It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Management Institute & Certifications - Anyone Familiar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Good day to all of my ATS friends. I wanted to open this up to ATS only because I know we have such a great variety of members who each possess unique experiences and knowledge.

I'm looking for any advice and information any of you might have on the Project Management Institute (PMI). Here is their "about us" webpage:
PMI - About Us

Project Management Institute is the world's leading not-for-profit professional membership association for the project, program and portfolio management profession. Founded in 1969, PMI delivers value for more than 2.9 million professionals working in nearly every country in the world through global advocacy, collaboration, education and research. PMI advances careers, improves organizational success and further matures the profession of project management through its globally recognized standards, certifications, resources, tools, academic research, publications, professional development courses, and networking opportunities.

The association offers a variety of certifications, most of which have prerequisites such as "Four-Year Degree, 4,500 Hours Leading & Directing Projects", etc.

In my current role, I am an "Associate Project Leader", so I am gaining some of that experience - although I'm not sure how picky they are about those prerequisite requirements.

In addition to this, I'm not sure which certification I would want to work towards since there are so many different options: options

My ultimate plan is to get a Master's of Public Health, and to also get one of the Project Management certifications so that I can work for a hospital or a consulting company involved in public health, policies, operations, or education.

I'm hoping someone on ATS is familiar with PMI and their certifications, but if not perhaps this thread has helped someone discover a new opportunity they'd like to pursue

Anyway, thank you in either case and for all of my ATS friends who work a Monday thru Friday job like myself, Happy Friday! For everyone else, Happy Day anyway

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I am a project manager / project engineer (4 year degree in industrial engineering) at a medical device manufacturer.

I have not gotten any PMI certifications, but I have thought about doing so to help further my career and my capabilities.

When I was in college a few of my professors were certified - PMP (project management professional).

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

I also had a professor who was certified, and in my current job I work in job placement services and have come across a handful of individuals who also possess a certification, but I hadn't looked into it much myself until now. Wish I knew someone who had first hand experience with PMI or their credentials but they don't seem all that common (although it also haven't found anything negative about the Institute either)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I would definitely be interested to hear more about it myself as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I have been an IT project manager since 1985. I have had my PMP since 2008. My employer required it for the work I was doing. They sent me to 4 solid weeks of training that cost them about 15,000 dollars US. Back then, you had to take a four hour test and respond to 200 multiple choice questions. It was the hardest test I have ever taken. Less then 50% pass.

However the credential opens up doors, and approaching project management like a discipline and following the PMI approach really does make one a much better PM.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olbe66

I'm so glad you posted on here about your experience! It sounds like an excruciating exam - from my research it sounds like the 200 question exam is still in effect. $15,000 for 4 weeks of training - that's like as much money as the Ivy League schools charge for 4 weeks, WOW.

Did you have to leave state to attend the training or was it in the same state as yourself? Were there classes with other "students" or was it more of an individual process?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

We had about 40 people where I work who needed the training so my employer hired a trainer to come on site, provide materials, exercises, etc. Only about 15 passed the exam, and we were considered the top IT people in our organization, which employs over 3,000 IT folks. Paid off for those who passed - we all got promoted and have been fast-tracked. Most of us are still here and we all became good friends as the IT "elites."

I do know some people who have self-taught and passed the exam. There are a lot of materials on line to help. The advice I would give in taking the exam is that the PMI process must become the only mindset you posses - during the exam it must be your unquestioned gospel. You must think like a PMI priest, and chant only the sayings you have learned from them. Also, they use terms in a certain way that is very specific and you must understand the jargon.

Once again, best of luck.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: olbe66

Hey, that's some great advice olbe. I actually took these college exams called CLEPs (College Level Examination Program), where you would study material from the CLEP publishers, then take an exam and if you passed you got college credit for it (it helped me skip a bunch of classes, and saved me around $10,000 I didn't have to pay in tuition!).

Anyway, one of the CLEP topics might be "Business Law", and although I could find information from other sources, it didn't always align with what CLEP said so even though it could be "right", it wouldn't be considered correct if you used that answer on the CLEP test.

It sounds like the PMI exams are probably very similar - there could be other project management methodologies/approaches out there, but PMI wants to know if you know Their approach.

This is great to know. Thanks so much!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I took two courses that were literally called "project management" when I was a senior in college. I'm working if that alone is enough to pass the test.

We went on the PMI website a few times and took some practice tests as a class.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: charolais

I also had a professor who was certified, and in my current job I work in job placement services and have come across a handful of individuals who also possess a certification, but I hadn't looked into it much myself until now. Wish I knew someone who had first hand experience with PMI or their credentials but they don't seem all that common (although it also haven't found anything negative about the Institute either)

Could you contact that professor who has a certification for help or advice? Most of the profs I know are always willing to help a former student. Can't hurt to try.

top topics

join