It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Castrato - Giants from the past with a voice like an angel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Castratos: Castration before puberty (or in its early stages) prevents a boy's larynx from being transformed by the normal physiological events of puberty. As a result, the vocal range of prepubescence (shared by both sexes) is largely retained, and the voice develops into adulthood in a unique way. Prepubescent castration for this purpose diminished greatly in the late 18th century and was made illegal in Italy in 1870.

As the castrato's body grew, his lack of testosterone meant that his epiphyses (bone-joints) did not harden in the normal manner. Thus the limbs of the castrati often grew unusually long, as did the bones of their ribs. This, combined with intensive training, gave them unrivalled lung-power and breath capacity.[1] Operating through small, child-sized vocal cords, their voices were also extraordinarily flexible, and quite different from the equivalent adult female voice. Their vocal range was higher than that of the uncastrated adult male (see soprano, mezzo-soprano, alto, sopranist, countertenor and contralto). Listening to the only surviving recordings of a castrato (see below), one can hear that the lower part of the voice sounds like a "super-high" tenor, with a more falsetto-like upper register above that.

There are many reports of giants throughout history, both in religious texts such as the Bible and in folklore and myth, such as the story of Fionn MacCumhaill. Steven Quayle’s excellent log of all things giants GENESIS 6 GIANTS has many reports on the discovery of giant skeletons around the ancient world, ultimately suggesting these giants to be the Nephilim – the sons of God who fell upon the daughters of the Earth – in the book of Genesis.
edit on 21-8-2015 by yulka because: image

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
That may explain away a few cases, but there were reports of skeletal remains reaching up to 36 feet tall. Whether or not they are hoaxes, getting snipped doesn't result titanesque stature of that magnitude.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: trifecta

In all honesty, the stories are fun listening to. Giants from the past and alien skulls, but sometimes when it becomes an obsession, and you start looking for evidence just to support you claim, somebody needs to step in and say, hey, humans did/done/do some weird stuff. You might wanna look if there is a more logical solution, dont start with God and work down, start with primate and work upwards.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yulka

True, but despite castration was used to domesticate animals and slaves only around the 400 AD we have records of castration for vocal purposes Source

So for the ancient giants we should assume that the bodies were from "naturally" castrated persons ie due to accident, or slaves and I'm not sure I'd be sold on that. We also have some unusually tall pharaoh (unusually tall for their time, not absolutely) and we have some other reports of giants from the mound builder culture in north America, which are unconfirmed officially and even in the native stories they aren't art-oriented people.

I am on the fence on this subject, personally I have no religious reasons to believe in giants, but I never seen evidence that it's impossible either. In fact the megafauna shows us that in the very ancient times things could grow far bigger than today.
I would also not pretend for science to admit it without an official finding, but this doesn't mean that we already found everything that is lying under the soil.
edit on 21 8 2015 by Mastronaut because: "high" in english doesn't mean "tall".. sorry

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

Negligible Senescence dinosaurs, which is the most plausible theory, since we still have a few living dinosaurs with us.

We know that the tallest recorded human is Robert Wadlow, who right before the died at 22 was nearly up to the 9 feet point. So we can say with certainty that humans can get to at least 9 feet in height. However, as most people like Wadlow are, they seemed to have suffered from problems of their pituitary gland, whether is was from hypertrophy or tumor compressions.

Since the majority of humans are of a height in the middle of the distribution bell curve, the environment would be made and tailored for people in the middle, putting people who are too tall at a disadvantage.

True, but despite castration was used to domesticate animals and slaves only around the 400 AD we have records of castration for vocal purposes

Why do you think it was only around 400AD?

Explanation bell curve

Explanation Negligible senescence

Or the tallest, shortest people in Africa link
edit on 21-8-2015 by yulka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: yulka

Negligible Senescence dinosaurs, which is the most plausible theory, since we still have a few living dinosaurs with us.

Well, we have reptiles that are closer to the megafauna, but nothing on earth gets close to most of the supergiants of the past. Negligible Senescence of an entire branch of species isn't imho praticularly plausible, but if we assume (as we do) that gravity has been fixed then these animals would have had a terrible life and over thousands of million years we should find a much earlier decrease in dimensions than we do.
I think the first reptiles were smaller than the later ones, and it may have been due to their ancestry coming from oceans (where huge dimensions are far less of a problem) but from species small enough to be able to move on the ground (so smaller in the beginning and growing later). However given it's impossible to demonstrate I wouldn't put my money on either

Why do you think it was only around 400AD?

Well I was referring to castration for vocal purposes. The first accounts of eunuchs are from the 5th century ad as I read in the wiki, if this was a widespread routine in the past we should have accounts in greek history of singing giants. Most forms of gigantism aren't going to let an organism grow with proportional strength, in fact the opposite is true. So we should have accounts of debilitated or deformed "giants" if they were ill, much more than proportionally strong, as it is instead written.

Also the normal distribution curve in relation to the environment of the ancient past is not particularly helpful. Today given the amount of standardized sizes and buildings and tools etc, absolutely yes. In a past this disadvantage could be easily offset by the additional strength (following the narrative that giants were abnormally tall and not deformed). If it was some kind of sickness then it was an inherent disadvantage and I doubt it would be anyway regarded as a mith, it would probably be regarded as a punishment from god while the narrative says that they were creatures directly related to gods and wiped out (not punished WITH their aspect).

Consider I write very badly in english so I beg your pardon in advance

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mastronaut

Your English is just fine. Better than some native speakers I know.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: Mastronaut

Your English is just fine. Better than some native speakers I know.

I always knew deep down that you had a Soul - at least in a figurative way.

OP:

Nephilim are one of the few truths of the Good Book...

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

if this was a widespread routine in the past we should have accounts in greek history of singing giants

Fallen angels.

Id bet you in a thousands years they are gonna say, computer screens was the messenger of god.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

I just found out that Cronos castrated his father and from the blood spilled the Giants were born. It's quite intresting indeed, I didn't remember at all this mention and it seems to relate to the greeks having knowledge that castration could have an effect on the size.

And for the second part I think we won't need a thousand years

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Its very amusing to watch the threads, just cause of the imagination. Humans makes a whole world inside their minds, wrong or right doesnt really matter. But when as i stated it becomes an obsession, its time to break.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The pic in the OP is a caricature. Says so in the caption.

Show me some evidence of giant castrati.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Skeleton

Camera was invented

Collodion dry plates had been available since 1855, thanks to the work of Désiré van Monckhoven, but it was not until the invention of the gelatin dry plate in 1871 by Richard Leach Maddox that the wet plate process could be rivaled in quality and speed. The 1878 discovery that heat-ripening a gelatin emulsion greatly increased its sensitivity finally made so-called "instantaneous" snapshot exposures practical. For the first time, a tripod or other support was no longer an absolute necessity. With daylight and a fast plate or film, a small camera could be hand-held while taking the picture. The ranks of amateur photographers swelled and informal "candid" portraits became popular. There was a proliferation of camera designs, from single- and twin-lens reflexes to large and bulky field cameras, simple box cameras, and even "detective cameras" disguised as pocket watches, hats, or other objects. The short exposure times that made candid photography possible also necessitated another innovation, the mechanical shutter. The very first shutters were separate accessories, though built-in shutters were common by the end of the 19th century.[11]

Last castrato

Logics is a great attribute

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Wow, 6"3".

Pretty much what I thought.

Harte

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Oh wow, listen. Believe whatever you want to believe, i gave facts which are thousands of years old. If you want a giants its up to you. Its your reality not mine

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Oh wow, listen. Believe whatever you want to believe, i gave facts which are thousands of years old. If you want a giants its up to you. Its your reality not mine

Your "facts" are only a few hundred years old and they themselves say 6' 2".

Can't you keep up?

Harte

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The facts are, that mythical giants are always a different species or have some other claim to gigantism, like being a blood relative of a God.

I am bigger than your Castrato at 6.5", but I can't sing soprano

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Do you even read the thread or is it just in your head you hear some voices?

One person, they have the bones of one person which they can fixate to a castrato.

Castration has existed from the first start of domestication of animals, you think they see any difference from a slave human to cattle, do you really want to believe in giants so much that reality has to alter just to confirm your fantasies?

Earliest date: 400AD but despite castration was used to domesticate animals and slaves only around the 400 AD we have records of castration for vocal purposes

As long as we have had Queens and Princesses you better effin believe those nuts and the slave amused the royals.

Please just please dont play smart, domesticated primates are really annoying when trying to grasp reality.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Only existing example, was the castrato. The rest are mythical stories, a Queen, King was considered a God/Goddess, the Castratos were considered their angels. Its deities.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Only existing example, was the castrato. The rest are mythical stories, a Queen, King was considered a God/Goddess, the Castratos were considered their angels. Its deities.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join