It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Katherine Albrecht: Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:30 PM

It's pretty obvious how this stuff works. Get people to agree by wrapping it in a pretty package and make it free. But it's not free. You pay with your 4th Amendment right. You pay by giving up your privacy. Soon the voice activation won't be software based, it'll be on the Intel chip itself, so listening in won't be able to be disabled.

Microsoft has already cooperated with NSA before to spy on Americans. Now they come up with this. Not even worth debating.

And yet.. people want a personal assistant that will know your schedule, where you like to (or would like to) eat, track your purchases, track tasks and people, etc. How do you propose they do that without tracking these things? All the features in Cortana (and Google Now and Siri and even Amazon Echo) are there to learn your habits / likes / schedule / etc. Which makes sense if you want an assistant that can actually you know.. assist you.

Like I said.. people want it all in regards to the Internet. Usually conflicting things. Privacy yet track criminals. Services available via websites yet no pop-ups or ads. Personal assistants yet no tracking of your personal information.

If you want an actually useful piece of software that can assist you in your daily tasks, and want it to be on your computer, iPad, tablet, Phone.. it needs that information. Whether you trust that MS or other companies will sell your personal data.. yea, they probably will. They may well sell your email addy with your likes / purchases.. it's how they make money. If you don't want that.. don't use a personal assistant. But then don't complain about it, nor say these companies are evil and tricky.. they are just trying to offer a service and earn money while doing it.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:39 PM
The personal assistant analogy is a great one. Think about it, whether you hire a person as a personal assistant or buy software, the assistant has to understand you in order to be an effective assistant. Now let's say you go off the deep end or for some reason the government wants to know more about you. In the case of a software assistant the government gets a warrant for your records from software company, then they sift through and learn what they want. In the case of a human assistant they subpoena the assistant or bring them in for an interview. Either way the government ends up with the data. So either go assistant-less or don't and realize that confiding all that information in any other person results in a vulnerability of sorts.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
Luckily there are people out there like me.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:07 PM
In the case of a personal assistant, if I find she's been making a list of my locations at regular intervals and storing in her personal notebook and then once every so often sending this to someone she feels should know who might sell me something or simply use it to always know where I am and where I've been... that girl gets labeled a spy and she gets fired. It would start with the discovery of her collection and me saying, "What the F is all of this?" As soon as she says, it was to be the best assistant I could be, I respond with, "Shut the F up and answer my question. What the F is this? What are you saving all of this for? Why are you storing all this detailed data including all my voicemails an messages on your own database and who are these people you're sharing this with?"

That's how that conversation goes down. So why spin it? As far as voice recognition and making notes or alerting, some services need to be enabled, but does a complete detailed history of everything need to be saved to a database that you have no access to, but others do?

And do we forget that these companies have already worked with the NSA to secretly spy on Americans? We just assume that's a non-issue? Provably not even worth thinking about right?

edit on 24-8-2015 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:26 PM

In the case of a personal assistant, if I find she's been making a list of my locations at regular intervals and storing in her personal notebook and then once every so often sending this to someone she feels should know who might sell me something or simply use it to always know where I am and where I've been... that girl gets labeled a spy and she gets fired

So if your assistant -could- track you every minute and thus be a better assistant, they probably would. Carrying around a GPS system so they could do this is of course, impractical. But having a phone you have to carry around anyway, tracked by an assistant that is available at all hours is pretty cool and handy. There is nothing wrong with that implementation.

As far as selling your info.. that is going to happen regardless if you use Cortana or not. Why do you think when you browse say.. Amazon or Google for an item, it suddenly shows in ads in various websites? At any rate, sometimes this is a good thing. I actually like that if I am searching for something, I am fed customized ads in that realm.. instead of having ads shoved in my face for crap I'll never purchase. Ads are going to be a reality.. might as well have ones tailored to my tastes.

As far as giving your data to an alphabet agency, they are not going to hunt down your voice or data unless they think there is a reason to do so. They don't have time to go through petabytes of data.. daily.. to try and find out if you stole a song off of YouTube.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 02:45 PM
a reply to: spiritualzombie

What if your assistant, when you hired her, had told you that she wanted to do all that to be a better assistant?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:14 PM
I find it a bit ironic that many of you (probably above 90%) are
carrying around with you ~everyday~ the most sophisticated
surveillance device ever concieved by man, in the form of a
smart phone--a device that tracks and records your every move,
your every text, your every spoken word...

but yet, here you are complaining about some *new* intrusive OS for
your computer.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:40 PM
What an interesting read through on this thread, I learned lots of stuff and it won't be forgotten. A couple of years ago my main Tower died and I had to go with 7 on a new build. I loved XP and now I love 7. I figure they are going to abandon 7 just like they did with XP's just a matter of time till some guy rips your OS right out from underneath you:-)

The wife's laptop is also on 7 so its happy times for anyone here who gets on either system to do whatever. What I would like to know is what are we missing that is better and improved versus what we use now?

I have hidden the win 10 updates on both systems so no more nagging and all is good. Sitting on the sidelines and thanking everyone in this thread for great posts and fantastic links Pro/Con. I cannot see us going to 10 at this time nor in the future.
S&F to the OP
Regards, Iwinder

I also posted this on another thread but it applies to both in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:21 AM
a reply to: Informer1958

Rather a few of the private torrent trackers are starting to ban the use of Windows 10 down to the EULA and intrusive data collection measures. Possibly another reason i will stick with Win 8 for the time being.
edit on 25-8-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:06 AM
a reply to: fleabit

thanks will do,it looks like they have been trying to install it everyday since July 29.I did as you instructed and it said "no match"
the command prompt doesn't bother me as no one else uses my laptop so as long as it isn't anything I need or should to remove I''ll leave it alone.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 09:21 AM

originally posted by: proob4

originally posted by: Informer1958
a reply to: proob4

I am thinking of going towards apple next, I have not heard any complaints yet, however I have not researched it either. What do you think?
I never owns a apple, wouldn't know where to start. But I have been considering Linux OS. But yet again I hear half the apps I like are not usable with a Linux or even a Apple system for the matter?

Possibly... There's ways around this. One way is to setup a VM in your linux environment and run the programs in the virtural machine on the correct OS.

There's also software for linux that's designed to emulate (eh.. really loose use of the word) a windows environment and able to run windows software. It's specifically called WINE and there's some paid versions that have specific configs for programs that are already setup.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 12:22 PM
I made this post on facebook and i figured why even make a new one? But i must, i usually dont post but i can't let bs pass by without being called out

Judging by the fact that I have been involved in its development for years... I can honestly just say, that whole post is downright bull#, everything that is said is geared towards alarming all these idiots that believe in crazy conspiracy theories, if you are concerned about the mic then don't connect it, furthermore do you really think Microsoft would attempt to record every conversation? Do you realize that there are 7 billion people uttering 40 billion words a day? Average, and you would need at least 200kb of storage space for every 10 seconds of one conversation (at very low quality) you are talking about filling up billions of hard drives of useless data every day

In no #ing Dream World you could possibly take on such an endeavor, in a week the entire state of Texas would be buried in hard drives, buy why stop there right, see if it would even make sense for the government to sift through the entire sea of crap data to find something they can use? Do you realize how many super computers you need to simply index all of it? How about all the power you will need to perform a search of such massive database, are you #ing diluted?

Google is the only company that basically moons the investigative world and they pride themselves on being this way, if they could capture every key stroke and every call or conversation then they would have already built the uss enterprise, because that's how far fetched all this empirical nonsense is, fine, don't use win 10, the rest of us will enjoy the first of Microsoft products which happen to be good
edit on 25-8-2015 by CSM101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 03:51 PM
a reply to: andy06shake

How is Windows 8, is it better than Win 7? I have not tried it yet. I am using Win 7 right now. I love Win XP.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 03:59 PM
a reply to: CSM101

udging by the fact that I have been involved in its development for years... I can honestly just say, that whole post is downright bull#, everything that is said is geared towards alarming all these idiots that believe in crazy conspiracy theories,

Yes it is possible for NSA, or other agencies to go after anyone, while millions of users are on line. These agencies have the software to do it. It is not a conspiracy theory.

However, I didn't know their software was this advanced. Go ahead an enjoy your Win 10, I wont use it.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 05:19 PM
Laughable, YES it's possible for the NSA to go after someone as an individual via your computer, which is okay lol. Two things happen here 1: They discover you are planning on blowing something up 2: They determine their info was false and your a 450 lb chub that plays too much League of Legends and believes in Hollow Earth and they laugh and never look at you again...

But they don't have the manpower to monitor people lol

And if your a suspect it sure beats the old manner of stalking you down a side street and beating your arse for a while until you talk, having a pretty woman drug you or just sneaking into your house when you're not home.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:49 PM
All the ahem spyware is disableable if you know where to look and how to disable it, unfortunately what in my opinion the author fails to recognise is that Your Hard Disk Hardware already gives backdoor access to any gov intelligence agency anyway. Like Google, Apple and many others MS has finally been told to tow the line and watch your every move.

I would rather run Windows than Apple, Apple has provided info for the FBI and CIA for years as well as GCHQ
thats why I own NO APPLE PRODUCTS, SAMSUNG are just as bad...

You have two options.
1) learn how to disable all the spying stuff in win 7,8, 10 (as they now have it included as well...) there are many tutorials on how to do this...
2) Uninstall your OS and never use a computer or the internet again !

Quite simply put... be safe not sorry!

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:54 PM
a reply to: fleabit Look at your Set top box my friend, 99% of them include a mic and camera, even if you don't realise it.

Look at the latest Smart TV's they are just as bad....

Oh and the IoT imaging swearing at your fridge* for not having milk in it, and the fridge posting to Twitter?
*UK term for refridgerator

With regards to selling email addresses etc, try entering an online competition that requires a mobile phone number "in case you win" then watch the "are you in debt" sms's start rolling in... As well as debt management companies, credit and life insurance companies etc etc

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 03:40 AM
a reply to: Informer1958
There are very easy tools to use to see exactly what info (packets) are being sent out from your computer and where they are going (just look up a packet capturing app). As a gamer and network/PC technician I know to always presume I'm being monitored in some way. There's other tools for hiding yourself for those rare occasions you feel you need real privacy, and if you're not already familiar with those tools then I have news for you, they already have snooped most of your info.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 04:57 AM
I can see that there are tutorials and stuff we can use to turn the snooping off, but how do we know that covers all the bases? In sceptical and conspiracy term, they cold still be "spying" using undocumented software that can't be switched off.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
O boy, Katherine Albrecht speaking about Windows 10 and privacy is like me talking about Chinese language. I know what it looks like, but have no idea of its structure, nor I speak language. I do understand some basic words... that's it... (so I might know bit more about Chinese language

Firstly, let's look at following picture, named 'data never sleeps'.... see if you can spot time frame for this amount of data...

Now, imagine to add to that recordings of any sort of all Windows users (for example Win 10).

Even, if possible, what would you do with all that recordings?? Create transcripts and make it searchable? Think about it, have you ever used software that does transcript of voice message (voice mail for example). How bad that is... add to that not perfect place for mics... it just does not make sense...

I work with computers for over 20 years now, and I am computer enthusiast back from 80s. I am aware that Win 10 can act on command, just like my phone can if I call it by name. But both of those features can be disabled, same with rest of tracking information etc.

So far, my experience with Win 10 is very positive, all computers I installed, installation went without any problems, and once you start OS you can select Customize setting instead of recomended settings and disable everything you don't like.

If you concerned about telemetry and data collection, follow this link:

Learn more about computers rather then stay uninformed... Don't believe everything you hear on youtube... especially not from folks who clearly have no idea what they are talking about...

edit on 26-8-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>