It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This may or may not be true, we definitely need more research.

But you could also say that getting hit with a stick is less dangerous than being shot by a hand gun. That also is true, although both are harmful and the real answer is that neither are good.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

I'm not sure about groups funded by the nicotine industry but minority groups? The majority don't vape and find people vaping around them as rude and disgusting. Most people want vaping classed like smoking, keep that crap to yourself, I don't want to inhale it, nor do my children. Vaping in public areas is pure selfishness nothing else.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
a reply to: glend

I'm not sure about groups funded by the nicotine industry but minority groups? The majority don't vape and find people vaping around them as rude and disgusting. Most people want vaping classed like smoking, keep that crap to yourself, I don't want to inhale it, nor do my children. Vaping in public areas is pure selfishness nothing else.

This has basically nothing to do with the thread or the article you were too lazy to read. This thread is about vaping finally being acknowledged as safer than tobacco products by a government, and about them being a good choice to use as a smoking cessation aid.

The majority of vapers treat it like smoking, doing it outside and in smoking areas.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

Freedom of choice is all about everyone's freedoms, if someone is vaping in your face and you don't like it tell them to stop being so rude and vape somewhere else but there is no need being paranoid about its affects because second hand vaping doesn't contain tar. There is no evidence that nicotine itself causes any substantial risk for cancer. Nicotine exists in certain foods, especially potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Having been a smoker for almost half of my life, and now a "vaper"...I bend over backwards to try to be polite to others. It is something *I* choose to do. I do *not* have the right to inflict my personal choice on others.

That being said, there is so much misinformation and flatout ignorance about it, many react in an exponentially negative manner to me vaping. As it is, the smell is pleasant. Far FAR less obnoxious than entering an empty elevator only to smell the perfume or cologne of someone not even there any longer.

But, people are people. They like to complain.

Rectums. We've all got them. We should keep them to ourselves.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
we vapors aredy knew this

but i DO belive they will find some harmfull things in the flavoring

the more i read about the flavors the more i realize its a bad thing i switched to flavorless

i doubt they will find anything in vg pg and nic to harmfull if so tho we better ban fog machines

the stuff in the flavoring is not so grate its ment to be eaten who knows what artifishal flavors and colors going straight to the lungs do

how far is to far on power of sutch devices idk

id be primaraly conserned for cloud chasers thay use supper low nic and blow BIG cloudes maximizing the risk if any do exsist

main reasion i switched to flavorless was aspratine triggers migrains

after a fyew days of flavorless juice tho i can tell u it tast good lightaly sweet

now that my tast is ajusted back down i cant handle flavors there overpowering

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

Making your own juice is easy. I used to help my partner in a small e-juice business. I'd be happy to give you some info. Feel free to send me a private message.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am all for harm reduction, and vaping is better for one's health than smoking real tobacco. I quit tobacco, after being a heavy smoker.

However, e-cigarettes will never be as satisfying as a high quality cigarette nor cigar. We shouldn't pretend that vaping will replace them as a reasult.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Flavorless is good, I agree. It's the healthiest option, along with not sub-ohming.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Vaping IS replacing smoking. Of course there will be those who do not want to vape, but many want to continue the nic habit in a healthier way or much cheaper way. You're right it's not the same, but it can keep you off smokes if you want it to.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

See, the problem with you saying "Vaping isn't safe", is that you have absolutely NO scientific data to back that up. You don't even have any LOGICAL REASONING to make that assumption, let alone facts.

E-cigs, compared to cigs, most certainly are safer. Not only is the scientific evidence for that stance starting to finally emerge, but thousands of us have had doctors check-ups, before and after, and EVERY single vaper I know has had IMPROVED health, DIRECTLY related to quitting cigs (If e-cigs were AS harmful, there wouldn't be improvement, now would there?)

I don't mind people being skeptical of e-cigs. That is perfectly fine. However, spreading lies, and disinfo , like you are doing, is a whole different ball game.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Why would they test for formaldehyde? Sure, the VAPOR from e-cigs has a microscopic amount of formaldehyde in it.....about several x100 times less than cigarettes. Before any vaper starts worrying about that, I'd be MUCH more worried about what is in the water we drink, and the air we breath.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I agree with you entirely about the analogy.

E-cigs are NOT perfectly safe. LIVING itself is NOT perfectly safe. We are ALL going to die, sooner than later, and the sad reality is that 98 out of 100 people will die in a very painful way.

E-cigs are about HARM reduction. You know, the same as eating vegetables and fruits instead of processed food. Eating in general wears down the body....and many people, even those with really healthy diets, will develop some sort of illness in their digestive tracts due to wear and tear. However, eating right atleast HELPS to prevent the wear and tear to a degree.

I wouldn't ever recommend vaping to a non-smoker. However, those of us who have exhausted all options trying to quit smoking, are literally turning our ENTIRE lives around by switching to vaping.

I used to cough up phlegm EVERYDAY, I had asthma, bad breath, shortness of breath, wheezing, etc. Now that I have exclusively vaped for over 2 years, I have eliminated ALL of those issues, ENTIRELY. My doctor has praised my decision for switching to vaping, especially since I no longer suffer from any of the mentioned ailments, and my oxygen is now higher

To each their own, but vaping is saving lives, and I can't imagine why some people would be against harm reduction.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Those who I know who smoke the Ecigs openly admit their nicotine intake has increased - Because you don't get 'smoked out'. Too many cigs makes you not want more, this doesn't happen as much, if at all with Ecigs.

ALSO - body absorbs 0.1mg nicotine from a 1.2mg cigarette. Nicotine in vapour is far easily absorbed - hence the issues with platelets counts/heart problems.

But who are we in this forum of brainiacs?

If they were strong enough they'd just quit it all.

Actually, it has been determined that the absorption of nicotine in vapor is FAR, FAR less than smoking. You can ask ANY vaper, and they will verify that. Also, the RATE of absorption is much slower. THAT is the reason for an increase in nicotine amounts when switching to vaping......because the nicotine takes WAYYY longer to absorb, and you get MUCHHHHH less nicotine. Stop spreading disinfo please.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Congrats on the thread. I read the article yesterday and was wondering who would bring it to ATS. I have quit smoking for a year because of vaping. I'm still a "smoker" in my mind only because I've been doing it for so long. I will still enjoy a small cigar in the morning with my coffee but for all intended purposes, I have quit. My budget is now $20 a month on e-juice from $300. I no longer cough when I laugh and I can now take deep breaths without feeling that pain in my lungs. I will still have a cigarette but my mind has already made the switch and prefers the Vape.

I wonder if these finding will change the mind of park boards and city council who have lumped vaping in with smoking.When I moved to BC 12 years ago, 20% of of the population smoked. That's probably much less now because this province absolutely hates smokers with a passion. My opinion is, government should embrace vaping and keep it unregulated if they really want to fight against smoking. Everyone should embrace it because the sooner the tobacco companies fold, the sooner non-smokers can claim victory.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

However, e-cigarettes will never be as satisfying as a high quality cigarette nor cigar. We shouldn't pretend that vaping will replace them as a reasult.

You're doing it wrong. My Kayfun V4 on an SX Mini M Class in temp mode (or 1.2 Ω) is better than any cigarette I've ever tried.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I am all for harm reduction, and vaping is better for one's health than smoking real tobacco. I quit tobacco, after being a heavy smoker.

I can't say I've ever once heard anyone say that vaping will completely replace smoking, although I'm not sure it won't. It is only a matter of time before some REALLY solid, concrete evidence comes out that vaping is a MUCH, MUCH safer alternative to smoking cigarettes (take the article/science in this thread itself as an example), and I think within a few generations, vapers will probably outnumber smokers.

Smoking itself won't be around forever. Humans have been around for 200,000 years, in our current form, and smoking is relatively new when you consider our history. Not only is it new, but it is responsible for a HUGE percentage of diseases and death. Smoking cigarettes DIRECTLY causes cancer, and many other diseases.

Many people smoke *only* because they can't quit. 9 out of 10 of these people would be able to quit with vaping. Once the general public knows this, and the science on e-cigs is established, it is only a matter of time.....not to mention by then, the technology will be lightyears ahead of where it is right now.

I remember when I first tried an e-cig, back in 2009....it was an ENTIRELY different world back then. The flavors were dull at best, nasty at worst, the vapor was thin, the devices were weak, so much has changed in such a short period of time. In fact, a "breakthrough" happens in the world of vaping every 3-6 months that changes everything. Right now, for around $50, a person can get a 40watt mod, a subohm tank, and really, REALLY good e-liquid that would BLOW the mind of someone who has never vaped. Even a year ago this wasn't possible.

Vaping definitely isn't going anywhere.....and the industry is nearly DOUBLING in profits every YEAR. I see a new vape shop open up in my area almost every 3 months, it is INSANE. When I started years back, most people hadn't even heard of e-cigs yet. Now, I run into fellow vapers everywhere I go.

I for one am glad. I will be happy the day vapers outnumber smokers, for the health of ourselves, our children, and future generations.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I like the taste of vaping better. And there are so so so many flavors to choose from! After that the taste of a cigarette is just nasty.

I think the key is getting totally away from the cigarettes long enough that you get your taste buds back in the first place.. then you really know how good vaping tastes in comparison.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
I think the key is getting totally away from the cigarettes long enough that you get your taste buds back in the first place.. then you really know how good vaping tastes in comparison.

I disagree. Flavors don't make up for the lack of "buzz" that keeps me sneaking analogs.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

As a former smoker, then vaper, now NOTHING, I can say that the article is clearly full of it though.

Anyone I know who vapes will laugh out loud at the 95% less harmful.

In no reality is that anywhere near accurate, so here we go with being selectively "lied too" again.

Quit vaping and notice your lungs recovering, like they had been kicked in by the safe, VAPING.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join