It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cop, buy these tickets or I take your car

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
A Philadelphia cop apparently caught on hidden cam extorting a driver. The cop threatens to take his unregistered car if he didnt buy tickets to the Hero Thrill Show, which raises money to pay college tuition of the children of police and firefighters who were killed in the line of duty.

The cop even aks him asks him if he has a girlfriend and tells him he needed to buy one for her, at 10$ a piece. The guy ends up being forced to buy 3 tickets from the cop and pays him 30 dollars.

The Phily PD is saying this might be an elaborate hoax, that is probably "wishful thinking".

The Philadelphia Police Department is investigating a video that apparently shows a police officer selling tickets to a police fundraiser to a driver that was pulled over in exchange for not seizing his car.

"Either you buy these, or I take your car, because it's unregistered," the officer, who police would not identify, says in the video.

The driver, identified on Facebook as Rob Stay Faded, buys the tickets as the officer encourages him to buy more.

"You got any kids," the cop says. "You got any sweetheart?"

www.metro.us...

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The cop was a jerk, for certain. But the driver of that car got off lucky. Technically, his vehicle should have been impounded (at the driver's expense) and he should have been issued a citation and been required to register the vehicle. In the grand scheme of things, $30 is a drop in the bucket compared to what it could have cost.

Still, extortion is extortion and I hope this cop gets what is due to him.
edit on 21-8-2015 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

So he cut him a break and benefited a worthy cause?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well, rest assured, they will investigate themselves real good.

What is this Mexico?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Msanti

I agree he got off alot cheaper.. But still, its extortion..

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I'm wondering if the cop didn't get the tickets for free and the only worthy cause was his wallet.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

I agree he got off alot cheaper.. But still, its extortion..

So is obamacare at least this guy gets all you can eat and drink wings and beer.
edit on 21-8-2015 by Msanti because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Do traffic cops still wear those big ass badges? Where I'm from you can always tell a rent-a-cop because he's got a nice badge that was deducted from his paycheck, but the cops just have one embroidered onto the uniform. There was just something off about this interaction, even though the basic premise seemed fairly realistic.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

IF TRUE

This is highly unethical. That said, I wouldnt complain if I was wrong. If the driver was any better at being a human he would have insisted on the rule of the law which would take his car and fine /detain the driver.

So, the cop is part of the flawed system for his behavior and is also the solution in a flawed system which lets this guy drive away 30 bucks poorer instead of facing the proper and far worse consequences he could of faced. The root of the problem is just bad rules that cause discord and INJUSTICE. Its an injustice system.

The money was also for a fund raiser so thats not the same as if the cop would have just kept the money. Just saying.

The cop is still a jerk and so is this guy for not demanding the law be followed then as he does now.

edit on 8 21 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

edit on 8 21 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

That's what you take away from this?

If this is real we have extortion plain and simple.

Plus, one thing people are not seeing and which sets a dangerous precedent. The cop is playing Cop, Judge and Punisher all in one. In fact taking the law into his own hands from all angles. He is a cop, nothing more.

1. Cop stops you and identifies a misdemeanor.
2. Cop decides how he will deal with you on the spot.
3. Cop comes to a decision and gives choice of bowing to him or going the legal route.

Got off easy? He just got silently manhandled without even knowing it. Dangerous road.

Jude

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What happens when the cops pull people over on BS reasons and says you buy these tickets or I write you a more expensive one. That is the next step in this kind of behavior, and who is going to stop that from happening?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

This is what i am thinking.

Sounds to me like the guy got off pretty easy all in all. What on earth is he complaining about? That he wanted the cop to impound his car instead?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Nope, quid pro quo, this for that. Its not a game to dress up being a nice guy and raising charity as extortion. The appearance of impropriety must be avoided. He's innocent or he's a felon.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This is what i am thinking.

Sounds to me like the guy got off pretty easy all in all. What on earth is he complaining about? That he wanted the cop to impound his car instead?

JUst flip it.. What if the guy offers the cop some cash or tickets to get out of a ticket? Thats a big no no right?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Im not saying I think the cop didn't do something wrong. Im saying that if i were that guy, no one would have found out. Id have thanked my lucky stars and went on about my business $30 lighter.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
What on earth is he complaining about? That he wanted the cop to impound his car instead?

No, there'd be endless kvetching over that, too. I'm honestly not sure what people are expecting anymore. Cop does something creative or unique and the demand is : FOLLOW THE LAW PRECISELY.
Cop follows the law precisely: OH NO! THAT WAS TOO EXCESSIVE. PROOF COPS JUST VIEW PEOPLE AS THEIR SLAVES.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so dumb.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Plus, one thing people are not seeing and which sets a dangerous precedent. The cop is playing Cop, Judge and Punisher all in one. In fact taking the law into his own hands from all angles. He is a cop, nothing more.

This. For those that support what this cop did, or think it's OK because the driver got off light, what if the circumstances were slightly different and the cop extorted sex from the driver?

This cop blatantly broke the law.
edit on 8/21/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
For those that support what this cop did, or think it's OK because the driver got off light, what if the circumstances were slightly different and the cop extorted sex from the driver?

...slightly different? $30 equals forcible sex in no world anywhere, BH. Your rhetorical doesn't stand up to common sense or proportional comparison.

A better comparison is the very common practice of officers not ticketing drivers for minor infractions if they've donated to the police fundraiser and placed the little sticker on their windshield. Technically speaking, the police have violated the intent of the law... yet it happens all over the place and those who have benefitted from it by not receiving tickets and fines sure don't seem to complain about it.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: jude11

This. For those that support what this cop did, or think it's OK because the driver got off light, what if the circumstances were slightly different and the cop extorted sex from the driver?

What if the circumstances were slightly different and he was selling 3 Daisy petals for $10 apiece, or you risk have your Reebok Pumps impounded.

oO

I don't mean to pile on here with Burd...but that argument is an argument from fallacy.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'll be very surprised if this is legit. If it is, I agree that it's not acceptable.

I got pulled over once going 15 over in a 40. Cop comes back after running my license and asks if I was wearing my seat belt when he pulled me over. I was still wearing it and said yes. He tells me a seatbelt ticket is a lot cheaper and doesn't get reported to insurance, then asks again if I was wearing it. Ended up not giving me anything, but I found that a little shady even though he was trying to help me out. Either give me a warning or give me the ticket. Of course I'm not going to argue the point.

Again, the mannerisms scream acting to me, and I'm pretty sure this is fake. If it's not, it's a very gray area ethically.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join