It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish blood, English heart.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So there I was listening to you tube checking out my new interest, The Smiths and Morrissey. I came across a live recent performance of Morrissey at Glastonbury. At the end of the show, just before "Charming Man" he breaks into this song. It blew me away. This is the anthem of the common human. Be it any two countries blood and heart, it is human and we are that human, each and every one of us. Morrissey is 56 as I write this and still kicking em out. He is strangely addictive. The more you listen to him, the more you like him. Check out these lyrics, listen to the song on You tube if your so inclined.

"Irish blood, English heart, this I'm made of
There is no one on earth I'm afraid of
And no regime can buy or sell me

I've been dreaming of a time when
To be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag not feeling shameful
Racist or partial

Irish blood, English heart, this I'm made of
There is no one on earth I'm afraid of
And I will die with both of my hands untied

I've been dreaming of a time when
The English are sick to death of Labour and Tories
And spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell
And denounce this royal line
That still salute him and will salute him forever"

SONGWRITERS
MORRISSEY, STEVEN PATRICK/WHYTE, ALAIN GORDON

PUBLISHED BY
LYRICS © WARNER/CHAPPELL MUSIC, INC., UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING GROUP

This is about the ultimate political question at hand at this point in history. Will you live as free humans or will to willingly give yourselves onto bondage? Cheers.

edit on 20-8-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: How soon is now?

edit on 20-8-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Frankly Mr. Shankly, I never knew you wrote such bloody awful poetry.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Interesting -- I had this song in my head for the past week or so!

This was a good comeback for him... excellent tune!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: the_philth
Interesting -- I had this song in my head for the past week or so!

This was a good comeback for him... excellent tune!

Thank you for the comments and the vid. Greatly appreciated. Quite a great tune. I think governments around the world are forgetting where the true power lies; in the people. The will of the people has been usurped by the avarice of the very wealthy few. Times are a changing the giant is stirring in her bed and she is very grumpy when she awakens.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Well, there you go. Can't say ATS isn't educational - didn't know he had the blood of the Emerald Isle running through him!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrow
Well, there you go. Can't say ATS isn't educational - didn't know he had the blood of the Emerald Isle running through him!

Yeah, all of the Smith's lads did as far as I know.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Ah, it was all going so...well, so-so, until the line, "and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell".

Spit upon the name of the guy who introduced a measure of democracy to British politics? The only reason the Queen doesn't rule the country with no-holds-barred is down to him.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

Ah, it was all going so...well, so-so, until the line, "and spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell".

Spit upon the name of the guy who introduced a measure of democracy to British politics? The only reason the Queen doesn't rule the country with no-holds-barred is down to him.

True. I don't get it either? I hope someone could enlighten us? Perhaps it is the IRISH blood that wishes to spit on Cromwell? I do not condone spitting (or throwing bodily fluids and solids) at people. I have had that happen to me and had to remain calm and had to carry on. So no, the Cromwell thing I don't get? Maybe because he left the monarchy in place and did not get rid of it all together? I am fascinated by Royalty and aristocracy as a social construct. You know, one group of people have totally convinced the other that they are superior. (usually at the tip of a sword or lance).

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
i own this album, its awesome!

love the guitar in irish blood..!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sanitizedinfo

"You are the Quarry"? is that it?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I think he's probably referring to the alleged war crimes committed by the New Model Army when Cromwell invaded Ireland, Drogheda and Wexford in particular.

The Irish Confederates had formed an alliance with Charles II, who was in hiding in France at the time. He could easily have raised an army over there and invaded England, and England had already been invaded by a Scottish army allied to Charles I.

So yeah, I think more Irish blood than English heart.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

yeah, i got it when it was released. morrissey staying in true "himself" form.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Ahhh The Smiths, my faves

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Good track that, I reckon as CJCrawley said, it is the Irish in him. I believe he is a pretty hated figure there due to the brutal re-conquest of Ireland and confiscation of land.
edit on 22-8-2015 by Scouse100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Thank you CJ! Moz is no monarchist, that is for sure. with sponge and rusty spanner in hand!

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100
Ahhh The Smiths, my faves

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sanitizedinfo

Yeah, the guitar is the *hook* of the song --- as it has been for most of Morrissey's career.

He's always needed a Keith or Page to help complete him, ergo Johnny Marr, Vini Reilly and now Alain Whyte.

He's needed strong songwriters to springboard his poetry and melodies off of, and Whyte was just what he needed.

top topics

join