It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama declares emergency in Washington

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Stay safe people, up north we are also having issues with too many forest fires, this year has been on record for high heat and the lack of rain and snow, the closest fire to where i live is 60k north east of here, alot of people have been affected and we cant wait for the rain to come back.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
a reply to: Kali74

Thats 10937 square miles to put that into perspective Israel is 8019 square miles

A lot of fertile land in the future, buy it up!

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Stay safe people, up north we are also having issues with too many forest fires, this year has been on record for high heat and the lack of rain and snow, the closest fire to where i live is 60k north east of here, alot of people have been affected and we cant wait for the rain to come back.

Nope, pot pipes started the fires
Pot pipe fire

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I know it has to be bad. I live in the southern part of Montana, and I can say that a couple of days ago, the sunrise was red in color from the smoke, and at sunset it was red to orange from all of the smoke. I lived in a valley in Montana one time with a wildfire in the same state, and it was far worse than it is HERE now. As bad as it is, and as far as I am away from it-something needs to be done. They really should allow workers to thin out the dead trees and underbrush that can cause these kinds of fires. If trees are growing too closely together, thin them some as well. There have been many wildfires over the years. Even if cutting trees accounts for some amount of C02 production, it will be a lot less harmful to the environment than these wildfires! What they need to do is get someone who is familiar with the forests to help "mark" the trees that need to be removed, then plant new trees. Imagine the jobs that could be created with monitoring and upkeep of forests! Will it ever happen

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Four MAFFS equipped C-130s have been flying in California, and 200 active duty troops are going through fire training now to deploy this weekend. An additional 200 Washington National Guard troops will deploy too.

Of the 10,000 or so battling the fires, almost fifty percent are non violent low level prison inmates.

These guys are on the front lines putting their lives at risk, perhaps they should be given their freedom instead.

Source

About half of the people fighting wildland fires on the ground for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) are incarcerated: over 4,400 prisoners, housed at 42 inmate fire camps, including three for women. Together, says Capt. Jorge Santana, the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation (CDCR) liaison who supervises the camps, they save the state over $1 billion a year.

edit on 22-8-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

7 million acres burned so far this year nationwide.

5.2 Million of those acres have been here in Alaska.
A scant snowpack + very dry summer + thunderstorms = 2015 on track to become worst Alaska fire year on record.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I read in our papers here yesterday that the U.S Govt formally requested assistance from Aussie and New Zealand firefighters and we're sending as many as we can spare - we're coming into bushfire season ourselves and it's starting to look like another huge year here too.

I've lived through a few bushfires myself and it's not pretty, my heart goes out to those in the affected regions. We take bushfires extremely seriously down here, my wifes grandfather was burned to death fighting fires in the 60's just near where I live.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I wish they'd declare an Emergency on the Raging Wildfire in the WhiteHouse. Now that would be something.

I have nothing but compassion for those who have to deal with these fires. But i also wonder who deliberately started over half of them. Everytime something big is about to go down on this planet, ""something"" sidetracks the Sheeple. Things are beginning to feel most Precarious these days.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

But i also wonder who deliberately started over half of them.

You would be surprised how many people try to join firefighting units in order to start fires themselves. Some people just like to watch stuff burn - it sounds simplistic buts that's the truth. Others like to see the results of their handiwork on TV. Seriously, these are sick people.

Also, my wife's father was a firefighter and he told me stories of firefighters becoming mesmerized by the flames and literally starting to walk straight into them before someone tackled them or pulled them away.

Down here most Aussies see people who start fires as some of the lowest scum on Earth - we publically shame them as well as lock them away for a few decades.

Having said that, many fires aren't deliberate - a cars exhaust pipe can light the bush around it if you drive through it - seen that before, also people throwing cigarette butts out the car window have started many fires down here. In fact, living in an extremely bushfire prone area myself I've seen locals shun other locals they catch throwing butts out their window - and the coppers take it very seriously too.
edit on 22/8/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Having family there i know how bad it can get during certain times of the year. I think it's terrible that anyone would deliberately go out of there way to do something so vile. I highly doubt however it's always some kook or some ordinary joe who just decides to start a fire, and i know it does occur and there are a lot of mentally inept humans on planet nuthouse. But i also wonder how many people 'in power' and privy to such occurences and where they abide, whether they had a hand in it or not, and i'm 150% sure it's YES. People are going mad, mostly those running the planet. It's a sad sad planet we live on. It's insane.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Houses are burning down in Chelan, apparently. Over in Walla Walla we have a fire that is almost out but it threatened our town's water supply.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

You mentioned Chelan, I thought this site might help, for those who are not really familar with the area.

gacc.nifc.gov...-OWF-000650

Very scary to me. I was thinking this morning how this would NOT be a good time for an Earthquake.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The wind is finally blowing some of the smoke out of our area. We saw one of the fires actually start from a lighting strike last Friday. It took them a week to contain it. There has been some articles in the local paper that there have been at least 17 incidents of arson in the Hayden Idaho area. I don't think any have turned into the bigger fires but that is pretty scary when you live in a forested area.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I am so sick of this hot dry summer it's been the worst. My heart goes out to all of those who've lost property and families of those who have died fighting the fires.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
there are so many wildfires in washington that it is mind boggling!
i have been searching but see no containment % on any of them!
i live in the S.E. of Washington..nothing here but smoke.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
There is not global warming... there is not global warming... there is no global warming...

Let us pray...

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Watcher777
There has been some articles in the local paper that there have been at least 17 incidents of arson in the Hayden Idaho area. I don't think any have turned into the bigger fires but that is pretty scary when you live in a forested area.

That's the type of individual and situation in which there ought to be a "Town Posse" exception within the law, permitting the impacted community to simply seize the arsonist and either hang him or drag him behind the town and shoot him. What a sick little insecure defective.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PresidentHeston

Has El Nino ever been linked to global warming?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

The issues in WA are easy to explain. We screwed up. You need to allow things to burn on occasion, or else too much material is left and causes a larger issue.

Hearts go out to you guys, we went through the same thing 5 years ago, let the undergrowth and leaf litter get too high, 271 people died (Black Saturday). They have been carrying out fuel reduction burns in the last 3 years like they just got religion.

You asked for prayers for your people Domo, you have them.
edit on 23/8/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

No. Because instead of conservation, we've got a preservation mindset prevailing, and they tend to think that nothing, including fire ought to touch the sacred trees.

So they don't allow thinning or even periodic burns. So it builds up, and you eventually get this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join