It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hermeticism - The Spiritual studies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Ive studied hermeticism for a while, yet it seems the knowledge within it is experience. I studied countless philosophers, schools, scientists and theologies. And somehow i always come back to the same philosophy. Humans are an extremity of a primate.
For all you who had studied the same things? where are your conclusions?

Hermeticism, also called Hermetism,[1][2] is a religious and philosophical tradition based primarily upon writings attributed to Hermes Trismegistus ("Thrice Great").[3] These writings have greatly influenced the Western esoteric tradition and were considered to be of great importance during both the Renaissance[4] and the Reformation.[5] The tradition claims descent from a prisca theologia, a doctrine that affirms the existence of a single, true theology that is present in all religions and that was given by God to man in antiquity.[6][7]

Many Christian writers, including Lactantius, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Marsilio Ficino, Giovanni Pico della Mirandola, Giordano Bruno, Campanella, Sir Thomas Browne, and Emerson, considered Hermes Trismegistus to be a wise pagan prophet who foresaw the coming of Christianity.[8][9]

An account of how Hermes Trismegistus received the name "Thrice Great" is derived from the The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus, wherein it is stated that he knew the three parts of the wisdom of the whole universe.[10] The three parts of the wisdom are alchemy, astrology, and theurgy.

The Poimandres, from which Marsilio Ficino formed his opinion, states that "They called him Trismegistus because he was the greatest philosopher and the greatest priest and the greatest king."[11] The Suda (10th century) states that "He was called Trismegistus on account of his praise of the trinity, saying there is one divine nature in the trinity."[12]

Much of the importance of Hermeticism arises from its connection with the development of science during the time from 1300 to 1600 AD. The prominence that it gave to the idea of influencing or controlling nature led many scientists to look to magic and its allied arts (e.g., alchemy, astrology) which, it was thought, could put Nature to the test by means of experiments. Consequently, it was the practical aspects of Hermetic writings that attracted the attention of scientists.[13]

The three parts of the wisdom are alchemy,astrology and theurgy

"Thrice Great" is derived from the The Emerald Tablet

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

Humans are an extremity of a primate

What do you mean by that? Do you mean simply that man has evolved from apes?

?

edit on 21-8-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I mean humans are an extremity of ideals, looking for hermets

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

I think the idea is very similar to Christian and Jewish Gnosticism from the same time peiod. I believe what was considered magic and alchemy has turned into modern science.

I think ancient man believed in a more magical existence where spells and rituals held slightly more than an internal manifestation.

I imagine outside of a few fringe cults most modern followers of alchemy have realized they must separate the science of alchemy from the internal divine alchemy of turning the spirit from lead to gold, which for the spiritual alchemist is similar to Nirvana, or being born again into a union with the devine.

And that most people now understand that magic is only ritualistic. Outside of performing rituals for self awareness, real magic or witchcraft are concepts that are only in the mind which have no intrinsic material value.

I realize there are still those who believe that magic has an intrinsic material value, but I am afraid that tying material value to spiritual concepts actually creates a barrier when attempting to understand the non material divinity within us and within nature. And as such the practice should be abandoned by anyone who is truly seeking divine connectivity, Nirvana.

top topics

join