It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: A group of US Marines foiled a potential terror attack on a French train

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Shots were fired on a Thalys high-speed train between Amsterdam and Paris and three people were injured, the Voix du Nord regional newspaper said on Friday.

"A man opened fire on this Thalys train between Amsterdam and Paris, one person was very seriously injured," Pierre Henry Brandet, the French interior ministry spokesman, said. "Talking about a terrorist motive would be premature at the moment."

The Telegraph, citing Voix du Nord, reports that a group of US Marines who happened to be aboard the train foiled the attack. The Marines heard the assailant loading a rifle in the bathroom and were able to subdue him after he wounded three passengers.

Report: A group of US Marines foiled a potential terror attack on a French train

♪ America, **** yeah! ♪

Glad to see the situation was handled without anyone getting killed. It sounds like this could have been much MUCH worse. The guy had 7 loaded magazines and and an "AK 47". That's a lot of firepower in a small area that I would think is very target rich.

I don't actually care that Americans were the ones to foil this potential tragedy, just glad someone did. I really hope some video gets released, I'll probably have a raging justice issue if I watch it.

I fear that if some group starts a campaign of terror on public transportation in major cities it could easily shut down a country for awhile. The DC snipers had an alarmingly large impact, imagine that in multiple large cities with a vague warning about continued attacks. Scary stuff.

So are we taking bets? Disenfranchised mime?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Who ever of our people that said that we dont need marines never had one save their lives. Who ever of our enemies that said that they dont care if we have marines never had to face one.

Thanks guys.

edit on 8 21 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
In the source:

"Talking about a terrorist motive would be premature at the moment"

In the title:

"A group of US Marines foiled a potential terror attack on a French train "

Use it enough times in an article confirming or denying and even if it turns out to not be terrorist related, it will be terrorist related.

Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist,

Jude

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

WOO WOO! GJ guys!

Gotta love a story involving terrorism that doesn't end in complete tragedy.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
We're starting to get to the point now where we will be needing full airport-esque checks before allowing anyone onto public transport...

Sigh.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Not Marines.

Three Wounded in Attack on French Train

Early reports that U.S. Marines were involved proved unfounded; the U.S. Marine Corps at the Pentagon said that the service members on the train weren’t Marines.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: oletimer

some folks need to get their stories straight then....

www.cnn.com...

btw guys... there is a thread on this already. But two different threads of anti-american rhetoric is more fun than one. Let the fun begin.
edit on 21-8-2015 by YeahYea4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: YeahYea4
btw guys... there is a thread on this already.

A breaking news topic in this forum (Breaking Alternative News) can also be posted to one other forum. This is the only exception to allowing duplicate threads.

This thread will continue.

Please do not respond to this post.

edit on 21-8-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: YeahYea4

CNN just says Americans, they don't say Marines. It won't surprise me if the story turns out to have some nonsense in it, this is a glorious time for nonsense in media.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I guess the French can take the stick out of their asses now.
edit on 21-8-2015 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

this is what CNN actually said....

The Marines overpowered the suspect, who was placed under arrest when the train was rerouted to the town of Arras, about 115 miles (185 kilometers) north of Paris. One of the Marines was wounded, the Pentagon said.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: YeahYea4

Oh my bad, I thought there was only video. I didn't hear them mention Marines when I watched it.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

No worries man. Its absolutely impossible to read all articles and watch all videos posted at ATS. Im with you in that there may be more to the story though. It seems convoluted at this point.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well, someone stopped some psycho nutjob from killing a bunch of people, so whoever did it, bro fist.

I'm seeing reports that it was or wasn't Marines, that it was U.S. military personnel. It seems more likely to be army or Air Force, as the last station in Europe that I knew had Marines was down in Rota, Spain, and they have been long gone.. Just Army and Air Force along the Rhein from Germany to the Benelux countries, and trips to A-dam and Paris were pretty common when I was in, as Paris was only an hour, and A-Dam, 3 hours from where I was based.

Of course, it could very well have been Marines stationed elsewhere on leave seeing the sights, which was pretty common. I once ran into a couple dudes who were stationed in Okinawa but hat jumped a MAC flight to Europe to visit Germany and see the sights.

Either way, whoever did it, awesome.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
How did that terrorist get an assault rifle in Europe? Aren't they illegal?

Kudo's to the US Marines. International badasses.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Seems to be the latest...

Handgun and a knife did the deeds.

www.washingtonpost.com... ory.html

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
In the source:

"Talking about a terrorist motive would be premature at the moment"

In the title:

"A group of US Marines foiled a potential terror attack on a French train "

Use it enough times in an article confirming or denying and even if it turns out to not be terrorist related, it will be terrorist related.

Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist, Terrorist,

Jude

Well given that he had an AK with 7 clips, was apparently heard loading it in the bathroom, and had to be subdued, I'd say its safe to start calling this a potential terrorist attack.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well, everything I'm reading indicates it was a pair of Marines. Likely on leave.

Seems like marines don't take leave so much as don their civies and go look for some terrorist ass to kick elsewhere.

Metal.I hope these guys get medals and promotions, to start with.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Seven CLIPS? Or seven magazines?

There's a difference!

Aside from that, whoever prevented immediate death and mass casualty circumstances, well played those persons. The human race owes you a pint!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join