It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Police Brutality? How About Black Brutality?”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
White on white.. black on black misses the point. We are talking about a culture of violence.

agreed, all the way around

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
To suggest that black people are more violent than any other race is ignorant. But let's balance it out and say white people are the most corrupt people I've ever seen

ehh, not a bad attempt, but i guess you havent been to south east asia where you can buy your way out of prison, or your friends, bribe's are part of society like "on the spot fines"
edit on 21-8-2015 by PLAYERONE01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
No point.
edit on 18Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:18:31 -050015p062015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: roadgravel
Like the home invasion on the Lash family. Shooting the husband and chasing the wife and baby down while shooting at them.

Seems like gang violence has been written of as a normal part of life.

What she is saying and what I absolutely agree with is that the violence of the times is coming from all angles yet many are choosing to ignore an important part of it.

She is addressing the hypocrisy of just focusing on the rising police violence against black people while ignoring the ever existing black on black violence in her own neighborhood. If people focus solely on the cops, who is focusing on the other?

Jude

Yes, I got that. My post was supporting the point. 90% of the issues are being overlooked. Getting shot by a cop is not the most likely way for the person to die.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
BRAVA, Peggy!
PERFECT!!!

Thanks for posting, jude.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Wow....just WOW!

That video was....I have no words right now. Probably should have waited to post until I had them but, I wanted to respond based upon my initial reaction and without reading any replies.

This woman is smart, strong willed and tough as nails and I have the utmost respect for her.

I'm sure it took a lot for her to speak her truth knowing that she will likely get plenty of backlash from her own community but, she spoke it anyway. Good for her.

What about that poor 9 year old girl shot in her own room while doing her homework? What about HER?

Where is the OUTRAGE? Instead, its placed on a known thug. Its just tragic folks! Tragic in the deepest sense and, just plain backwards.

I'm a tough love mother too because that is how I was raised. I applaud her for not coddling her kids too much. It just makes them soft and unprepared for the realities of this world. Good for her.

My thoughts and prayers go out to that poor little girls family. Bless her pure little innocent soul.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yes, I got that. My post was supporting the point. 90% of the issues are being overlooked. Getting shot by a cop is not the most likely way for the person to die.

But there are a significant number of police shootings of unarmed Black Americans?

That is the focus of BLM.

I applaud your interest in and horror about Black on Black crime. What are you doing about it?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

But there are a significant number of police shootings of unarmed Black Americans?

That is the focus of BLM.

I applaud your interest in and horror about Black on Black crime. What are you doing about it?

No offense intended at all, I assure you. But, in this case is should be about Children's Live's Matter. That is what this woman was so angry about.

Yes, a black man was shot but, there was also a black child shot by another black person. That is why she was so angry.

I promise, I am not trying to debate your stance or opinion on police brutality because it ABSOLUTELY exists...I'm not debating that at all.

That video just struck something in me and I can't shake the image of a a little girl sitting in her own room, doing her homework and then out of no where being shot dead.

NO ONE is standing up for her...instead they are defending what this lady in the video described as a "known thug".

That is an injustice.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Little confused here. Let's assume blm is right on the money. Black people are being systematically destroyed and the implementation of that destruction comes at the hands of a brutal and for all intended purposes racist police force throughout America and vigilantes on top of that so we really really have multiple wammys going on here.

Now I have heard the comments that you don't see these problems in places like poor white communities or anywhere else. Can't really say the argument holds up when searching for patterns. Mainly the race aspect could come into play, not too many instances of the Hatfield and McCoy gangs in poor white communities and several other different factors. Where to look?

Poor Hispanic communties. Racial minority...check. Poor...check gangs....check...drugs....check...not great schools...check...not great relationship with cops.....check. pretty much do a large side by side check list. Large prison population....check.

So if we go back to the basis of what blm is saying would the same exact things not be happening in the poor Hispanic communties ? Racist cops acting as the implementation tool for the systematic destruction of poor minority communities? Just not seeing the same, maybe haven't looked hard enough. But with a solid comparison what would the difference be? Selective racism at the hands of the cops? Selective destruction at the hands of the system? I am very curious, it seems if the basis of the complaints of blm are accurate, it would be the exact same if in no other place the poor Hispanic communities. Why not?

There are problems, cop shooting man running in south Carolina. Several other examples. But what I am asking is if the basis of what blm says is true , it should be seen elsewhere per my comparison. If not, then maybe the problem identification method is off and a conversation should happen in the pursuit of real results. If you can't identify the actual problem(s) how on earth can you solve. If the problem is there and in some cases is, but you are identifying the wrong reasons (racist cops out to destroy minorities, etc) why are you fighting since you can't root it out?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Mrs. Hubbard was obviously upset about several matters, not the least of which was her own son being incarcerated.

Children, sadly, are killed every day. Many by stray bullets, as was the young girl she mentioned.

It's a horrifying issue. One which we all should care about and work to stop.

It was a powerful message. I do not and have not denied that.

My statement is simple: the lady gave her opinion, passionately.

THAT doesn't prove that the Black Lives Matter effort is pointless, hypocritical, racist, or any other of the band-wagon style BS comments that were made in the wake of the OP in this thread.

I did not say the lady was wrong. I did not say that Black on Black violence is unimportant.

Indeed, I'd love to see a nationwide effort to address not only that, but all gun violence. Oops, now I've invoked the ire of the 2nd Amendment zealots. (PS, I don't want to take your guns away.)

But while we're talking about violence against children, do you remember the issue of the little girl that was badly burned by a Georgia SWAT team?

No Indictments for Georgia SWAT Team that Burned Baby with Stun Grenade

I remember this sadly because it's in my home state. The alleged drug dealer they were after was at another home entirely.

edit on 19Fri, 21 Aug 2015 19:11:06 -050015p072015866 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Simmderdown

You are welcome to your opinion but mine is that we must also address how the police targeted black communities in certain parts of the US.

Yes, the thug culture is part of it, but to dismiss other issues related is short-sighted in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

In all honesty, what can people do about it? In most public circles, if a Caucasan or a non-inner city African American brings the topic to the table, they are told "You're part of the problem" and called some manner of a racist or tool. This is a prime example of a problem that MUST be resolved internally within the communities where the impact is felt the greatest. Until there is universal buy-in that violence, domestic violence, and the ridiculous gang banging crap are unacceptable, no "outsider" or collective of "outsiders" are going to manufacture change.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I agree, but we're also talking about a community that feels they have been targeted by police, and I think they have a legitimate compliant. I wonder what sort of internal dialogue could be created within these communities if the police finally said "ya, we were wrong. We apologize and will begin to hold ourselves accountable".

Then the only place they could look for people to blame would be themselves.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

In all honesty, what can people do about it? In most public circles, if a Caucasan or a non-inner city African American brings the topic to the table, they are told "You're part of the problem" and called some manner of a racist or tool. This is a prime example of a problem that MUST be resolved internally within the communities where the impact is felt the greatest. Until there is universal buy-in that violence, domestic violence, and the ridiculous gang banging crap are unacceptable, no "outsider" or collective of "outsiders" are going to manufacture change.

Well now, that's a much more reasonable response! Well, at least at the beginning.

No, not every "Caucasian" is told that we are part of the problem. You're making huge exaggerations again.

Perhaps, and I'm just spitballin' here, if the larger culture gave the "thugs and criminals" less ammunition to reinforce the ideas that they promote to keep power (admittedly often racist) that everyone "out there" was against Black people, by the irrational level of police violence that we've seen, by comments like the ones made in this thread, to our own cultural glorification of violence ... that might give folks within the culture a bit of needed space in which to work.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I agree, but we're also talking about a community that feels they have been targeted by police, and I think they have a legitimate compliant. I wonder what sort of internal dialogue could be created within these communities if the police finally said "ya, we were wrong. We apologize and will begin to hold ourselves accountable".

Black communities aren't targeted by police, high crime communities are. Its not the cops' fault that those communities happen to be predominately black. The police have nothing to apologize for.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Mrs. Hubbard was obviously upset about several matters, not the least of which was her own son being incarcerated.

Children, sadly, are killed every day. Many by stray bullets, as was the young girl she mentioned.

It's a horrifying issue. One which we all should care about and work to stop.

It was a powerful message. I do not and have not denied that.

My statement is simple: the lady gave her opinion, passionately.

THAT doesn't prove that the Black Lives Matter effort is pointless, hypocritical, racist, or any other of the band-wagon style BS comments that were made in the wake of the OP in this thread.

I did not say the lady was wrong. I did not say that Black on Black violence is unimportant.

Indeed, I'd love to see a nationwide effort to address not only that, but all gun violence. Oops, now I've invoked the ire of the 2nd Amendment zealots. (PS, I don't want to take your guns away.)

But while we're talking about violence against children, do you remember the issue of the little girl that was badly burned by a Georgia SWAT team?

No Indictments for Georgia SWAT Team that Burned Baby with Stun Grenade

I remember this sadly because it's in my home state. The alleged drug dealer they were after was at another home entirely.

With all do respect, I understand that black lives matter. I'm fully aware that racism and police brutality exist against black people.

I never disputed that fact. I actually agreed that it was a problem. It's actually a huge problem that troubles me deeply.

It makes me beyond despondent at times truth be told.

That is not what upset the lady in the video though....which, was the point of the OP. It was about the BLACK CHILD that was shot by another BLACK PERSON.

That was her point and the point of this thread.

Black lives matter, white lives matter, mexican lives matter, etc......ALL LIVES MATTER!

But, lets not all rally around a person that didn't value life at all when, a little girl was shot dead in her room while doing her homework and probably never hurt a single soul in her entire short life.

NO ONE rallied for that little girl...NO ONE but, the woman in the video as far as I have seen.

That makes me incredibly sad for the plight of humanity.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Black communities aren't targeted by police, high crime communities are. Its not the cops' fault that those communities happen to be predominately black. The police have nothing to apologize for.

Why anyone would ever call thoughts like that racist is absolutely beyond me.

So Black communities are all high-crime communities?

Since you're such a fan of anecdotal evidence, I can point to 4 or 5 Black neighborhoods here in Atlanta that have a far smaller crime rate than similar White neighborhoods.

Your claim is BS, and not a little bit racist unless you can prove it.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

It could however be the fault of the local government zoning though.

Low income versus middle to high income.

Things are usually not as simple as they might appear.

edit on 21-8-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

With all due respect in return ...

Mrs. Hubbard was indeed upset. She was upset about her son. She was upset about the little girl. She was upset at people destroying property.

I showed you that Black children are also harmed by pointless and misdirected over-the-top police action. I could show you many examples of children dying in those circumstances.

I think Mrs. Hubbard be upset by that fact too.

The 9 year old child that was shot is NOT the point of this thread. Come on!

The point of this thread was to demean the Black Lives Matter movement with another Black voice. It's a common tactic here.

Of course All Lives Matter! You should start that movement! But throwing off on the BLM folks is not only counter productive, it actually points at the real problem here facing our society at large.

We are fractured and divided by stupidity.
edit on 19Fri, 21 Aug 2015 19:49:31 -050015p072015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join