It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The ways of sacrifice; Better than the fat of rams

page: 1

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:02 PM
As was normal in the culture of the time, the custom of ancient Israel was to make offerings to their God in the form of animal sacrifice.
Their God honoured their intentions by accepting and regulating the offerings.
But he also made it clear, on many occasions, that he would rather have something different.

Thus the basic principle which underlies the laws of Deuteronomy is that keeping the laws is the most important thing they can do;
“And these words which I command you this day shall be upon your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house”- Deuteronomy ch6 vv6-7.
The knowledge of these laws is the key to life; “that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone but that man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord”- Deuteronomy ch8 v3
Even in Leviticus, where most of the regulations about sacrifice are laid out, we find the warning that their good relationship with God will really depend upon their keeping of the other laws;
“If you walk in my statutes and observe my commandments and do them…”- Leviticus ch26 v3

When Saul was gathering the army to fight the Philistines, he was told to wait for Samuel to arrive at Gilgal. When Samuel was late, and the people were threatening to disperse, Saul decided that battle was imminent and it was necessary to “entreat the favour of the Lord” by making a burnt offering and giving peace offerings.
So Samuel rebuked him because “you have not kept the commandment of the Lord your God, which he commanded you”.
The story makes it clear, incidentally, that Saul’s disobedience lay in his failure to wait, because that was the instruction he had been given.

Saul was in trouble again a couple of chapters later, when Samuel commissioned him to destroy the Amelekites, not just the people themselves but all their animal property.
In the event, Saul allowed the people to preserve the sheep and oxen, offering the excuse that they had been spared “to offer to the Lord your God”.
This earned him the classic rebuke;
“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to hearken than the fat of rams.” 1 Samuel ch15 v22

We are told in Proverbs that
“To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice”- Proverbs ch21 v3
This comes to the same thing, because righteousness and justice are part of the commands of the Lord.

Therefore Hosea says
“I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings”- Hosea ch6 v6
Amos elaborates on the point, with passionate sarcasm;
“Come to Bethel and transgress; to Gilgal and multiply transgression;
Bring your sacrifices every morning, your tithes every three days;
Offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving of that which is leavened, and proclaim freewill offerings, publish them;
For so you love to do, O people of Israel…
I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies.
Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and cereal offerings, I will not accept them…
But let justice roll down like rivers, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream”- Amos ch4 vv4-5 and ch5 vv21-24.

Similarly the teachings of Isaiah almost begin with the Lord’s complaint;
“What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? Says the Lord;
I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed beasts;
I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of he-goats.” – Isaiah ch1 v11
The Lord’s real objection to these sacrifices and to all the “appointed feasts” is that they are being combined with iniquity and injustice;
“Your hands are full of blood” (v15)

Yet the situation has not improved by the time we reach the end of the book;
“He who slaughters an ox is like him who kills a man;
He who sacrifices a lamb, like him who breaks a dog’s neck;
He who presents a cereal offering, like him who offers swine’s blood;
He who makes a memorial offering of frankincense, like him who blesses an idol.”
Why? Because “they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations”.
-Isaiah ch66 v3

One way of interpreting this relentless criticism is that the prophets are campaigning to modify an Israelite religion based originally on sacrifice.
Yet Jeremiah would disagree.
“For in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak to your fathers or command them concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices. But this command I gave them, ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people; and walk in the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’”- Jeremiah ch7 vv22-23
I think the prophet may have a point, and he may be offering a more accurate version of the history of Israel’s religion.

In the modern analysis of the way the Old Testament was put together, the codes of law in Exodus are thought to be among the earlier elements.
The very act of publishing laws implies the importance of the principle that the laws should be obeyed.
Whereas the elaborate ritual code of Leviticus is now thought to have attained its final form as late as the time of the Exile in Babylon.

I would suggest, then, that a “Sinai” religion based upon the commands of God about righteousness and justice was originally grafted onto a local culture based upon sacrifice.
That in the course of time, the “sacrifice” element of this combination increased its dominance, as a professional priesthood developed, and as they became settled in permanent Temples.
And that the teaching of the prophets was protesting against this modification and trying to shift the balance of Israel’s religion back to its original form; that is, with a greater emphasis on the keeping of the commandments.

So we should understand that obedience is better than sacrifice.
Or we might put it another way, and call obedience a kind of sacrifice which is better than animal sacrifice.
That would be because it is a form of self-offering, which is closer to what God really wants, while the offerings of animals, cereals, oil, or wine, are only symbols of that self-offering.

Obedience is also an act of faith, in that the roots of our disobedience and self-will lie in our distrust.
Thus the essence of obedience is that it’s a way of offering ourselves to God in trust.

The best presentation of this obedience is the well-known figure in Psalm 40;
“Sacrifice and offering thou dost not desire;
But thou hast given me an open ear.
Burnt offering and sin offering thou hast not required.
Then I said, ‘Lo, I come;
In the roll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do thy will, O my God;
Thy law is within my heart.’” (vv6-7)

Of course these words are quoted in Hebrews (ch10 vv5-10) with reference to Jesus, who is understood in Christian teaching to represent the most perfect self-offering of them all.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:11 PM
a reply to: DISRAELI

In the New Testament Jesus also points out that ethics/morals, are more important than ceremonial sacrifice as in Matthew 5:23, 24.

23 "Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

Also in Mark 12:33

33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:14 PM

Also Psalm 51:

14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
The God of my salvation,
And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.
15 O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.

16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering.

17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:08 AM
a reply to: akaal
Thank you for that quotation.
Yes, the teaching of Jesus is distilling the essence of the teaching of the Old Testament, and that verse from Mark was a deliberate summing up of the O.T.
There is a continuity.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 08:43 AM
a reply to: Awen24
Yes, that Psalm is also very relevant, thank you.
(I didn't forget it, but I was holding it in reserve for next week's thread on Repentance)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM

Your welcome. I think many people don't realize how everything Jesus speaks of can be tied to the old testament.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 04:55 PM
For information;

This is one of a number of threads written on the theme of offerings and sacrifice.
There will be an Index thread to link them together in the near future (but not this week).

new topics

top topics