It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manspreading Should Be a Constitutional Right

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You have a right to what you pay for right?

I didn't mean it as a constitutional right.

You have the right to be an asshole until it prevents someone from getting they paid for.
In this case a seat on public transport.
If someone had a bag taking up seat would that be ok because they have the right to be an asshole?
I also have the right to call you out for being said asshole.

I do think the tickets are a little to far, but I would also see that more as enforcement of the what you are entitled to when you buy what ever pass/ticket that allows you to use the transport.

Like when I take the trolly down to down town, there is an automated message that always says please do not take up more then one seat in anyway.
edit on thThu, 20 Aug 2015 12:21:04 -0500America/Chicago820150480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No, if you are sitting and you take up TWO seats because you are spreading your legs then you are an asshole. Plain and simple. If Ron Jeremy doesn't have this problem, then the yahoo in New York has no right to complain.
edit on 20-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

You have a right to what you pay for right?

I didn't mean it as a constitutional right.

You have the right to be an asshole until it prevents someone from getting they paid for.
In this case a seat on public transport.
If someone had a bag taking up seat would that be ok because they have the right to be asshole?
I also have the right to call you out for being said asshole.

I do think the tickets are a little to far, but I would also see that more as enforcement of the what you are entitled to when you buy what ever pass/ticket that allows you to use the transport.

Like when I take the trolly down to down town, there is an automated message that always says please do not take up more then one seat in anyway.

What if someone is sitting there, barely able to tolerate the excruciating pain from a boil on their inner thigh? Hidradenitis Supperativa is a VERY common ailment in the US, and ever growing because of our obesity issue. Should a person have to go through the indignity of explaining their embarassing medical issue to someone just so they'll leave them alone?

What if the person sitting there has sciatica, and can barely walk onto the bus to begin with? Leg and hip position can cause significant exacerbation of sciatica (i.e., crossing legs)

People should not have to explain themselves to the rest of the world for every little thing.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No, if you are sitting and you take up TWO seats because you are spreading your legs then you are an asshole. Plain and simple. If Ron Jeremy doesn't have this problem, then the yahoo in New York has no right to complain.

Certainly he may be an asshole. Which he has a right to. Unlike the people wanting a seat.

ETA: next thing you know, someone will be suggesting a law that requires you to move your shopping cart so someone else can get by.
edit on 8/20/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

a reply to: introvert

It's a non-issue started by anti-feminists when some guy got yelled at for trying to take up two seats on the subway (or bus) by spreading his legs. Again two seats. If you have to spread your legs so far that it prevents someone else from sitting down, YOU are the problem. Not them.

maybe.

or maybe your are exceptionally tall. Or perhaps have hip dysplasia or something.

I have a friend who is 6'6" and he doesn't have to take up two seats when he sits down. As far as hip dysplasia or some odd medical condition that may force you to sit like that, I'm PRETTY sure one can mention such things if someone gets mad at you for taking up two seats.

Point is: in a free society, people don't get tickets for sitting quietly and fully clothed.

This is incorrect. You can get a ticket for not giving up your seat to the elderly or infirm too. Not to mention, there are VERY few reasons why someone would have a legitimate reason to take up two seats, and most of the reasons I can think of have to do with being severely overweight, not having well endowed equipment (in fact, it is likely that if your equipment was such that you HAD to spread your legs like that, then you probably have some serious testicular cancer going on).

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I have a friend who is 6'6" and he doesn't have to take up two seats when he sits down. As far as hip dysplasia or some odd medical condition that may force you to sit like that, I'm PRETTY sure one can mention such things if someone gets mad at you for taking up two seats.

And Im PRETTY sure that requiring that is a HIPPA violation, which actually IS a right.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I don't even know why we are talking about acute medical conditions. We both know that the asshole in the story didn't have a medical condition. He just wanted to spread his legs and be an asshole.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Never heard about 'manspreading' before,
Is this a Nu Yoik thing...and who started it, Bill Clinton?

edit on 20-8-2015 by smurfy because: Video.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

So more what ifs, I guess I used one so we are even.

I guess there would be exceptions and I would be in the event someone has sciatica they may be able to get a handicap seat which offers more room.

But those are not going to be the norm, I think you are aware of this.

As far as issues arising form obesity, ya I don't think we do need to bend the rules for that.
Obesity is something you can control.

And sorry but when you are riding public transportation then you are going to have to deal with the public.
Taking up two seats is a great way to get your self involved with other people.
My impression is in NYC public transport is rather packed, why do you deserve an extra seat more then anyone else?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Ok everyone THIS stock photo is an example of manspreading.

If you are ok with that, then you are an asshole. That guy could TOTALLY close his legs a bit and still have them spread enough so that he isn't squishing his junk.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
#SpreadThighsMatter

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Because i have known people with those conditions, and believe HIPPA > someone wanting to sit down

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Well this issue isn't ABOUT those people. This issue is about people wanting to spread their legs because they can.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And I would doubt it is a majority of men you know.

You have the right to be an asshole, you don't have the right to prevent someone from using what they paid for.

If you have a medical condition then take it up with the service you are using, I would bet they would be able to accommodate you.

edit on thThu, 20 Aug 2015 13:05:13 -0500America/Chicago820151380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

it doesn't matter if its a majority. In the United States of America that I was raised in, we protected the rights of the individual. Forcing an individual to disclose an embarassing medical condition to keep the mob from stringing them up is the worst thing I have heard in my lifetime. Seriously. This makes the TSA look logical.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Well this issue isn't ABOUT those people. This issue is about people wanting to spread their legs because they can.

And how do you divide the two categories short of violating their right to medical privacy?

In a nation where we are up in arms of over reaching police, over reaching government authority....this really baffles me.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

You know if it was SUCH a big issue, they DO have handicapped seats that people can sit in for that very reason. And it IS a ticket-able offense to not give up a handicapped seat to someone who needs to use it.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It really comes down to if you are sitting in a handicapped seat or not. If you aren't, then you have to be courteous to anyone who wants to sit next to you regardless of your medical conditions. YOU opted to sit in a non-handicapped seat, so you have to abide by the rules like you are completely able bodied.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If anyone has a problem with this then your just nuts.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

You know if it was SUCH a big issue, they DO have handicapped seats that people can sit in for that very reason. And it IS a ticket-able offense to not give up a handicapped seat to someone who needs to use it.

My mom has lost 3 disks in her lower back, and has a handicapped plate for her truck. But since she doesn't get wheeled into the store on a gurney, people have still questioned her in the parking lot ("You don't LOOK handicapped").

So, once again, the solution is to force people to disclose confidential and embarassing medical information just to keep the mob from lynching them?

What country am I in again??? You mean we have laws forcing courteousness now???

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join