It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis oil cured my bowel cancer, claims father, 33, 'given just 18 months to live'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Did you guys see this?

he U.S. Government’s Department of Health Finally Admits That Marijuana Kills Cancer

If you read the article and the links in it you may find that the article's title is not exactly true.
It's very biased.
And I'm being kind saying biased.

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Pardon?

How about directly from the national cancer institute .

How is Cannabis administered?
Cannabis may be taken by mouth or may be inhaled. When taken by mouth (in baked products or as an herbal tea), the main psychoactive ingredient in Cannabis (delta-9-THC) is processed by the liver, making an additional psychoactive chemical.

When Cannabis is smoked and inhaled, cannabinoids quickly enter the bloodstream. The additional psychoactive chemical is produced in smaller amounts than when taken by mouth.

A growing number of clinical trials are studying a medicine made from a whole-plant extract of Cannabis that contains specific amounts of cannabinoids. This medicine is sprayed under the tongue.

Have any preclinical (laboratory or animal) studies been conducted using Cannabis or cannabinoids?
Preclinical studies of cannabinoids have investigated the following activities:

Antitumor activity

Studies in mice and rats have shown that cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.
A study in mice showed that cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.
A laboratory study of delta-9-THC in hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) cells showed that it damaged or killed the cancer cells. The same study of delta-9-THC in mouse models of liver cancer showed that it had antitumor effects. Delta-9-THC has been shown to cause these effects by acting on molecules that may also be found in non-small cell lung cancer cells and breast cancer cells.
A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.
A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in human glioma cells showed that when given along with chemotherapy, CBD may make chemotherapy more effective and increase cancer cell death without harming normal cells. Studies in mouse models of cancer showed that CBD together with delta-9-THC may make chemotherapy such as temozolomide more effective.
Stimulating appetite

Many animal studies have shown that delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids stimulate appetite and can increase food intake.
Pain relief

Cannabinoid receptors (molecules that bind cannabinoids) have been studied in the brain, spinal cord, and nerve endings throughout the body to understand their roles in pain relief.
Cannabinoids have been studied for anti-inflammatory effects that may play a role in pain relief.
Have any clinical trials (research studies with people) of Cannabis or cannabinoid use by cancer patients been conducted?
No clinical trials of Cannabis as a treatment for cancer in humans have been found in the CAM on PubMed database maintained by the National Institutes of Health.

Cannabis and cannabinoids have been studied in clinical trials for ways to manage side effects of cancer and cancer therapies, including the following:

Nausea and vomiting

Delta-9-THC taken by mouth: Two cannabinoid drugs approved in the United States are available under the names dronabinol and nabilone. Both dronabinol and nabilone are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting in patients who have not responded to standard therapy. Many clinical trials have shown that both dronabinol and nabilone worked as well as or better than some of the weaker FDA-approved drugs to relieve nausea and vomiting. Newer drugs given for chemotherapy-related nausea have not been directly compared with Cannabis or cannabinoids in cancer patients.
Inhaled Cannabis: Three small trials have studied inhaled Cannabis for the treatment of chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting. Various study methods and chemotherapy agents were used with mixed results. There is not enough information to interpret these findings.
Stimulating appetite

Delta-9-THC taken by mouth: A clinical trial compared delta-9-THC (dronabinol) and a standard drug (megestrol) in patients with advanced cancer and loss of appetite. Results showed that delta-9-THC was not as effective in increasing appetite or weight gain in advanced cancer patients compared with standard therapy. However, a clinical trial of patients with HIV /AIDS and weight loss found that those who took delta-9-THC had increased appetite and stopped losing weight compared with patients who took a placebo.
Inhaled Cannabis: There are no published studies of the effect of inhaled Cannabis on cancer patients with loss of appetite. Studies of healthy people who inhaled Cannabis showed that they consumed more calories, especially high-fat and sweet snacks.
Pain relief

Combining cannabinoids with opioids: In a small study of 21 patients with chronic pain, combining vaporized Cannabis with morphine relieved pain better than morphine alone, while combining vaporized Cannabis with oxycodone did not produce significantly greater pain relief. These findings should be tested in further studies.
Delta-9-THC taken by mouth: Two small clinical trials of oral delta-9-THC showed that it relieved cancer pain. In the first study, patients had good pain relief as well as relief of nausea and vomiting and better appetite. A second study showed that delta-9-THC could be given in doses that gave pain relief comparable to codeine. An observational study of nabilone also showed that it relieved cancer pain along with nausea, anxiety, and distress when compared with no treatment. Neither dronabinol nor nabilone is approved by the FDA for pain management.
Whole Cannabis plant extract medicine: A study of a whole-plant extract of Cannabis that contained specific amounts of cannabinoids, which was sprayed under the tongue, found it was effective in patients with advanced cancer whose pain was not relieved by strong opioids alone. Patients who received the lower doses of cannabinoid spray showed markedly better pain control and less sleep loss compared with patients who received a placebo. Results showed that, for some patients, control of their cancer-related pain continued without needing higher doses of spray or higher doses of their other pain medicines.
Anxiety and sleep

Inhaled Cannabis: A small case series found that patients who inhaled marijuana had improved mood, improved sense of well-being, and less anxiety.
Whole Cannabis plant extract spray: A trial of a whole-plant extract of Cannabis that contained specific amounts of cannabinoids, which was sprayed under the tongue, found that patients had improved sleep quality

www.cancer.gov.../_15

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

How about directly from the national cancer institute .

How is Cannabis administered?
Cannabis may be taken by mouth or may be inhaled. When taken by mouth (in baked products or as an herbal tea), the main psychoactive ingredient in Cannabis (delta-9-THC) is processed by the liver, making an additional psychoactive chemical.

When Cannabis is smoked and inhaled, cannabinoids quickly enter the bloodstream. The additional psychoactive chemical is produced in smaller amounts than when taken by mouth.

A growing number of clinical trials are studying a medicine made from a whole-plant extract of Cannabis that contains specific amounts of cannabinoids. This medicine is sprayed under the tongue.

Have any preclinical (laboratory or animal) studies been conducted using Cannabis or cannabinoids?
Preclinical studies of cannabinoids have investigated the following activities:

Antitumor activity

Studies in mice and rats have shown that cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.
A study in mice showed that cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.
A laboratory study of delta-9-THC in hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) cells showed that it damaged or killed the cancer cells. The same study of delta-9-THC in mouse models of liver cancer showed that it had antitumor effects. Delta-9-THC has been shown to cause these effects by acting on molecules that may also be found in non-small cell lung cancer cells and breast cancer cells.
A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.
A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in human glioma cells showed that when given along with chemotherapy, CBD may make chemotherapy more effective and increase cancer cell death without harming normal cells. Studies in mouse models of cancer showed that CBD together with delta-9-THC may make chemotherapy such as temozolomide more effective.
Stimulating appetite

Many animal studies have shown that delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids stimulate appetite and can increase food intake.
Pain relief

Cannabinoid receptors (molecules that bind cannabinoids) have been studied in the brain, spinal cord, and nerve endings throughout the body to understand their roles in pain relief.
Cannabinoids have been studied for anti-inflammatory effects that may play a role in pain relief.
Have any clinical trials (research studies with people) of Cannabis or cannabinoid use by cancer patients been conducted?
No clinical trials of Cannabis as a treatment for cancer in humans have been found in the CAM on PubMed database maintained by the National Institutes of Health.

Cannabis and cannabinoids have been studied in clinical trials for ways to manage side effects of cancer and cancer therapies, including the following:

Nausea and vomiting

Delta-9-THC taken by mouth: Two cannabinoid drugs approved in the United States are available under the names dronabinol and nabilone. Both dronabinol and nabilone are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting in patients who have not responded to standard therapy. Many clinical trials have shown that both dronabinol and nabilone worked as well as or better than some of the weaker FDA-approved drugs to relieve nausea and vomiting. Newer drugs given for chemotherapy-related nausea have not been directly compared with Cannabis or cannabinoids in cancer patients.
Inhaled Cannabis: Three small trials have studied inhaled Cannabis for the treatment of chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting. Various study methods and chemotherapy agents were used with mixed results. There is not enough information to interpret these findings.
Stimulating appetite

Delta-9-THC taken by mouth: A clinical trial compared delta-9-THC (dronabinol) and a standard drug (megestrol) in patients with advanced cancer and loss of appetite. Results showed that delta-9-THC was not as effective in increasing appetite or weight gain in advanced cancer patients compared with standard therapy. However, a clinical trial of patients with HIV /AIDS and weight loss found that those who took delta-9-THC had increased appetite and stopped losing weight compared with patients who took a placebo.
Inhaled Cannabis: There are no published studies of the effect of inhaled Cannabis on cancer patients with loss of appetite. Studies of healthy people who inhaled Cannabis showed that they consumed more calories, especially high-fat and sweet snacks.
Pain relief

Combining cannabinoids with opioids: In a small study of 21 patients with chronic pain, combining vaporized Cannabis with morphine relieved pain better than morphine alone, while combining vaporized Cannabis with oxycodone did not produce significantly greater pain relief. These findings should be tested in further studies.
Delta-9-THC taken by mouth: Two small clinical trials of oral delta-9-THC showed that it relieved cancer pain. In the first study, patients had good pain relief as well as relief of nausea and vomiting and better appetite. A second study showed that delta-9-THC could be given in doses that gave pain relief comparable to codeine. An observational study of nabilone also showed that it relieved cancer pain along with nausea, anxiety, and distress when compared with no treatment. Neither dronabinol nor nabilone is approved by the FDA for pain management.
Whole Cannabis plant extract medicine: A study of a whole-plant extract of Cannabis that contained specific amounts of cannabinoids, which was sprayed under the tongue, found it was effective in patients with advanced cancer whose pain was not relieved by strong opioids alone. Patients who received the lower doses of cannabinoid spray showed markedly better pain control and less sleep loss compared with patients who received a placebo. Results showed that, for some patients, control of their cancer-related pain continued without needing higher doses of spray or higher doses of their other pain medicines.
Anxiety and sleep

Inhaled Cannabis: A small case series found that patients who inhaled marijuana had improved mood, improved sense of well-being, and less anxiety.
Whole Cannabis plant extract spray: A trial of a whole-plant extract of Cannabis that contained specific amounts of cannabinoids, which was sprayed under the tongue, found that patients had improved sleep quality

www.cancer.gov.../_15

Where in that does it state that it treats cancer in humans?
Mouse model studies, in vitro studies on individual cells and the terms "may" and "might be" are far from saying it works.
Paracetamol (Tylenol) kills cancer cells in vitro, does that mean it kills cancer in humans?
No.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I think whether it kills cancer cells is important but just as important is being able to ease the side effects of the chemo. I'm on my 2nd day of cycle 6/6 temozolomide chemo therapy. It really is strong stuff, kind of hits me about 2pm. I can't get up out of bed. I just have to lay there and let its do its business. I managed to eat twice yesterday. Only four more days to go and then that's it I've finished my chemo. It's brutal stuff. Anything to make it easier and the day go quicker would be a good thing. Hopefully the chemo can kill any cells left behind after the surgery and there seems to be a lot of new promising treatments on the horizon, so starting to have a bit more hope about the future. Needs more funding for research as most goes towards breast cancer research.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I think whether it kills cancer cells is important but just as important is being able to ease the side effects of the chemo. I'm on my 2nd day of cycle 6/6 temozolomide chemo therapy. It really is strong stuff, kind of hits me about 2pm. I can't get up out of bed. I just have to lay there and let its do its business. I managed to eat twice yesterday. Only four more days to go and then that's it I've finished my chemo. It's brutal stuff. Anything to make it easier and the day go quicker would be a good thing. Hopefully the chemo can kill any cells left behind after the surgery and there seems to be a lot of new promising treatments on the horizon, so starting to have a bit more hope about the future. Needs more funding for research as most goes towards breast cancer research.

You are so brave , Can i ask you a personal question?

how long have you been fighting this ?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
If cannabis is such a miracle cancer cure, why did Bob Marley die from it?

I'm not saying that it doesn't have potential in some areas, but I do think a lot of stoners clutch at the proverbial straws.
edit on 28/8/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk and Terrance McKenna. I don't believe it's the miracle cure, just a drug that can be used therapeutically, like many drugs. What's for sure is that more scientific investigation needs to be done. Not just on cannabis, but other drugs deemed illegal, by governments, who tend to ignore science and professors who know better than most politicians who's only concern is getting reelected and maintaining their gravy train. Their concern is certainly not harm reduction, otherwise alcohol and tabacco which are one of the biggest killers in the world would be regarded as the most dangerous drugs for causing harm to society. Yet you could argue alcohol is promoted by government and regularly consumed by politicians, who get it subsidised at the House of Commons bar. So it's difficult to take moral guidance from these hypocrites that represent us

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta
Nothing brave about it really, you just get on with it. Get you head down and slog through it. There's not much choice really. It's been 13 years now, it's come back 4 times in those 13 years, which has meant a lot of treatment. I've been very lucky, many people don't last this long with this type of tumour. I've been lucky that I manage to tolerate the chemo well. Pretty much ruined any chance of a normal life , but I'm still alive. You learn to accept the things you miss out on in life and make the most of what you have. It could always be worse.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
If cannabis is such a miracle cancer cure, why did Bob Marley die from it?

I'm not saying that it doesn't have potential in some areas, but I do think a lot of stoners clutch at the proverbial straws.

If chemo works so well why do so many people die from cancer each day?

See how that works?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys

At what point did I mention chemo?

The discussion is about the use of cannabis as an alternative treatment, I know chemo isn't always effective...there is no definitive cure.

Cannabis may hold the key to curing it, nobody can say for sure if it does or not.....but the fact is the stoner crowd will jump on anything to get their precious herb legalised, ignoring any negative results.

I can tell you what cannabis does do....it can cause mental health issues, high blood pressure, anxiety....even years after a smoker has stopped.

It isn't a one stop wonder drug.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

Water can cause death if ingested too quickly.

Your point?

And the fact that you keep calling people "stoners" shows me how much of a biased person you are. Are the scientists at NIH and the Cancer Institute "stoners"?
edit on 28-8-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys

Water can cause death if ingested too quickly.

I think you mean drinking too much water can kill through water intoxication......

But we need water to survive, it bears no relevance to the discussion of a drug.

ETA: I use stoners simply as a way to describe cannabis smokers, is there a better term? Pothead, reeferhead or whatever sounds more insulting in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

use stoners simply as a way to describe cannabis smokers, is there a better term? Pothead, reeferhead or whatever sounds more insulting in my opinion.

How about people?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

use stoners simply as a way to describe cannabis smokers, is there a better term? Pothead, reeferhead or whatever sounds more insulting in my opinion.

How about people?

You're missing his point.

I believe his point to be that people are trying to justify the recreational use of cannabis by lauding its alleged health benefits (in the case of being a "cure" for cancer anyway).

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pardon?

How about people?

I believe his point to be that people are trying to justify the recreational use of cannabis by lauding its alleged health benefits (in the case of being a "cure" for cancer anyway).

If it is a cure or even makes ones life slightly better who cares if someone uses it recreationally?

Does alcohol have any health benefits?

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

How about people?

If it is a cure or even makes ones life slightly better who cares if someone uses it recreationally?

I'm personally not bothered but then I don't make claims that it's a panacea.
It's pretty evident it's those who are trying to make out it cures cancer are the ones who use it recreationally.
So obviously they care.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

How about people?

It's pretty evident it's those who are trying to make out it cures cancer are the ones who use it recreationally.
So obviously they care.

Scientists at NIH and the Cancer Institute are stoners now?

No clinical trials of Cannabis as a treatment for cancer in humans were identified in a PubMed search; however, a single, small study of intratumoral injection of delta-9-THC in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme reported potential antitumoral activity.

www.cancer.gov...

They are just stoners so don't listen to them and let's keep our heads in the sand like ignorant arrogant people because "stoners just want to get high".

To that I say F*ck you to the non-stoners.

edit on 29-8-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

How about people?

So obviously they care.

Scientists at NIH and the Cancer Institute are stoners now?

No clinical trials of Cannabis as a treatment for cancer in humans were identified in a PubMed search; however, a single, small study of intratumoral injection of delta-9-THC in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme reported potential antitumoral activity.

www.cancer.gov...

They are just stoners so don't listen to them and let's keep our heads in the sand like ignorant arrogant people because "stoners just want to get high".

To that I say F*ck you to the non-stoners.

You've just proved my point.

"a single, small study of intratumoral injection of delta-9-THC in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme reported potential antitumoral activity".

In fact you've proved it better than I could.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   

There aren't many studies because it's a schedule 1 drug. It's a schedule 1 drug because there aren't many studies.

You just proved my point.

Maybe if people like you would stop calling everyone "stoners" then there could be progress in studying this plant.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

And my point all along has been that chemotherapy is possibly able to cure cancer.

But we don't see your tirade about that do we? I wonder why?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join