It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama declares emergency in Washington

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

President Obama declared an emergency exists in Washington due to raging wildfires and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the counties of Asotin, Chelan, Douglas, Ferry, Klickitat, Okanogan, Pend Oreille,

President Obama declares emergency in Washington

Good. I wasn't even aware the fires were that bad until yesterday. I actually saw earlier that they're now accepting civilian help in battling the fires, something that hasn't happened before. I was thinking about doing it, but apparently even people that are well qualified (IDK what that entails in this situation) are going to be thoroughly vetted.

Help is apparently coming from Minnesota now too. We could probably use a lot more than that. It's been pretty freaking dry here this summer.

For those that aren't aware, Eastern WA is actually pretty arid. We could really use some rain and prayers over here.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Between the drought and the mismanagement of the forest, there is a lot of dry undergrowth that is going to make fighting those fires very difficult because it has built up over a LOT of years.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Four MAFFS equipped C-130s have been flying in California, and 200 active duty troops are going through fire training now to deploy this weekend. An additional 200 Washington National Guard troops will deploy too.
edit on 8/21/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I'm a little worried about it. I hope we throw a lot at it before it gets even more unmanageable.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, I'm a little worried about it. I hope we throw a lot at it before it gets even more unmanageable.

Believe me, I feel for people stuck in the paths of those guys whether they're in Cali or somewhere else. Nature intends for her lands to burn off every so often, not be utterly fire pristine.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Three firefighters were killed yesterday with another critically injured.
edit on 8/21/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Theres a ton in Idaho too where I have family

Its getting bad in the Pacific North West

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
We're in a tiny pocket of Oregon where it's been perfect. But the rest of he state is on fire!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

We had to stop for a little while a couple weeks ago because I-84 was shut down the first time.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Methinks Gods back and he is not happy.The amount of things going on is incredible

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Some friends got caught in a brush fire south of us on 101. They had to take some serious detours just to go north.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

7 million acres burned so far this year nationwide.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The one on 84 was bad enough. Even after they beat it back it was pretty bad along the road.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The fast tanker fleet is getting a real test and workout. Working surprisingly well so far.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Thats 10937 square miles to put that into perspective Israel is 8019 square miles

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is the first thing the Idiot-In-Chief has done right in the last six years. These people need serious help out there.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The one on 84 was bad enough. Even after they beat it back it was pretty bad along the road.

The worst part was that people still drove 65 through all the friggin' smoke!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Yeah that doesn't surprise me at all.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Out there on the coast like you are (if I remember correctly) it is ok. In land here in the Umpqua Basins we have had smoke off and on for the last month from the fires out in Stouts Creek and another one up towards Crater Lake Today is clear though and thankfully so.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

A few years back, there was smoke from a big fire that settled out over our area, and it settled into my lungs and wreaked havoc between a respiratory infection I already had, the fall foliage which is always worse for my hay fever, and my asthma which can occasionally get aggravated.

It took two heavy courses of anti-biotics and I'm pretty sure I coughed at least a crack into one rib.

People in the same boat as me are going to be feeling it wherever that smoke settles out unless the wind pushes it out pretty quickly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join