in the upper atmosphere.

There was recently a super bolide impact (in Iran) compared to that of the blast in the Urals I mentioned above,this was quite a big event,but international media was next to silent about it,I hear the damage was quite extensive.

If the West weren't such a$$holes towards Iran, maybe that even would have gotten a bigger coverage in the West. You also need to take the reports of this impact with a grain of salt, especially if they come from anti-mainstream sites. What you have read might have been embellished and added-to.

Just before this We had fragments of comet 169P explode in the atmosphere over Spain and in this occasion it was next to impossible to acquire any info,I got My Dad on the case as He lives in Spain and yet again nothing? (info even scarcer than the Iranian incident.

As has been already mentioned to you, it was just slightly larger pieces that make up the annual meteor shower. A lot of meteors you see are tiny particles left behind by comets.

This debris/meteorites we are and have been encountering over the recent years has been on a dramatic rise,and even more concerning is that these impacts were measured on land and as Our planet mainly water this is noteworthy!

There has been no rise. Rather, there have been more active attempts to observe and record these events, and the bigger presence on the Internet where such news are shared far and wide instantly.

As others have said if this asteroid were on a direct path we would not be told the truth.

We would - by the amateurs and professional astronomers all around the world.

Amateur astronomers can photograph Pluto, small asteroids and comets from millions of miles away, and even brown dwarfs outside the Solar System. So let's give them the coordinates of this Planet X and get them to confirm this object once and for all.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I don't know about you, but I've been enjoying my firery death since it was announced in 1999.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

What NASA Actually said:

CBS News

"There is no scientific basis -- not one shred of evidence -- that an asteroid or any other celestial object will impact Earth on those dates," Paul Chodas, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said in a statement Thursday.

The Near-Earth Object office watches for, tracks and characterizes asteroids and comets passing within 30 million miles of Earth using both ground- and space-based telescopes.

"If there were any object large enough to do that type of destruction in September, we would have seen something of it by now," Chodas said, adding: "In fact, not a single one of the known objects has any credible chance of hitting our planet over the next century."

Why is this even a debate? These predictions and internet rumors are a clock work occurrence and gullible people believe it because idiots have it in their heads that NASA "must be lying" or "don't want you to know the truth".

This is no different than the "Mars will appear as big as the moon on such and such date". Every year NASA has to debunk this crap, and when they do the inevitable chorus of "NASA must be lying" people show up just in time to embarrass themselves.
edit on pSun, 23 Aug 2015 09:06:38 -0500201523America/Chicago2015-08-23T09:06:38-05:0031vx8 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

You do understand NASA aren't the only people looking into space.

Is there 100% coverage? Can we look very far into the future?

No?

So how does your reply change the point that no absolute statement can be made?

It doesn't, does it now?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Why is this even a debate?

You ask me after posting those qoutes?

They clearly show that there is no way to be sure. I responded to the absolute claim that was made.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join