It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anybody noticed the U.S. stock market decline?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I saw earlier today via iPhone that they were lower than usual. Apple was down like 4% as well.

Now I check after reading this post and holy cow have the numbers dropped even more!

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Well, Millenials don't consume the same. They have way way less purchasing power. They don't buy houses and new cars at the same rates that previous generations did. They participate in what's cvalled the shared economy.

Don't expect anything to get better for a long time.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Buy more food.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

edit on 22-8-2015 by iDope because: duplicate

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
Locust plagues so big they show up on radar
The plague in Iowa
An area bigger than Israel on fire
Wild weather
Red moons
Dead fish

Geez what could be happening?

How long since Hillary was there?

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Well, Millenials don't consume the same. They have way way less purchasing power. They don't buy houses and new cars at the same rates that previous generations did. They participate in what's cvalled the shared economy.

There really little need to purchase, purchase, purchase. With how much inforation is available to accomadate sustainable or rather cheap living practices, what need is there to buy unwanted goods? Employers aren't going to pay you handsomly to do your job when someone else, younger and eager for that job will do it for cheaper, so why spend money that doesn't exist?

Practically all clothes could be bought at thrift stores and all items from garage sales and second hand stores as well that are essentials. The only outlier is food and transportation. Bicycles are the most economical form of transportation, if you live in an area where you can use them to get around. Growing your own vegetables and herbs, pickling and preserving foods, cuts the spending way down. If you have the time there is really only 50-100$ a week that you may need from stores and outside resorces.

I was born a capitalist and will die fighting them.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo
I saw earlier today via iPhone that they were lower than usual. Apple was down like 4% as well.

Now I check after reading this post and holy cow have the numbers dropped even more!

Apple supposedly sold 113 billion in their own stock.

Apple shreds stock USA TODAY

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

We've been having some reverse Robin Hood action going on for the last 3 or 4 decades.

Eventually when all the wealth and purchasing power has been sucked dry from the middle and lower classes, the whole system will collapse. The wealthy will be fine, as they've had enough time to insulate themselves with their mansions and pleasure domes.

It won't be a drastic over night crash, but a slow process. Over time people will come to accept the abject poverty and low standard of living, and more than likely corporate overlords controlling our daily lives.

Yes, a corporatized dystopia with massive poverty. This, in turn, will lead to high levels of crime and require near-military-like policing and occupation to keep the desperate masses under some kind of control.

Give it 50 years or so.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The meltdown is starting and is anybody really all that concerned?

I would bet you have little in the stock market... It was below 10,000 5 years ago so is it really a melt down...who knows...

Typically inflation doubles every 17 years so should the market be at 18,000 today or 13,000? I would say the margins and speculations is what has driven it up to a level that is greater than the actual worth so we have what is called a correction... Maybe if it drops to 2000 then I will worry...

edit on 22-8-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It is strange, everyone is distracted by other media sensations like what donald trump said on tv. Little does everyone know that the real show is about to happen in the stock market.

This isn't just a "correction" the global economy is weak. The USA was never in a recovery just an inflated bubble. We are in the longest period of poor economic activity since the Great Depression and all we're seeing is 1937 all over again.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

Quantitative Easement has created an artificial economic picture.

It's like "curing" cancer with pain meds.

Just because you hide the symptoms, doesn't mean that the disease is gone.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yep exactly. That rate hike everyone is concerned about? Not gonna happen. Instead QE4. After that, who's going to trust the USA or Dollar anymore?

I think TPTB know what's happening and are fighting to find a way to keep control.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I do not follow the stock market largely because I do not have a vested interest in it, however thanks to this thread I looked up the S&P 500 and it has taken a significant hit too.

Maybe we have hit a peak and a fall must happen, how long and how far will it continue to fall, who knows, I certainly do not.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Former Stockbroker here. Earnings drive the markets. In some cases hype drives the markets. Hype created the Internet bubble that collapsed in April of 2000, and what we saw is there were no real earnings by many of those companies.

The difficulty is discerning what are true earnings from false earnings. Many companies in the US have been riding the government stimulus money received a few years ago. These cash balances reflect to their balance sheets. What is unclear, is have these companies really reestablished profitability? I don't have the answers, since I don't analyze balance sheets much anymore. The Chinese markets have been bolstered by government intervention in a similar manner.

What we saw with Enron, is that there can be a lot of "creative accounting". My gut was right about that company, and I recommended against investing in it. My gut today, tells me there has been something fishy about the recent run up in the market. I can't offer conclusive evidence of that at the moment, but in an ever more complicated global economy, you cannot dismiss the many puppet strings that cross international boarders among many of these companies, and get a grip on where the earnings really are.
edit on 22-8-2015 by TheChrome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
I work for a company that manufactures freight rail cars, we got a massive contract to build tank cars for transporting mainly oil across North America, coming up this September there has been a slight hiccup in production, the two production lines which were pumping out 5 - 7 of these tankers a day were all laid off.
They said at the beginning of the contract the 50 some odd thousand tankers that needed to be made would give jobs for years to come, something is up with oil.

The speculation suppliers bought all the crude they could store in offshore tankers at the beginning of the year while prices were appearing to bottom out. Once the prices began to slowly climb again, they tried to sell these stores at higher future prices. I think they may have oversaturated the market a bit and we're seeing the result in deeper oil price drops. Of course, there's also the fact that a plunging DOW equals negative growth which means lower demand for goods and lower demand for trucks to haul said goods. If that's the case, we're looking at a repeat of 2007-2008.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Shut Down!

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Are you serious? Have none of you heard of the Shemittah? This happens every 7 years.Google it.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The bald guy on CNN's "Mad Money" is saying the overseas woes may create stock bargains at home, and something about carrying a baseball bat on your shoulder. I have no clue what baseball bats have to do with stock.

Does anyone actually take this guy seriously? I just remember John Stewart ripping him apart and that's about it.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Finally.. it has begun..

AZAZEL has broken free of her chains....

HAHAHAHA

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Futures for Monday are way down

money.cnn.com...

smells like war.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join