It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC testing held up by UFOs and electron clouds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Only not the UFO's you may be thinking of.

Clouds of electrons created by ionised gas in the beam chamber and microscopic dust particles – playfully known as unidentified falling objects, or UFOs – are interrupting the beams and making it harder to get the LHC running consistently.

MO Power, MO Problems.

LHC ISSUES

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AshFan

You didn't get the Memo ?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'd be interested to read your thoughts on this because I don't understand why this is important , they've just restarted the machine after a refit.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Interesting. I was always had the understanding that the colider was a hermetically sealed affair. That this kind of thing would skew test results and limit the ability to smash particles at x speed because of the obstructions in the accelerator chamber.

Being that dust and foreign contaminate block the light beams to a degree and reflect/refract their energy and the ability to accelerate the target particles.

I wonder if the contaminate is being created from the smashing of the gas particles.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

That's mostly correct, but they aren't circulating beams of light. All you'd get circulating light at that energy is very high energy gamma radiation which would occasionally produce an electron / positron pair, which would annihilate into lower-energy gamma. Also, you can't contain light in such a fashion as to make it run around a hollow ring like that.
edit on 20-8-2015 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

I thought it was high energy lasers that were timed and controlled in such a way that it accelerates the particles; say a and b around the ring until they reach a crucial speed, then direct them into one another to create a new particle.

What is the method of propulsion then? I find the whole thing fascinating.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AshFan
Only not the UFO's you may be thinking of.

Clouds of electrons created by ionised gas in the beam chamber and microscopic dust particles – playfully known as unidentified falling objects, or UFOs – are interrupting the beams and making it harder to get the LHC running consistently.

MO Power, MO Problems.

LHC ISSUES

Sure now, isn't the tunnel made of concrete, there's always going to be dust, and likely paint chips, and spiders, and ants...the odd fly travelling at near light speed, etc.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

They should've installed a vaccum cleaner into their fancy vacuum tubes.

Could be everything from little pieces of interior to remnants from that tiny metal fragment they blew up:

After having located the fault and carried out precise measurements, the accelerator teams decided to melt the metal fragment, in a similar way to blowing a fuse. Yesterday they injected a current of almost 400 amps into the diode circuit for just a few milliseconds, in order to make the fragment disintegrate. And it worked! Measurements made today showed that the short circuit had disappeared.

home.web.cern.ch...

ULOs all over the place. Interesting though, thanks for the update!
edit on 20-8-2015 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

What is the method of propulsion then?

Big ass magnets push and pull naked protons. Hell of a ride!

In the first part of the accelerator, an electric field strips hydrogen nuclei (consisting of one proton and one electron) of their electrons. Electric fields along the accelerator switch from positive to negative at a given frequency, pulling charged particles forwards along the accelerator. CERN engineers control the frequency of the change to ensure the particles accelerate not in a continuous stream, but in closely spaced “bunches”.

home.web.cern.ch...

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

No, it is protons. Actual particles.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Oh so its a giant electromagnetic accelerator. I didn’t realize that electromagnetic fields had a polar effect on non metallic non ferrous particles.

Man i wish i was smart enough to learn some physics.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

But you just did.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

See? Never too late, you are a fast learner! Same here, I hated physics in school.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

Sort of my issue in school as well, but I loved science and physics, I just hated math.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This just blew my mind. The EM spectrum is huge, I wonder what else in the cosmos has an effect on particles.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

See? Never too late, you are a fast learner! Same here, I hated physics in school.

I hated them too, made me sick...then having to sit in the loo all day.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Yep. And then I saw Pi (the movie) and was simply amazed.

Somehow the same with Cern, known unknowns and (yet) unknown unknowns. Fascinating stuff.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

There are some strange and slightly comparable things happening right above our top secret hats:

Ordinary auroras are caused by electrons, which rain down on Earth's atmosphere from above. Atoms of oxygen and nitrogen, excited by the pitter-patter of electrons, form dynamic curtains of light. Protons have a different effect. For reasons not fully understood, protons normally trapped in our planet's ring current sometimes rain down on Earth's atmosphere during geomagnetic storms. En route, they excite a type of plasma wave called "EMIC"--short for electromagnetic ion cyclotron waves. The result is not a curtain, but rather a tight arc of light as shown above.

spaceweather.com...

I like the "not fully understood" part btw. Something we read not often enough nowadays.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

www.thedailysheeple.com...

Thought you might find this an interesting read. Off topic slightly but goes into great deal on what actually goes on at CERN.

Quick quote..

The LHC has run at the record high energy with each beam containing up to 476 bunches of 100 billion protons, delivering collisions every 50 nanoseconds. In the coming days, the intensity should increase further with a new rhythm of 25 nanoseconds. After a planned technical stop in early September, the teams will also be able to increase the number of bunches with the goal of reaching more than 2000 bunches per beam by the end of 2015.

edit on 20-8-2015 by iFloButta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: iFloButta

Very cool read! I recommend it to anyone interested. They tried to help us non-physisists understand.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

So true! I'm glad you took a look. Obviously the last part of the article veered in a sinister and weird direction, but the rest of it I found to be very informative.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join