It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Declares State of War.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This is a worrying development.

It might not be written in stone, but when you're in talks with an enemy you hold off on all further military movements.

This either shows that Kim is entirely unpredictable and entirely dangerous, or that he's planning to attack the South regardless of these talks.

I'm now more convinced than I have ever been that we need to strike NK immediately. This has gone on long enough and while we're wasting time trying to talk sensibly to a mad man he's amassing his military.

It's time to take that little nutter out and start the process of reunification, before we give him more ability to do more damage.

If this does now become an all-out war, people will rightly be asking why SK sat in that room chatting over tea while NK was building up its attack forces.

Maybe the US and SK should give NK a highly publicized deadline - either start removing those assets in the next hour or they'll be destroyed.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I see, thank you for the clarification.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

the DMZ was infiltrated by North Korea and the landmine placed on the patrol route.

While that may be the official story I agree with BMorris , if they're so sure then they should produce their evidence.
Who's to say it wasn't a South Korean mine and the incident was really an accident.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

originally posted by: EternalSolace

I'm pretty sure I also read that South Korea recalled some of its aircraft from drills in Alaska. I still don't think anything is going to come of all this, but this buildup of forces is unsettling.

S. Korea wants North Korea to take responsibility in the mine incident - They wont.
N. Korea wants South Korea to stop broadcasts across the border - They wont.

Whats left?

I don't think that's technically true.
SK doesn't need NK to take responsibility, they already have responsibility whether they want to accept it or not.
SK has gone into this at the request of NK. NK is the one threatening war, threatening to attack those sites on the border, and SK has agreed to go into talks because the NK dictator has realized he's playing a game he can't possibly win, it's no longer about the land mines.

Kim did his usual nonsense and took it too far, not expecting the South to go right up to the edge with him and match him hit for hit. When SK stood up to him and showed that they were now ready to retaliate with more, he filled his pants and started looking for a way to reverse course without embarrassing himself.

The problem now is that Kim can't walk out of this without being shamed and embarrassed in front of many of his own people. He's become a joke, but a dangerous one.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
With so much military hardware now in play I really don't think this is going to end with any kind of peaceful outcome. The US now has to consider NK a direct and imminent threat to SK, and I would be surprised if it's not currently planning to implement a strategy to take out that threat.

I don't think it's going to be an all-out assault on NK, but I do think the US is probably right now rolling out plans to disable everything along that border before NK has the opportunity to use it.

The subs might sound worrying, but they are old and decrepit and most of them would probably end up at the bottom of the sea the moment they tried to do anything more than float out of shallow water. They'll be sitting ducks for the US within minutes.

If NK fires anything, anything at all, the US is going to come down on them, but it wouldn't surprise me at all that happens before NK even gets a shot off.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

There will be no strike without the North starting the attack , NK have a powerful ally in China who will not condone any attack on the North.
China are not happy with the North but they would rather see the Status Quo maintained than millions of refugees heading over the border.

I believe NK will be given limited concessions and everyone will put their toys away until next time.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
after a second day of talks I have the feeling they are not going to agree on issues like megaphones that are more than prestige. Seems North feels hurt much more than we could comprehend by those megaphones. With submarines in the sea, armed with God knows what, it looks much more like ultimatum now.

Stil Kim could back out, if ordered so by the big brother. Will he?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
There will be no strike without the North starting the attack , NK have a powerful ally in China who will not condone any attack on the North.

I don't think China is in any real position to be defending NK from any offensive by the US. That might have been the case back in the 90's, but not now. China desperately needs intact trade with the outside world, and if it chose to support NK in any military action it would instantly be under global condemnation and face an economic collapse.

China needs the rest of the world more than it needs NK.

China are not happy with the North but they would rather see the Status Quo maintained than millions of refugees heading over the border.

Millions of refugees heading across the border used to be a major concern, before China seemingly took preemptive measures to secure its border.

In 2011 it was reported that China was building fences 4 metres (13 ft) high near Dandong, and that 13 kilometers of this new fencing had been built. It was also reported that China was reinforcing patrols, and that new patrol posts were being built on higher ground to give wider visibility over the area. According to a resident of the area: "It's the first time such strong border fences are being erected here. Looks like it is related to the unstable situation in North Korea." The resident also added that previously "anybody could cross if they really wanted" as the fence had only been ten feet high with no barbed wire.

If there were assurances from the US that this could be controlled, China would be wise to support action against NK given their change in position with the rest of the world.

I believe NK will be given limited concessions and everyone will put their toys away until next time.

That's very possible, but then we've never seen this kind of confrontation before, not since the end of the Korean war at least. While it's easy to look back over the last few years and see the constant rhetoric and the threats ultimately leading to aid and a period of calm, none of those instances have reached such a significant stand-off before, and at none of those times has SK been directly threatened with military attack in this way.

There's been a lot of bluster and ranting from the North before, but they've never actually deployed their military in this way and posed such a real physical threat to the South. In my estimation, this leaves the US in a difficult position, they have a duty to protect their ally, and already this has become a significantly threatening situation for SK.

I really don't think the US is likely to stand by and do nothing while NK continues to encircle SK in this way, if the only thing stopping them from taking out NK is China, I don't think that obstacle is going to remain in place for very long at all.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

China wont do #.

Not over North Korea. Why would they risk everything they have achieved over a pathetic little fat kid with attitude problem?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I'm confident that China is pretty much done with North Korea as well. If China really wants stability in the region, they'd allow the end of NK and support reunification and open ties with South Korea (or essentially unified Korea).

The only problem is that NK's army is massive. I'm left wondering how easy it would be to get them to surrender considering how deeply ingrained NK's propaganda is.
edit on 8/23/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

The only problem is that NK's army is massive. I'm left wondering how easy it would be to get them to surrender considering how deeply ingrained NK's propaganda is.

A big buffet table on the DMZ will likely solve that issue.

My fear is the huge stockpiles of Chemical and biological weapons.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I didn't think of that. There's a catch-22. I seriously doubt the US and SK would strike preemptively. But at the same time, it would take a preemptive strike to stop NK's ability to launch their nuclear weapons (assuming they have the capability). Certainly they don't have ICBM capabilities, but I'm fairly certain they could get one to Seoul. Then SK would have to quickly secure the chemical weapon stockpiles.
edit on 8/23/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I didn't think of that. There's a catch-22. I seriously doubt the US and SK would strike preemptively. But at the same time, it would take a preemptive strike to stop NK's ability to launch their nuclear weapons (assuming they have the capability). Certainly they don't have ICBM capabilities, but I'm fairly certain they could get one to Seoul. Then SK would have to quickly secure the chemical weapon stockpiles.

The nukes will be the easy ones as the NK air force would not last the day and that's the only way to deliver one for them at the moment.

Chemical and bio weapons can be launched via artillery....and NK have enough of that.
edit on 23-8-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I don't think China is in any real position to be defending NK from any offensive by the US.

China is by no means short on cash , they may have problems with their stock market at the moment but that means little and will be short term , China has a cash cow in the form of Hong Kong.
In 2010 NK sank a South Korean navy ship , there was no war then I don't see why there would be a war over this incident.

We will see who is right shortly.

edit on 23-8-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Then SK would have to preemptively hit NK's artillery to prevent the deployment of chemical weapons. That's something I still don't believe they'd do.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Then SK would have to preemptively hit NK's artillery to prevent the deployment of chemical weapons. That's something I still don't believe they'd do.

They have what 50,000 heavy artillery pieces and countless mortars.

No way south Korea or the USA could get them all.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Looks like a level up in WATCHCON happened.

S. Korea, US Raise WATCHCON to Level 2

world.kbs.co.kr...
South Korea and the United States stepped up their intelligence and surveillance status for North Korea’s possible provocation although the two Koreas started inter-Korean high-level talks on Saturday.

The South Korea-U.S. Combined Forces Command on Sunday raised their five-level Watch Condition alert system, or WATCHCON, from level three to level two.

The South Korean military is said to have detected 72-point-two millimeter field guns, which were used for the North’s artillery provocation on Thursday, being deployed at some parts of the front-line areas. Some North Korean soldiers were also observed conducting a firing drill.

WATCHCON 4 is in effect during normal peacetime.
WATCHCON 3 is in effect amidst indications of an important threat.
WATCHCON 2 is in effect amidst indications of a vital threat.
WATCHCON 1 is in effect during wartime.

From another source: www.koreaherald.com...

"As for the chances of an agreement, I don't see much chance as long as Seoul insists on an apology for the mine laying. If both sides can find a way around this issue, then it is possible," said Ken Gause, a senior analyst on Korea at CNA Corp."

Jude

edit on 23-8-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Interesting development mentioned a few times on Twitter, but unverified - China sending Tank Destroyers to the border with NK. There are several images of what appears to be large numbers of tanks flowing through a town heading to the NK border.

If this is true and China really is reinforcing its own border with NK, this suggests it's already on side with the US and SK in dealing with Kim and preparing for things to get messy.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Koreas resume talks as Seoul sees North Korea troop movement

The standoff is the result of a series of events that started with the explosions of land mines on the southern side of the Demilitarized Zone between the Koreas that Seoul says were planted by North Korea. The explosions maimed two South Korean soldiers on a routine patrol. In response, the South resumed anti-Pyongyang propaganda broadcasts for the first time in 11 years, infuriating the North, which is extremely sensitive to any criticism of its authoritarian system.

While the meeting offered a way for the rivals to avoid an immediate collision, analysts in Seoul wondered whether the countries were standing too far apart to expect a quick agreement.

South Korea probably can't afford to walk away with a weak agreement after it had openly vowed to stem a "vicious cycle" of North Korean provocations amid public anger over the land mines, said Koh Yu-hwan, a North Korea expert at Seoul's Dongguk University.

It was highly unlikely that the North would accept the South's expected demand for Pyongyang to take responsibility for the land mine explosions and apologize, he added.

This is over the landmine incident, which prompted the south to resume broadcasts. N. Korea is demanding they stop. S. Korea wont do that until the north takes responsibility. The north is not going to do that.

I don't see any way out where both sides can walk away happy. Does anyone else?

China has increased their forces on the border with N. Korea when Un took power. China's fear is a mass flood of north Koreans trying to flee should a war occur / north Korean government collapses. In a sign of the times China has not been cooperating with North Korea in terms of sending defectors back to North Korea. N. Korea has requested assistance a few times now from the Chinese counterparts with no response other than lip service.

I think China is done with the money pit that is N. Korea.
edit on 23-8-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

No, they couldn't get them all. But they could seriously negate some damage. With 50,000 plus, you know a lot of artillery pieces will be clustered together. So one BLU-82 can do a lot of damage to NK's artillery.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join