It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wormhole Created in Lab Makes Invisible Magnetic Field

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Ripped from the pages of a sci-fi novel, physicists have crafted a wormhole that tunnels a magnetic field through space. "This device can transmit the magnetic field from one point in space to another point, through a path that is magnetically invisible," said study co-author Jordi Prat-Camps, a doctoral candidate in physics at the Autonomous University of Barcelona in Spain. "From a magnetic point of view, this device acts like a wormhole, as if the magnetic field was transferred through an extra special dimension."

A new device can cloak a magnetic field so that it invisible from the outside. Here, a picture of how the wormhole would

The idea of a wormhole comes from Albert Einstein's theories. In 1935, Einstein and colleague Nathan Rosen realized that the general theory of relativity allowed for the existence of bridges that could link two different points in space-time. Theoretically these Einstein-Rosen bridges, or wormholes, could allow something to tunnel instantly between great distances (though the tunnels in this theory are extremely tiny, so ordinarily wouldn't fit a space traveler). So far, no one has found evidence that space-time wormholes actually exist

The new wormhole isn't a space-time wormhole per se, but is instead a realization of a futuristic "invisibility cloak" first proposed in 2007 in the journal Physical Review Letters. This type of wormhole would hide electromagnetic waves from view from the outside. The trouble was, to make the method work for light required materials that are extremely impractical and difficult to work with, Prat said.

Ok so I am trying to wrap my head around this . essentially this discovery will pave the way for "cloaking" . Wow....

I see this being used for Military Sub application .

I would love to Implement more thought on this ,but at the moment I have to get back to cooking dinner .... Just wanted to put this out to the community and gather some thoughts and info .

Plenty more to read HERE

Ideas ? Theory's ?

Kap

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am speechless and reading through the article really didn't help! This is a crazy concept, do you think it would have adverse effects on a living being? I would think they could be affected by being inside a craft equipped with this.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

I'm wondering if this can cloak all radiation.

For shield, it would make space travel about a million times safer for those inside its cloaked space.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I have discovered that the optical integrity of the universe can be compromised by me,at will.

All I need to do is close my eyes!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged. Anything above ground science has been done for years underground science, and I have heard reports of them stopping the power and killing people, mangling them, families. All speculation.
edit on 20-8-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Interdimensional Aliens coming!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

"This device can transmit the magnetic field from one point in space to another point, through a path that is magnetically invisible,"

Isn't that just reversing polarity?

Ewww, mysterious.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

They are using mu-metal, which is the only known material that can shield a magnetic field. Of course the magnetic field only appears at the ends, the centre is shielded. After reading the article, it sounds like I could make a wormhole using a light and a piece of black ABS pipe. You wouldn't see light radiating from the middle so how did it get to the other side lol.

Creating Einstein-Rosen bridges or applying Einstein-Podalsky-Rosen solutions in a pragmatic and practical manner generally involves a bit more than mu-metal and some destructive interference.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Its not a wormhole. Its a shield that cloaks the visibility of the electromagnetic wave.

So the team designed a three-layer object, consisting of two concentric spheres with an interior spiral-cylinder. The interior layer essentially transmitted a magnetic field from one end to the other, while the other two layers acted to conceal the field's existence.

If you wanted to say, send the magnetic field across the solar system invisibly; you would have to have a device as big as the gap you want it to cross.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

The article is misleading. They shouldn't be drawing a parallel between this clocking mechanism and wormholes. Wormhole are supposed to fold space-time. This does no such thing. This is merely a way to channel a magnetic field along a cloaked path.

Don't get me wrong, I find this to be a fascinating new discovery that the Military-Industrial complex will use against us, but no quantum mechanics here.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327
I would think they could be affected by being inside a craft equipped with this.

Why?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

The article is misleading. They shouldn't be drawing a parallel between this clocking mechanism and wormholes. Wormhole are supposed to fold space-time. This does no such thing. This is merely a way to channel a magnetic field along a cloaked path.

Don't get me wrong, I find this to be a fascinating new discovery that the Military-Industrial complex will use against us, but no quantum mechanics here.

science articles all do that nowadays. its their way of explaining it to simple folk. some sensationalist science reporting. sorry dudes, no human teleportation here. just maybe more something that can chop a magnetic field in half while maintaining the field's behaviour on both sides of the chop. making the sphere a cabin for things you dont want exposed to electromagnetic fields within a system that relies on magnetic fields for other important functions.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta
Then why title the article "Wormhole created in lab" ? No way what I read is this a wormhole.....very misleading.A wormhole is a theoretical occurrence in certain models that link 2 points in the space/time fabric together. And not much to do with cloaking or magnetism.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: shaneslaughta
Then why title the article "Wormhole created in lab" ? No way what I read is this a wormhole.....very misleading.A wormhole is a theoretical occurrence in certain models that link 2 points in the space/time fabric together. And not much to do with cloaking or magnetism.

but it is. this is a valid description even though it is hyped to hades and back. you could also call it an artificial monopole. the thing is it's behavior parallels what it is likened to. for instance emergent monopoles have been described in two very different condensed matter physics experiments. there too the monopole in question was not an actual fundamental particle type monopole but something whose emergent behavior was the same in most ways as a monopole. at worst you can say that these things act as models for the thing they are named after -be it an emergent monopole or a wormhole or in one recent case a black hole.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

More Philadelphia experiment stuff??? Maybe, wormholes... nope.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
personally i'll wait for the day they chuck a piece of positive mass into one end and the other end develops negative mass. then i'll know we have something that really approximates a wormhole enough to do wormholey things with.
edit on 21-8-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Well reading the link first it's not a wormhole and second all that is hidden is the magnetic field.

So the team designed a three-layer object, consisting of two concentric spheres with an interior spiral-cylinder. The interior layer essentially transmitted a magnetic field from one end to the other, while the other two layers acted to conceal the field's existence

and third what a let down.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
it is close in the behavior to a wormhole in the magnetic thing though. but it is not a real wormhole. if you had a real wormhole and you passed a flux line through it and the other end was some distance away you would have separate discrete charges whether magnetic or electrical. in that way a wormhole can emulate a monopole because each end of such a wormhole would effectively be a monopole. this thing hides the flux line even though it does so with mu-metal wave guides. so it shows one behavior of a wormhole but it is not achieved by actual wormhole physics. still as the article said even this achievement has implications for sensors, and other developments.

but even if the article goes with the wormhole hype all is not lost because these sorts of models can be used as a stand in to further study what one can expect from real wormholes. that is what models are for.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I see the invisible man, said the blind man!!! Lmao, really?? were seeing something invisible?? And people thought the church were con artists... Aren't all magnetic fields invisible ?? Or am I literally the only one thinking today...

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Yeah it sounds like a waveguide. But what else could you guide?

So... You take one of these spheres and miniaturize it down to the size of say a nano sphere. Layer it about ten deep and make it a skin or paint..... ....
edit on 21-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join