It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "true" Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I've heard it more than I can count, Christians who are not Catholic claiming that Catholicism is not "true" Christianity and that the Pope is the antichrist. This is not just limited to Catholicism, but to any "outside" denomination. If you are Baptist then every other denomination has it wrong, if you're Protestant then every other denomination is wrong, etc. etc.

Every Christian denomination (and there are over 20,000 of them) believes that they have it right and everyone else has it wrong. Well, if you believe in Christian doctrine, every single denomination has it right, not just yours. Why? Because every denomination teaches the exact same fundamental concept that yours does: that Jesus died for our sins and that belief in his sacrifice grants us redemption and grace. Even the Pope teaches this fundamental concept and might even be its biggest proponent.

So, if "true" Christianity is not belief in Jesus' sacrifice for sins, then what is "true" Christianity? Even the WBC teaches faith in Jesus' sacrifice, so even with their hate doctrine they are still granted access to heaven because of the simple fact that they believe in Jesus' sacrifice. Even if they teach their members to be horrible people, they are still teaching them to have faith in Jesus' sacrifice.

What does the bible say?

Romans 10
9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Every denomination declares with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and that he was raised from the dead, so how can anyone say that what they teach is wrong?

Galatians 3
26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,

1 John 4
2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God

1 John 5
1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.

No matter how vile of a person you are, no matter what evil acts you commit, if you believe Jesus is Christ and that he was raised from the dead, you are a child of God. So that means every Christian that ever lived has made it into heaven and any Christian who will ever live will make it into heaven; no matter what actions they did or will commit, they are given a golden pass.

So again, what is "true" Christianity if not belief in Jesus and his sacrifice?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Every person is on their own unique spiritual journey. There is no one 'true' way to God through Christianity or any other religion. However, I do think that belittling the faith and beliefs of others is a violation of spiritual law and to be avoided. That's MY opinion.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I find it difficult to see where this profit for prophets cult has meaning. I never see the sacrifice the God supposedly suffered, this omnipotent being allowed his only son to the tortured and killed then Jesus went up to Heaven for tea and cake i assume.. family reunion and all that jazz then he came back to Earth for a 3 day bender to say farewell to his pals. I may have missed the point somewhere, but i would never have allowed my only son to be treated that way if I was meant to have such power.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Christianity is the understanding that salvation comes by faith alone in Jesus' payment for our sins as the Lamb of God. Regardless of denomination, if you believe on the basis faith alone then you are a true Christian.

If you believe that your salvation hinges on your works or a combination of faith and works, then you are not a Christian.

That is the Baptist view, as well as mine (as a nondenominationalist)...but as you said, each denomination has its own definition of what true Christianity is.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

To give up materialism, ie the material world, in pursuit of the spiritual world which is the kingdom of heaven within you.

Mathew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Anyone who claims to believe in Jesus but lives a material life is fooling themselves, regardless of what they believe about forgiveness. Since we are instructed to become Like Christ.

Add - The first Christians lived this principle.

Acts 2:45
They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.

edit on 21-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I agree with you here. I'm only asking a question and pointing out some things that I don't think line up with things Jesus taught. If Christianity or any other religion helps you along your way, I say go for it, it has certainly helped me along my journey, even if that help came in the form of seeing the errors in its (my own at the time) doctrine.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

To be honest, we will never know what the original teachings or meaning of Christianity, unless we die and there is God.

But what I mean is the religion has been twisted, changed, and revised so many times people would not even fathom that at one point in the religions history it was seen as an underground cult on the brink of extinction. Food for thought.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Salvation from what exactly? My immortal soul will not belong to an imaginary friend who judges me like a parent who actually give me advice to guide me forward. How dare you be so asinine to give credence to a story written in 3rd century Rome while deciding what is good reading and entrapment to steal my hard earned money to house a CEO runs a tax free country. My energy travels through me and I use it to turn negative thoughts from early release patients into hope.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Actually it is pretty clear.

Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

Such people claim they know God, but they deny him by the way they live. They are detestable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good.

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

Evil will not depart from the house of him that pays evil for good.

Let him move away from wickedness and let him do good; let him seek peace and run after it.

“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.

But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow wickedness, there will be wrath and anger.

And the Dragon raged against the woman and went to make war with the remnant of her Seed, these who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Yeshua.

But those who resist and do not obey the truth, but obey evil, he will pay anger and fury,

“If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and I abide in his love.

Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.

"Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

edit on 21-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Defiantly does not sound like the words of someone who was teaching perpetual imperfection, original sin.

Sounds more like someone teaching that we are to overcome sin and obey the commands of our lord.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Spiritual law or the Akashic records holds memories and energies for those who follow teachings that guide life. My questions are valid and my reaction my own, Natural Law is good like that. It does not prohibit the questioning of simplistic antiquated story book ideals.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: tankgirlkittykaz

If you believe you have an immortal soul, then don't you think a Righteous Creator has the right to judge His creation? Salvation saves you from eternal spiritual death. Soul and spirit are two different things.

I get the feeling that your hate for Christianity stops you from considering the Christian perspective.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

So you really believe that Heaven and Hell are places where judgement is passed by some old man who claims to love me, but can burn my soul for eternity? How is that love or salvation? It is a response of the indoctrinated and it belittles all that is good our our energies and our journey to be aware of the consciousness of which we are all a part of.
edit on 21-8-2015 by tankgirlkittykaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So again, what is "true" Christianity if not belief in Jesus and his sacrifice?

My "take away" from Jesus, is that, before He died on the cross, He forgave everyone. If He wasn't the Son of God, then He should have been.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

It is not hatred it is confusion of how these stories help produce productive knowledge by damnation and telling you do as i say or else. It sounds like a very cold way to live. Not having the knowledge to expand because there are 10 commandment ( which humanity got by with long before without common sense) being carved onto a tablet you have to abide by. Love is a universal energy which is available to everyone with no conditions attached. I need an understanding of a book that shows the supposed devil giving them knowledge but God keeping it for himself why is he limiting potential for learning?

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

Defiantly does not sound like the words of someone who was teaching perpetual imperfection, original sin.

Sounds more like someone teaching that we are to overcome sin and obey the commands of our lord.

Jesus was not speaking of sinless perfection. He was warning against a return to sinful lifestyle choices. His words both extended mercy and demanded holiness. Jesus was always the perfect balance of “grace and truth” (John 1:14). With forgiveness comes the expectation that we will not continue in the same path of rebelliousness. Those who know God’s love will naturally want to obey Him (John 14:15).

When we turn to Christ and receive His forgiveness, we experience a heart change (Luke 9:23; Acts 1:8). Forgiveness is not cheap, and it does not excuse the sin that separated us from God. It cost God everything to offer us the cleansing that pronounces us righteous before Him (John 3:16; 15:13). Rather than continue in the self-centered path that led us astray from Him to begin with, the forgiven can walk in God’s path (Luke 14:27). A move toward God is a move toward righteousness, purity, and holy living (1 Peter 1:16; Romans 8:29). We cannot experience the transforming power of forgiveness without being forever changed.

When we meet Jesus, sin no longer holds its fatal attraction. Grace changes things. When we are born again (John 3:3), the power of the Holy Spirit breaks the power that sin once had over us (Romans 6:6).

Once we lived only to please ourselves, but when we have been forgiven, our motivation changes. We now live to please God (Galatians 2:20).

Most importantly: We still sin, but sin is no longer a lifestyle choice (1 John 3:9–10).

edit on 22-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Oh I totally agree with you here, the one who DOES what Jesus said to do: love God and others as yourself, will enter the kingdom of heaven. But the verses you referenced are opposed to the one I presented in the OP, that those who declare that Jesus is Lord WILL be saved. Their is no mention on doing what he said to do, only belief in his sacrifice and resurrection.

Romans 7
19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing.

Paul did not do what Jesus said to do, so how can we believe he knew the way to heaven if he did not practice it? Paul did what was evil, this he kept on doing by his own admission. Jesus did not teach us to do evil... or is love evil?
edit on 8/22/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: tankgirlkittykaz
My immortal soul will not belong to an imaginary friend...

Have you thought of the alternatives?

He isn't going to FORCE anyone to go to Heaven against their own will.

There are no shotgun weddings in Heaven...

Melisa: But surely no one would choose that if they knew you really existed?

Jesus: Not so, nobody goes into hell blindfolded. In one way or another, I've revealed myself to everyone.

Melisa: But if they could just see you...

Jesus: Not even that would be enough. Look at satan, he stood before me in the very throne room of God. But he thought the beauty and the power bestowed was somehow earned. Gave himself over to pride. Scratch any sin and just below the surface you'll find pride...

Jesus: "I'm a gentleman Nick, I'll never force myself on you or anyone. Nick, what would be more unjust and unfair, for me to steal you at the moment of your death and force you to live in my presence and in my will for all eternity. Hell on the other hand is a place where you'll be completely free from all of my "though shalt nots"... FOREVER."

Jesus: Everyone dies, Nick, but not everyone needs to fear death. If you abide in me, you’ll be stepping free from this fallen world and into glory.

Melissa: Is that what heaven’s like? Glory?

Jesus: It’s more than glory, Melissa. It’s peace and love and joy. Can you imagine living in the fullness of the warmth of God’s light? There are no words in the human vocabulary that can describe it. It’s a place where there is no suffering. It’s a place where every tear is wiped from your eyes. There’s no sadness. There’s no pain. And you know, Melissa, one day you and I will walk on the streets of gold and we’ll talk about this night together."

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Nobody has the right to judge anyone unless you harm someone and the christian god is no loving all powerful being.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

The alternative being hell and eternal death, right? I don't believe in that, only if you believe in that do you give it power over you. If you believe because you fear punishment then you are doing it wrong.

1 John 4
18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join