It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical attack fear in North Yorkshire as Isis confirm spy base Menwith Hill is target.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

"The Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases said it was deeply concerning that RAF Menwith Hill, on the southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales near Harrogate, had been confirmed as a target by the terrorist group for a "lone wolf" attack.

The group's co-chair, Lindis Percy, said while a British couple claiming to be Islamic State's hacking division had reportedly encouraged British terrorists to carry out atrocities at the North Yorkshire base, there was a possibility the attack could be chemical, biological or nuclear."

Chemical attack fear in North Yorkshire as Isis confirm spy base Menwith Hill is target.

Hopefully nothing further comes from this, but it is still very worrying to think about. The area is about an hour away from where I live and is very close to some very serious/potential targets, including nuclear power-plants (Hartlepool and Cumbria) more R.A.F locations, and busy shopping centres. Is there any valid threat here or are the people behind the threat lying to create panic?

Please share your thoughts on this.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
First thing there is no such thing as "lone wolf" there are many 10s if not 100s of people behind it, second its just bull # nothing is going to happen

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
As someone who knows something of the security world here
i can reasonably say between our people and the US staff looking after that and a few other
places in the UK it aint going to happen.

menwith is an EXTREMELY well guarded site both overtly and covertly
it would take a well armed trained and equipped team to get anywhere near causing an issue there.

random radicalised nutters would be arrested or shot before they got near the place.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
here is a link to another article

www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk... f-menwith-hill-as-a-target-1-7416959

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sorry the link appears to be not working
So here is a copy paste of the article

08:54Wednesday 19 August 2015
HAVE YOUR SAY
RAF Menwith Hill has reportedly been named as an ISIS target.

The terrorist organisation is said to have singled out the base along with RAF Alconbury, RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath in the South of England for “lone wolf” style attacks, The Sunday Times reported.

A document leaked online, which has now been removed, is also said to include the names of a dozen personnel who have served at the four sites.

It is understood the dossier, seen by the Sunday Times, encouraged home-grown extremists to carry out attacks on the base

The group calling themselves the ‘Islamic State hacking division’ published the names and details of dozens of military and diplomatic staff.

The list, which was thought to be out of date, apparently said: “We are extracting confidential data and passing on your personal information to the soldiers of the khilafah who soon, with the permission of Allah, will strike at your necks in your own lands!”

A spokesperson for the RAF said that the force does not comment on matters of security, for obvious reasons.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “Security arrangements at military establishments in North Yorkshire are regularly reviewed to ensure the appropriate safety and security of staff.”

According to British Security forces the current threat level from international terrorism in the UK is severe means an attack is highly likely. This threat level has been in place since August 2014.

The number of US staff working at the Menwith Hill has fallen dramatically in recent years. In March 2014 the US European Command announced that around 500 military and civilian jobs were to go at the base as the US scaled back its defence budget. The majority of staff were due to leave by October 2016.

In January 2015 the US Department of Defense quashed rumours of yet more cuts and made a commitment to RAF Menwith Hill in a review of requirements for bases for US forces in Europe.

Operations at the Nidderdale site were said to be unaffected by this latest review and it remains an important base for the United States, with American servicemen and women and their families

RAF Menwith Hill was opened in 1960, and throughout the 1970s and 1980s the infrastructure and the number of personnel at the site continued to expand. The one-square-mile base is owned by the Ministry of Defence and made available to the US Department of DefenCe.

The site has long been controversial and it has been alleged that the site has been linked to drone attacks and the ECHELON Interception System.

Regular protests are held near the base and between 1984 and 1995 a number of peace camps were established in close proximity to the station

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

I have to agree with you
I live a few miles from the base
I actually enjoy driving past it is quite a sight to behold
Everything is monitored
The slightest suspicion of any threat is treat with the utmost seriousness
The air space and all the area around it is a high security zone
And they mean business

I know as simply driving past it late at night will get you followed and investigated

This threat is simply hot air IMO

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Okinawa
It is really nowhere near Cumbria. Everyone in England soon forgot we have been 'terrorised' by the best. The Irish. We have been under a terrorist threat nearly all my life. I was born in 1965 and lived with IRA threats and killings until the new ones surfaced. Believe me there will be another threat when these are all gone.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Okinawa

They did Buncefield. John Harris of TPUC was one of the eyewitnesses to the missile. Drones, missiles, it's all possible.

Maybe we should all vote for Jeremy Corbyn. An apology for Iraq will settle the little matter of a million dead, won't it? Oh, wait.

At an event I hosted this year in Parliament of 200 child abuse and exploitation survivors, we received public testimony of the scale of abuse in Islington from a whistle-blower who was a leading light in uncovering child abuse in Islington during the 1980s and early 1990s. This social worker confirmed to me that she and others met with you in the early 1990s to raise her concerns about child abuse and cover-ups in Islington. You said that you would raise the matter with Virginia Bottomley, then at the Department of Health, but no indication of whether you followed this up was ever given.

In 1986 MP Geoffrey Dickens raised serious concerns about child abuse in Islington.

Your response was to complain to the Speaker about him visiting your constituency without informing you.
www.mann4bassetlaw.com...

He's in with he paedo elite crowd. That won't do.

My thoughts are the illegal and unwarranted invasions are coming home to roost.

edit on 21 8 2015 by Kester because: upper case

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Link to article ( Link )

First pop up what do you want it to say ( don't paste address , say source or link or what not )

Second pop up paste address

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

Thanks for adding link to article

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: ShayneJUK

Everything is monitored
The slightest suspicion of any threat is treat with the utmost seriousness
The air space and all the area around it is a high security zone
And they mean business

I know as simply driving past it late at night will get you followed and investigated

This threat is simply hot air IMO

Regarding the above... I agree. Britain takes its security quite seriously. Especially regarding military bases after the Lee Rigby murder.

Also, turning attention to the recent security threat at a plant in America (saw it on here a couple of days ago), they will shut the entire site down for a false alarm with a delivery truck.

I'm sure all precautions will be followed.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester
Well said. They are all compliant or involved. The bars and washrooms at parliament must have been rife with whispers when it was in full swing. I can see them laughing at the fact that one of their own has a 'little problem'. They disgust and revolt me along with the perpetrateurs.
As for the Iraq war then they will have to pay because under the laws they enforce and are responsible for enforcing the INVASION was illegal.
Tony Blair should be arrested and put on trial. That could go some way to making right what we are compliant in.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: chewi

Tony Blair should be arrested and put on trial.

I went to a tough school in Durham. Tony Blair attended the cathedral school ten minutes walk away. We occasionally had visits from the police concerning our school's habit of throwing the choristers caps in the River Wear.

On behalf of my slightly older schoolmates I would like to apologise to the world for not drowning Tony Blair when we had the chance.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I live nearby, I remember some fairly elderly women from the 'peace camp' managed to enter MH, 20-30 years ago. I'll do some digging, see what record I can find. Kester, that apology ranks with the Papua New Guinea foreign minister, grinning, apologising to the pope for his missionaries being eaten.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: freebornman

While picking his teeth, presumably. Thank you for the compliment.

The mother of a friend, as a young woman, had to run for the plane and take off down a rough jungle strip in PNG while the locals gave chase. Had she been eaten the world would have been a less interesting place without her offspring.

Struggling to stay on topic, attack from the air one way or another is a distinct possibility.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Good find OP.

The fact that the base is heavily protected from physical breach does not protect if from an NBC attack. I know the location well, and it's fair to say it's rather windy! I would imagine an airborne NBC attack launched upwind could cause considerable concern. However, any terrorist organisations with the ability to launch an NBC attack would have far higher priorities for their weapons, ones which would have a far higher impact and secondary effects than a remote NSA ground station.

They may try some form of ram raid or suicide attack which would likely cause some damage to the main gate facilities but not much more.

The goal of terrorism is to create fear and hysteria, that happens by attacking the innocent public not heavily fortified military installations that would be easily repaired.

Cheers
Robbie

top topics

join