It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Possible Threat at Norfolk Naval Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Authorities have recieved a 911 call that there is a bomb on a public bus at Norfolk Naval Air Station. According to the caller, the bus will explode once it enters the base. Currently, authorities have 2 buses surrounded and are approaching the buses with robots.

HamptonRoads.com
NORFOLK -� FBI agents and members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force responded to the scene of a reported bomb threat near Norfolk Naval Station shortly after noon today, but there�s no indication that the incident is a genuine terrorist threat, an FBI spokesman said.

�We�re evaluating and assessing the situation,� said Phil Mann, an FBI spokesman. �We have no indication that anybody�s been harmed.�

Two Hampton Roads Transit buses were stopped on Hampton Boulevard near the naval station after a bomb threat was phoned in this morning, officials said. Police have erected barricades on Hampton at Greenbrier Avenue blocking traffic to the base.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The bus belongs to Hampton Roads Transit. Norfolk Naval Air Station is one of the largest of its kind in the world. Reports are coming in that a base spokeswoman had said an anonymous caller told police "a lot of people are going to die."

This could be a huge problem indeed if the threats turn out to be real.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Sounds like a hoax to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
or maybe a distraction as they sneek in another way

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here is another source on this story:

www.wavy.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I agree with sangfroid that this is some sort of diversion away from a possible strike elsewhere. The boys down in Hampton need to keep on their toes. Could you imange the bad guys doing something to the tunnel? It won't be long before someone figures it out. Does anyone know what the pouplation is in Norfolk and in the grater Hampton Roads area?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Norfolk statistics:

norfolkva.areaconnect.com...

Also, Valhall already linked to this story but here's the latest:

(AP)-Authorities say a vague threat of killing people on a bus in Norfolk turned out to be a hoax.

Possibly not a diversion but a test? Or, simply some angry individual looking for revenge due to the delay, cost, effort?

[edit on 12/30/2004 by titian]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
ok here 2 possibilities....
1. Hoax created to test and evalutate the response effort and emergency preparedness of the naval, local, state officials by higher govt authority to ensure that proper procedures are taken to a. test the facility, the local populace response, local authority reaction, state reaction, govt reaction in safeguarding and b. possible threat forewarned in the area, only to scare the possibility of such an attack from occurring if there is a threat possibility made earlier

2. Actual threat did occur, but unlikely due to the fact this time of the season the military and its facilities and personnel are not at full capacity due to the holiday season, if such an attack were to be made, wrong timing, unless the actual threat was TESTING what the response would be so they can figure a different route to take in accomplishing what their goal is...terrorists take time to plan and prepare for such an attack, this could be one of their plans. However, if they have, if this is true, they have only made the target harder to exploit due to the fact they hieghten security now.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Not a real attack.... What would be the point of warning the authorities? You would WANT the bomb to go through, right?

Not a test..... An attacker would be testing to see if an attack could be carried out WITHOUT a response. The attacker could really care less what the repsonse to a phone threat would be as they would not be making one. If this had been a test, we wouldn't have even heard about it.

I'm afraid this can be laid at the doorstep of someone sitting at home on Christmas break bored out of their mind. Possibly after consuming too many beers and/or drugs.

It is unfortunate that these threats must still be handled as though they were real simply because there ARE sick and insane people out there who would plant a bomb on a bus just to watch the pretty flames.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
Could you imange the bad guys doing something to the tunnel? It won't be long before someone figures it out.

I hope to God they don't figure that out. I travel through that tunnel several times a year and it scares the hell out of me every time.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Haven't heard a word about this.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
My very first impression on this was it had to be a hoax. Why?

Because terrorists do not phone ahead and tell you they are coming, that is why.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i live in hampton roads, it was a hoax somoen made the call from a 7/11 down the street but the response was great

new topics

top topics

join