It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawker Hunter crashes at airshow; multiple dead reported

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

edit on 22-8-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There is new dashcam footage that shows the crash from further down the road. Its on a site full of gore and racist comments so don't want to link from here, I'm sure it will be on YouTube though if you want a look

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Looking at screen caps the aircraft leveled off below the treeline, just before impact. There's nothing obviously wrong, not that that means much.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
What a sad event.

As for a pilots - I'd put my trust in experienced pilots many times over compared to the majority of drivers on public roads.

There is a fairly long list of pilots saving people on board damaged aircraft due to they flying skills. As mentioned, writing the pilot off due to a crash without more info is short sighted.

I certainly would not think of an airshow in the light of a NASCAR event.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Kester

I have an interest in not crucifying av pilot without facts. It wouldn't matter of he was in a brand new plane or an even older plane. You don't jump to conclusions without evidence.

I agree with that, far too early days. I just looked at some of the updates in the online press, some outrageous stuff, The Daily Mirror says this,
"The Second World War Hawker Hunter fighter jet smashed into the busy A27" Then a picture of the plane's engine 'stopping' (a blur between the camera and plane) and elsewhere, expect more bodies. That's 1,2,3. 1 and 2 is rubbish, while 3 could be correct...that make the whole report true if you just don't know. Jeez, The Mirror used to be a good paper! Now they go head hunting for something yet to be configured.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

This video from a different source, needs to be watched in full screen.

edit on 22-8-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Are you a certified pilot with a respectable number of flight hours? Have you any idea of the number of things that can go wrong in mere fractions of a second when flying?

Dude really? REALLY?

I`m not going to speak for all fighter pilots pilots, but for the vast, vast majority(meaning every single one of them) their thoughts are not on suicide when sitting in the cockpit. This is an entirely different species of humans you are used to knowing. Not going to argue with you, just...

Dude, REALLY?

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
like I posted on page three...he had no pitch authority...
there was no bottom of the loop he lost lift at 9 oclock in the loop at 2400 feet AGL....men

edit on 22-8-2015 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This is local to me and is one of those airshows I go to randomly,this is one year I'd kinda decided a few days ago I'd give a miss this year.
Shoreham has had an unusually high number of aircraft crashes though,but as far as I'm aware there isn't a single contributing factor (local geography,poor ATC standards etc) that link any of them.Some 20 or so years ago I was there and watching a small single seater (Jodel or similar) of some description doing a fairly basic aerobatic display and after a wing-over hit the ground while flying vertically downwards without making any attempt to pull out of it.A relatively inexperienced pilot who just froze at the wrong moment was the only explanation they could ever give for this one.

In 2007 a Hurricane crashed there,and in 2010 a Glider did the same with no apparent factor that linked any of them.Luckily these all happened over the active part of the airfield with no other loss of life.

I can't find the quote again now and don't know if this has already been mentioned,but a witness standing by the side of the A27 said he heard the Hunter's engines throttle up seconds before the crash,meaning the pilot was doing everything he could right up to the point of impact to avert a disaster.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Just from what I read of Kester"s posts....I don't think Kester was implying that the pilot "intended" to crash. Did the pilot "intend" to buzz the cars on the roadway ??? Imo...that is a very realistic possibility. Based upon the video evidence. It does appear that he was purposely lining up with the highway. It also appears that everything was going well except for a little miscalculation of sorts.

It looks like he may have intended to complete his loop and level off at "buzz" height right over the construction site. I will admit as a man and a bit of a prankster something like that would be fun. "IF" all went well...unfortunately all did not go well. Of course all of this is speculation based on the videos and my knowledge of human nature. Will the pilot ever admit to something of that nature ? Doubtful but possible....will a board of inquiry determine that this is what happened ?? Maybe.....If the pilot had a track record of pulling those types of pranks then I feel it would be safe to say he may see some type of litigation as a result of this mishap. Do I think such litigation is necessary ? NO...because if the pilot lives he will live with the knowledge of what he did that day and every time he sees a wedding party or a construction site or almost anything related to that day. He will be haunted by the choices that were made that lead to this "mishap"

At the least...it was poor and irresponsible planning for the loop not to be executed so that at all stages it would have remained over unoccupied land. Of which there was much. That way even in the event of mechanical failure. The pilot himself would have been the only one at risk.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

And, again, we're crucifying the pilot without any facts. We don't know anything from that video except that he crashed. We can't read his mind or anything else, but sure, let's jump straight to him trying to show off and being a reckless idiot.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The pilot was Andy Hill. He's a former RAF Instructor Pilot, and a current British Airways Captain. He's flown multiple types since getting out of the RAF, and isn't the kind of pilot you'd expect to see hot dogging or being irresponsible. Other pilots described him as methodical and professional.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Police have just held a press conference and have said the death toll may rise to 11.
Thoughts to the families and the pilot fighting for his life .

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well even if it is determined to be pilot "error".....I wouldn't consider him to be a "reckless idiot". ALL of us have done things that we shouldn't have done ( Drive too tired or too fast for conditions ). And I have done things that has endangered peoples lives in other ways as well. I just didn't happen to be flying an airplane. It is common in this modern age to take what are termed "reasonable risks ". Most of the time things go okay for us and sometimes they don't.

And no I am not trying to crucify this man. I am told that a man has already been crucified for our errors. Because assuredly we are ALL in need of mercy and forgiveness. Unless of course some people on here think that they don't make mistakes ??

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Death toll now stands at 11. :-(

Incredible exclusive footage on BBC website, I'm not a gore hunter but I would be interested to see the impact (which the BBC has cut out on all footage they show.)

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 23-8-2015 by kamatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

With a pilot that has such an extensive record and experience that this one does it's usually less likely. They've gotten through that phase where they have to fly every time they're supposed to, or are to proud to call off a flight for whatever reason.

It's still possible but much less likely than with a younger or less experienced pilot.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
A crane will be brought in to lift the wreckage out. Police are expecting to find more bodies then. Several people remain missing.

Investigators are having to be careful because it appears that there is still some unburned fuel, and it's not clear if the ejection seats fired or not.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear

How could one think that was possibly deliberate? Please, I would really like to know how one could reach that conclusion given the situation.

Because Kester lives and breaths pessimism, that's why

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: kamatty

Watching and listening to that, it seems like he throttles up at the last minute to try and pull out.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

From the stills I've seen be leveled off but still would have had a high sink rate. He probably throttled up to try to at least arrest the sink.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: stumason

From the stills I've seen be leveled off but still would have had a high sink rate. He probably throttled up to try to at least arrest the sink.

originally posted by: Imagewerx
I can't find the quote again now and don't know if this has already been mentioned,but a witness standing by the side of the A27 said he heard the Hunter's engines throttle up seconds before the crash,meaning the pilot was doing everything he could right up to the point of impact to avert a disaster.

Why is it at least half of my posts on here get ignored?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join