It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern California at a greater tsunami risk than previously thoought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

A new study by UC Riverside and U.S. Geological Survey scientists have concluded that they believe there is a bigger tsunami than previously believed. While it might not have the impact as depiocted in the movie San Andreas it would still create some havic and move inland in low lying levels.

Here is the actual article: Tsunami

Also this is a map of the California Coastal areas and areas that could be effected. Maps of counties
Government officials said they will review the study and might have to make statewide revisions to the tsunami flood zone maps

After reading this I can't get Iron Maiden's song out of my head......Run to the hills, run for your lives

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Just looking at that simulation really makes it very easy to see how a Tsunami forms, Really all the clues are in the coastlines and the way the wave moves around larger rock layers and builds on itself until it crests. I dont think this would come as a shock to anyone, The fact that California hasnt had a major earthquake or Tsunami for many years now is more of a shock.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Another weapon of mass distraction. Don't we have real problems to worry about?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It sounds to me like they are genuinely trying to prepare the state and make changes and not trying just to scare us?a reply to: starviego

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: tRiP2BrAiN

Excellent source material - thank you.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
First: interesting post/thread. S&F

Second: I clicked on this thread because the title caught my attention. I was then surprised to see that the picture you used on your post is the one I used on my signature.
Nice, tiny coincidence.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

You are welcome, I was actually surprised because prior to this I had no idea tsunamis were a possibility in Southern California.

posted on Aug, 22 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

Haha, we both have good taste

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Nice picture, but it has no basis in science.

Southern California has no active subduction fault off it's coast to generate the type of tsunami you posted in that image. But go north of that, and then you have plates moving under the continent that would cause a tsunami after a large slip.

We call it the "Ring Of Fire" around the Pacific ocean for a reason. It's an unstable tectonic area that is in constant motion, pushing and pulling massive plates that make up our planet. And yes, California is under the gun for a slip quake that could happen at any time, and it could be devastating depending on so many factors. But this quake will be under the land, not under the ocean.

It's the subduction faults off the coast of continents that cause the massive tsunamis. These locked areas of the crust get to a breaking point like what happened in Chile today, or what will happen in the Pacific Northwest when the Yuan De Fuca plate slips under the North American plate in the next few years. The massive devastation caused by that zipper popping from Oregon to Vancouver Island will not only crumble infrastructure, but the tsunami waves that follow what is predicted to be a 9+ will totally wash away the ruined cities near the epicenter.

Hours after this mega-quake, Pacific islands will be flooded on their Eastern shores, and we know from history that within about 8 hours Japan will be inundated with a wave that traveled across an entire ocean, sweeping into harbours and coastal areas with the same devastation as if it had happened on their own coast.

We live on a very dynamic planet. I urge everyone to do some basic preparation to survive after an event, and if you live in an area with a specific threat, either move, or harden your castle against the coming storm.

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Best of luck for them updating with the new information. The Northwest with the Cascadia fault still has a lot to cover with updates from new info, drills will be conducted next years and hope for them to cover protecting the elderly-which was brought up in criticism. That may have to be brought up in California as well.

The "Maps of counties" didn't work for me. Try this link: Here

new topics

top topics

join