It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anybody noticed the U.S. stock market decline?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
When the Dow tanked at 1000 Treasury Secretary Jack Lew met with Obama behind closed doors. At least that's what Fox Business reported. I wonder if the White House will make a statement?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Did anyone take you up on your bet? And if so who won?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
When the Dow tanked at 1000 Treasury Secretary Jack Lew met with Obama behind closed doors. At least that's what Fox Business reported. I wonder if the White House will make a statement?

they were plotting the end of the world, right?...what else could it be? bring on the fear, Fox business, throw out the red meat

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

they were plotting the end of the world, right?...what else could it be? bring on the fear, Fox business, throw out the red meat

They were probably discussing Treasury Bond sales and those "extraordinary measures" they've been using for the past 4 months since the debt ceiling freeze last March.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Semicollegiate

Interesting. When Denton County tried to ban fracking Governor Abbott overturned it.

A portion of the population now works part time so that's probably the traffic you see. (And the self-employed like myself) But I agree that it seems to be rush hour at all times of the day. At least, where I am.

Oil is at $38.91 and the Dow continues to drop and has lost 418 pts.

The stock market will not drop to real value, but a set back like this will be spun like normal ups and downs in the big picture.

On one hand the stock market is real valued in inflation money, on the other hand inflation money is a Ponzi Scheme that must crash or grind down to absolute poverty.

I think they will grind it down slowly to avoid mass panic. In other words, they will always print enough money for government dole. But the dole will buy less and less, no matter how many dollars it is.

Part time drivers makes sense.
edit on 24-8-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Maybe but with 56 countries being in some fashion of leaving the petro dollar all that money will flow into the economy for real assets and not go back out. That in itself might dictate a contraction of the money supply. Not sure printing more dollars is even feasible when taking into account what's going on with the Petro dollar. Or maybe there is no pending Petro dollar death/decline and I am clueless. Who knows
edit on 24-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: Spelling

edit on 24-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What gets me is the stock market is driven by the high-frequency-traders (HFTs) the teams of professionals on the Fund Managers payroll, the banks/financial institutions.... all of them well schooled experts in the investment tricks, ploys, algorithm, snarky facts. etc.
the stocks/equities are driven not only by product but elements like 'carry trade' money, profits not from product but from buying back shares and decreasing the payout for float shares (the treasury shares are not an expense)
the companies are doing their share-buy-backs with cheap QE monies which has ended to our misinformed knowledge.

the equities have many more elements effecting their bottom line than product/sales/taxes/....
and that is why I am amazed as the drama today....where an Army of economists/investors/mouth-pieces for the gov't were able to make the populace following CNBC talking heads reverse the panic sales into panic buying & reduce the 1,089 drop in the market to a mere -110 points at mid-day

the overpriced crud they are pushing need to be at the pre QE valuations that were predominant after the 2008 crash somewhere around 12K-13k nowhere near the present 15,500 that they are collectively labeling the proper CORRECTION

I am disgusted
I really am, with all the games being foisted on the public (a mal informed public at that !

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

I wonder if the White House will make a statement?

There was a government news conference videocast earlier in the day.
Obama is on vacation but the spokesperson said they are aware of the global market volatility.

The spokesman was honest didn't have a clue about what the Fed was thinking but suggested "in the long term" the US economy looked a little more solid. What could he say its a correction and they aren't going to tell us if its 10% 15% or even 20% how could they? Kind of boring speech I found myself counting stars on that flag that was hung so crooked..

There is the problem of the Widows and orphans and people working doubles that are trapped in their stock fund tax shelters. China is probably just trying to get their export customers to stimulate the global economy by using those secret "extraordinary measures". Global inflation is China's friend.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

They were probably trying to figure out how to handle this gaff ....

Jack Lew, speaking at the Brookings Institution in July, confidently assured that Americans were immune from weakening markets in China.

"I will say that China’s markets still are pretty much separated from world markets," the secretary of Treasury, said. "They’re, obviously, moving towards being more integrated, but right now they’re not."

"So you’re not going to, I don’t think, see the direct linkage there," Lew said.

Jack Lew in China: China’s Markets Aren’t ‘Linked’ to Rest of World (in july)

"confidently assured"

edit on Aug-24-2015 by xuenchen because: Doh !!

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Maybe but with 56 countries being in some fashion of leaving the petro dollar all that money will flow into the economy for real assets and not go back out. That in itself might dictate a contraction of the money supply. Not sure printing more dollars is even feasible when taking into account what's going on with the Petro dollar. Or maybe there is no pending Petro dollar death/decline and I am clueless. Who knows

Its all central bank dollars now.

Petro dollars would be money that isn't inflated for any plausible reason, that is, money that has value based on the scarcity and fixed value of money (petro dollars), and not money based on how it moves through the economy (central bank created dollars).

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Maybe but with 56 countries being in some fashion of leaving the petro dollar all that money will flow into the economy for real assets and not go back out. That in itself might dictate a contraction of the money supply. Not sure printing more dollars is even feasible when taking into account what's going on with the Petri dollar. Or maybe there is no pending Petro dollar death/decline and I am clueless. Who knows

maybe the rest of the world realizes that we can produce our own massive amounts of oil, and are not completely dependent on their oil. combined with Canada's vast resources that they could ramp up and sell to us, the US isn't looking too shabby. now the national debt on the other hand, is one big cluster F, that needs taxes raised and programs cut.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Hey we can not have a markets hiccup during presidential hopeful campaigns now, I am sure that things will be done to make the illusion of prosperity (in the markets) last a bit longer.

As usual the elites plot at the expenses of the working class, but hell we all know how that work right?

QE4s anyone?

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

As of 2014 Canada has been our number one top oil seller, and yes we do produce plenty, but most of our profitable wells are on contract to foreign countries like UK.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Dow Futures are up a little right now

+125

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I am sure the central banks are in full gear with those QEs in Europe.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

But the petro dollar has been one of the primary reasons that the Fed has been able to have so much printed . Without that demand we would already have a problem with too much supply when those dollars come in but not back out because oil for dollars has now become oil for gold or oil for whatever else. Just not sure printing more is even an option

The other two issues resulting from the petro death would be that those nations would no longer need to keep a percentage of profits in western banks. And no longer be purchasing the amount of our debt securities.

While it may not tie directly to the markets decline or correction. ( depends on your view) What it will do is make it hard to come up with a feasible response should a recession hit. My guess is why the Fed said just a few days ago they are pretty much out of ammo.

www.wsj.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

No, he did that when he hired the people responsible for the 08 financial crash to be on his staff.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks

The Banksters can charge a negative interest rate if the fees and withdrawal penalties are higher that that interest rate.

Mises Daily

Why Government Hates Cash by Joseph T. Salerno
Mises Daily Aug 24 2015

August 24, 2015•Joseph T. Salerno

Tags Money and Banks, The Police State, Money and Banking

In April it was announced that Greece was imposing a surcharge for all cash withdrawals from bank accounts to deter citizens from clearing out their accounts. So now the Greeks will have to pay one euro per 1,000 euros that they withdraw, which is one-tenth of a percent. It doesn’t seem very big, but the principle at work is extremely big because what they’re in effect doing is breaking the exchange rate between a unit of bank deposits and a unit of currency.

Why would they do this? Why would they want to do this? Well, it’s one of the anti-cash policies that mainstream economists have vigorously been promoting.

So the system is now structured to lock the money in the banks. Now, what does that allow them to do? [ in the future ] If you lose 10 percent every time you withdraw one euro in cash, they can lower the interest rate that you get on bank deposits to negative 5 percent, or negative 6 percent. You still wouldn’t withdraw your cash from the banks even if the interest rate went negative.

What we are witnessing is a war on cash in which governments make it either illegal or inconvenient to use cash. This, in turn, allows governments the ability to spy on and regulate financial transactions more completely, while also allowing governments more leeway in manipulating the money supply.

They can get more ammunition with negative interest rates.

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Nothing to see here;

Monday ended the biggest three-day loss for the Dow ever with 1,477.45 points shed. (The next biggest three-day loss for the Dow totaled 929.49 points in November 2008.)

The Dow has been down five consecutive days for a point loss of 1,673.9.

Cumulative volume traded was 13.94 billion shares for the highest volume day since Aug. 10, 2011, when 15.19 billion shares traded.

The Dow traveled more than 3,000 points within the first 90 minutes of trading on Monday.

WTI settled down 5.5 percent for the worst day since July 6 when it lost 7.73 percent. (Monday's low of $37.75 was WTI's lowest point since Feb. 24, 2009, when it hit a low of $37.65.)

9 out of 10 S&P 500 sectors are in correction; (energy and materials are off their highs by 20 percent or greater).

Industrials, tech, telecom, utilities, financials, consumer discretionary and health care are all off their highs by 10 percent or more.

S&P 500 companies collectively lost about $685 billion in market cap (about $100 billion more than Apple's market cap).

NYSE volume was at 6.57 billion shares, the heaviest since Oct. 27, 2011.

Shimita year is really heating up near the end, Hang on for the remainder of the ride to September 11th.

edit on 24/8/15 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

That could be an ill omen. This happened in 2008, with Hank Paulson having a couple of closed door meetings with Bush just before He and Hurricane Ben Benanke presented the rumored "Doomsday Scenario" to Congress in a top secret briefing threatening full collapse if they didn't pass the bailouts. When/if we hear of a closed door that includes Janet Yellin, be afraid, be very afraid.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join