It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The taboo subject none of the candidates have dared to broach....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
It's been fairly obvious that both sides have used issues such as the Iran accord, or 'Billionaires' or the 'Fed' as their talking points rather than economic issue such as jobs and the overall economy. Oh, there might be the odd comment if one looks hard enough, but between the media and the lock-step political advisors of both parties reading the polls, before opining, with the reverence given to biblical passages.

One only has to look at the now extinct issue of balancing the budget. Both sides knowing full well that any draconian cuts to federal spending without a massive economic boost would topple what little remains of our economy.

There is one issue, however, that seems to be virtually verboten across the complete political spectrum.

That is the loss of balance between the three branches of the federal Government.

Irrespective of acts by previous presidents, nebulous precedent and fancy legalese, the sum total of this Administration's actions leave no room for doubt that the Executive Branch has exceeded it's Constitutional authority and has willy-nilly applied and ignored extant laws as it sees fit.

While I am a 'right' supporter and judge Obama more harshly than I would a President from the right, There is plenty of evidence that he has, in fact, expanded Executive power. These are a few links in an attempt to lessen the arguments that he hasn't doesn't so.

www.vox.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

One can only suppose as to why the current candidates haven't address this. First and foremost, each see themselves in the same office enjoying the same privileges Obama has. Somewhat analogous to the line item veto gridlock where "I'd love to have it, but I'll be damn if I'll give it those guys".

A new bar has been set and the race is on to see who gets to play with it next...

The there's the Judicial branch. That bar has been raised from 'Judicial activism' to re-writing laws already in place via the legislative Branch. There are far more links on the same subject if one looks. This will suffice for now:

www.breitbart.com...

Again many arguments for and against this issue, yet even that branch is suffering from less and less trust.

Then there's the Legislative Branch...sigh. Already well documented, exposed and distrusted. We hardly need links for this one at this time...

The point here is can we really expect to address the issues that face this nation when the very system of the balance of power between the branches are so misaligned? Can we 'fix' the economy, international issues, or anything else in a meaningful way without stabilizing the very system we use to do business? I think not.

I won't even go to the 'fourth level of gov't' which the individual departments making arbitrary regulations without congressional approval or meaningful over-site.

Do we address the Executive Branch first? All three concurrently? Can it be done at all. Can it even be addressed by the candidates we have to chose from when they don't voice it?

Which candidate steps up, if any? Does the average voter even know or care about these issues? Has that lack of caring allowed political activism to take over our gov't?

Where to begin?....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

It takes education and interest, sadly lacking these days and the worst is to come...

You don't change gov't with the Presidential election...

You change it at the base... the Congressional level...

If you can't change Congress, than we should reap what we sow, an Executive branch that wins with ALL the money from folks with all the money...

I think they boasted that the last election was the first BILLION dollar Pres election...

Why would the folks accept that? well we did.. and look what's on deck...

another election season with the Oval Office at stake, and the battle is on, not for votes, but for MONEY ...

The folks on both sides of the aisle aren't eliminated due to their concepts, they are swept aside due to what $$$ can buy...

While folks are clamoring for Trump (self funded) Bush (GOP Money), and Clinton (money)...

There are choices out there who will be shunned, unless they rise to high in the polls, then that $$$$$ will be used to run them out of contention..

Me? I am excited by both Dr Ben Carson, and Sen Jim Webb... one from each party... but I can't help but think that, $$$$$ will rule the day again...

I was never one to fall for being bought... how about you?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The Supreme Court thing scares me most. In the next 4-8 years, three or four justices will either die or retire.
This is the Citizens United Supreme Court.
I'd rather have a president that supported personal liberties appointing those justices.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

The 'bought' comment makes me skittish...LOL. I'm as anti-class warfare as I am anti-bought. It makes for anxiety attacks..

I can't even honestly say I wouldn't do the same or similar if I were in the same temptation...

'Selling one's soul' seems the better term for it. It may not be 'cash'. It can and often is post public office paybacks, jobs, status, power. The idea of restricting 'Corporations' or Billionaires seems vanilla efforts. Be it the Fed or Congress. In the case of the Fed-and our election funding-restricting contributions has the effect of empowering even further, those that remain in the process. Media, Unions, Political action groups, gov't sponsored activism. Not really a solution, just shifting the power base elsewhere....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Ouch! More Executive power? There has got to be a better way....

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

The Supreme Court thing scares me most.

Yea, me too. I was just talking with my wife the other day about how they're appointed and not elected by us commoners.
A president could theoretically "stack the deck" pretty easily if 4 to 5 vacancies occur during his term.

Not like it matters anyway, it's not like our votes mean anything in regards to the presidential elections when the electoral college is calling the shots, so why would we be given an obligatory but meaningless say in who the supreme court is comprised of?

These three (or four) branches need accountability, something like a citizen oversight branch of government made up of average people, since they are all so out of touch and can't relate with the average US citizen's life.

edit on 20-8-2015 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

The very first presidential executive order was a proclamation signed by George Washington on April 22, 1793, giving instruction to federal officers to prosecute any citizens interfering with the war between England and France. In this case, Washington made the decree by executive order because Congress was out of session

Oh, if we'd just turn to history.

Executive orders are tyranny in disguise.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

There is one issue, however, that seems to be virtually verboten across the complete political spectrum.

That is the loss of balance between the three branches of the federal Government.

Irrespective of acts by previous presidents, nebulous precedent and fancy legalese, the sum total of this Administration's actions leave no room for doubt that the Executive Branch has exceeded it's Constitutional authority and has willy-nilly applied and ignored extant laws as it sees fit.

While I am a 'right' supporter and judge Obama more harshly than I would a President from the right, There is plenty of evidence that he has, in fact, expanded Executive power. These are a few links in an attempt to lessen the arguments that he hasn't doesn't so.

Not a bad narrative from the side of the political spectrum I tend to disagree with more often than not, Every once in a while I see a gem of honest introspection and it's absolutely uplifting when I see it. It gives me hope that not all is lost when it comes to the foundation of our system of governance.

You could make the case that all three branches have pushed the boundaries of their authorities at one point or another from almost the very inception of this government. This is something we tend to see historically throughout virtually every system of governance. From newly set precedents, to outright violations, there's nothing new in this regard.

I do however think there's a legitimate argument to be had, especially from the constitutional purest's position, that there has been a steady but slow drift away from the constraints that were intended to maintain good order.

I will however posit a counter to this idea.

I tend to think there is much more of an issue of cohesion between the two major parties that is at the root of the above mentioned. Political and social activism is crushing any kind of trust, honesty, and cohesion that could make this thing run a bit better. I think if you add money and major media into the activism side of this thing the divides become even sharper.

And let us remember that both sides willfully take part in this charade. There's nothing better to rally your supporters than with a good ole fashioned enemy to demonize. It, to me at least, appears to not be about what's best, but what can polarize the populace and then rally the aligning base.

How to solve this issue?
Well..... That's a tough nut to crack there.

There is one surefire way to bring cohesion back into equilibrium.

As with producing a good ole fashioned enemy...
There's nothing like attempting to extinguish them with a good ole fashioned fight.

EDIT TO ADD: S&F by the way. I would applause if I could.
edit on 20-8-2015 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

(post by Seanoamericano removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I've watched some of these candidates on the CSpan forum. They all talk in pretty generalities rather than address hard issues. They don't attempt to provide solutions to real problems; they just say, "I'll fix this or that". There are a couple of reasons I think.

One, a candidate can't propose a realistic solution to any of the problems without offending one group or another and these political races anymore are more about form than substance. Therefore, its important to "look" good and inclusive, kind and above all, politically correct.

Two, they know there aren't any "political" solutions to the problems in the US because its become too large, too diverse in terms of Policy "thinking" and strategizing, too divided, one interest against another, for there to be any success in formulating a "policy" solution to a problem and getting it passed through Congress. All that happens is tinkering around the edges. There's no "Bi-Partisan" cooperation in Congress because there's no upside to the individual members to reach across the aisle and hammer out a compromise.

Then of course, there's Trump who doesn't care or understand any of this, but he really only resonates with the geriatric "Americans" of yesteryear. He'll fade, I think.

In a strange sort of way I can't quite describe, the Federal Government, and there is more than one....there's the "elected" officials and the "Agencies" that actually formulate policy and impose it upon all of the US, is in some sense becoming ever more irrelevant. The west coast states have legalized marijuana, essentially nullifying Federal Drug laws; Texas isn't issuing birth certificates in some cases to babies born to aliens; County clerks in some states in fly-over country aren't issuing marriage certificates to gay couples. And the Feds have surrendered so much national sovereignty that the drug cartels have set up bases 70 miles inside the border of the US in southwestern states.

On the other hand, the "Agencies" which aren't subject to any real oversight anymore by the elected "Officials" are implementing policies that essentially operate to pick and chose who wins and who loses in the economy and business world. So, the EPA is killing the coal industry while other agencies funnel money to solar and wind energy farms lining the pockets of those businesses.

So, yea......the candidates aren't going to address real problems. Why bother?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nucleardoom

These three (or four) branches need accountability, something like a citizen oversight branch of government made up of average people, since they are all so out of touch and can't relate with the average US citizen's life.

I think you are right. We need representatives for the people to make sure government is executed in the peoples interest.

NOw....where shall we house these representatives? LOL

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So, we turn the last Branch of government that is not swallowed up in party politics into another place for billionaires to buy votes.

Yeah, sounds like a great idea.

I support the Constitution. Supreme Court Justices are indeed appointed by the President BUT are confirmed by the Senate.

That's about as close to a real balance as we're going to get.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I can't argue your points.

I will say one thing for Trump, he has broken the P.C. rule and given more wiggle room for the other candidates to respond in kind or disagreement. Also, I'm not convinced Trump doesn't fully understand the mechanism you refer to.

I really can't figure this guy out. He is certainly outside the box...a wild card, self-financed....and above all, he can't be labeled as 'bought', certainly not 'controlled', LOL.

I can think of nothing more alarming to the good ole boy network than someone who is beyond predictable.

I take a no small pleasure in that aspect of it.....

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Agreed.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: GD21D

I am grateful for you comments. Seriously.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Agreed.

Well, there's a first time for everything, LOL.

Sadly, it won't last. I have to disagree with you about this much lauded "rejection of PC" that so many keep trying to lay at The Donald's feet.

He's a brash, uncompromising, loud-mouth. He took the usual right-wing BS about immigrants both legal and illegal a stop further than usual.

That's what he does. He always, well, "trumps" whatever is played against him. Always goes back louder, ruder, more outrageously.

There has been no "silence" in this country on what both sides of the political spectrum see as a constellation of issues to be resolved.
edit on 9Thu, 20 Aug 2015 09:11:46 -050015p092015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
LOL.
Yet again, agreed. It won't last long.

I can add another attribute to Trump...he gets you riled up....LOL

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

LOL.
Yet again, agreed. It won't last long.

I can add another attribute to Trump...he gets you riled up....LOL

On the contrary, I love Mr. Trump. There is nothing that could have happened that demonstrates, on a daily basis, the soul of both the modern Republican party and the American political right-wing.

I am utterly enthralled with everything Mr. Trump is saying, and I hope he keeps saying all of it and more right up until the 2016 Elections.

LOL ...

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Thank you for acknowledging the right has a soul.

That fact has yet to be determined for the left....

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Thank you for acknowledging the right has a soul.

That fact has yet to be determined for the left....

Trying to spin an off-handed metaphor into a vapid political dig?

Wow. Derailing your own topic. Peace out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join