It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I’ve been smoking e-cigs for about 6 years now. I had previously smoked about a pack a day. Within a few months after beginning I noticed a large reduction in my anxiety level if I was unable to vape for an extended period of time. I feel very strongly that cigarettes are much more addictive than just the nicotine in them. I have also been able to wean my nicotine level down, something not possible with cigarettes. At this point, if I’m busy, I can easily go half a day without even thinking about vaping. Regarding the amount of time spent actually ingesting nicotine, at today’s prices you have made a financial decision when you light a cigarette and I believe many will finish a cigarette that they really no longer crave. With e-cigs this is not a problem. I would immediately recommend them to anyone wishing to quit smoking.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: TheBlackDog
Do they test for formaldehyde?

www.nejm.org...

Your warehouse means sh** mate.

Ahh I knew this would come up.. So so so easily predictable..

Language watch.. He puts that study to rest..

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes for 52 years. Three years ago I picked up an e-cigarette and never smoked another cigarette. Preaching to the choir.

Big Tobacco pushes their Blu's and NJoy's. Get a real set-up from a Vape Shop or Online. If your lucky enough to be guided by someone who knows what they're talking about, you too can quit the cigarettes.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Is there a difference between e-Cigarettes and Vapor?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Duh... I already knew this and I'm a non-smoker that ABHORS traditional smoking.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyandi
Is there a difference between e-Cigarettes and Vapor?

I'm going to say yes and no. The majority of people are going to call anything that uses a battery an e-cig. I use what I call a "mod". I consider e-cigs to be the little things you buy at the gas station that work terribly and are the same size as a cigarette e-cigs. They're a pain in the ass, they don't work well, they don't produce enough vapor, they taste terrible and many are made by big tobacco. They both produce vapor, but you're not going to find a GOOD e-cig/mod at a gas station.

This is the kind of thing I think of as an e-cig. You don't have any control over the power output and they're pretty crappy.

This is the set up I prefer, though the picture isn't mine. You can control the power, you can control the resistance (too long to explain right here), the battery lasts a long time and is easily replaceable, you fill it and don't have to throw out parts. This set up is about $400 (better flavor, high end devices, think BMW), but you can get something effective for around $50.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
This is the set up I prefer, though the picture isn't mine. You can control the power, you can control the resistance (too long to explain right here), the battery lasts a long time and is easily replaceable, you fill it and don't have to throw out parts. This set up is about $400 (better flavor, high end devices, think BMW), but you can get something effective for around $50.

I agree with you.. People who ask what they should do I tell them start with either an Ego1 or some vape pen my wife and I started on..

I run a segeli 150 or 75w tc and a subtank mini for work or being lazy or a troll RDA or haze RDA.. The subtank I RBA it i don't like their premade coils cause I cant taste anything..

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

This is why more interested people should sign the petition going around concerning the new legislation being proposed concerning vaping here in the United States. But only if they are interested in stopping pharmaceutical companies and big tobacco from driving the small vaping businesses out of business through governmental regulation.

As to the OP:

I am with you on this. I also quit smoking via vaping, it was the only thing to help me quit. I tried everything as I posted here:

Off-Site Link

I think Doctors in the UK have had more experience with people quitting smoking through vaping - which is why they have now given this recommendation - the US is farther behind, because it is newer here. We can only hope that big corporations wont win this one in legislation, but the government is more likely to be on their side due to the tax losses from people actually quitting analog cigarettes.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm a vaper, so just wanted to chime in.

1. Vaping is not 100% safe, there are at least 9 chemicals present that causes cancer, but compared to the 64 confirmed cancer causing chemicals released from burning a cigarette, I say, your chances are much better with a vaporizer.

2. "Vaping" is not going to the local cigar shop or 7-11 to buy yourself some E-Cigarette. Vaping, is a sophisticated and often uses complex machines and high voltage components that sometimes can be harmful if you don't know what you're doing. Like all the mods going around these days, you don't use the correct part or quality parts, you may blow yourself up.

3. "Vaping" could be severely bad for your health, for the so called "Cloud Chasers". This particular group of asshats are all lining up to see how to mod their devices to the point where they don't blow themselves up, but produces vapor clouds as if they were a chimney. This is actually very bad.

Study shows that when vaporizers operating at voltage rating of 5V or above, is basically releasing more carcinogens and cancer causing chemicals compared to that of a regular cigarette.

Also, it depends on the cottons you use for your device, Organic 100% Cotton vs the chemically treated ones. I don't need to explain why you need to use the Organic one right?

So your "Smart Friends" are not incorrect when they say that Vaporizing is worse than regular burning tobacco, they didn't however, explain to you in detail just HOW and WHY it is worse. It's really bad for you, IF, you don't know what you're doing. Doing anything without research and prep is just bad practice.

4. "Vaping" does help with all the previous symptoms of regular tobacco smoking. You don't hack as much in the morning when you wake up, shortage of breath gone, bad smell all over your body or in your mouth, the list goes on and on.

However, you have to keep it in check, as it is not a perfect replacement to cigarettes.

Because vaping is so convenient, certain people have the tenancy to vape too often. You are putting Nicotine into your body, and technically speaking, you could do more harm to your body when you lose control.

Nicotine elevates your blood pressure and your heart rate, so if you are constantly puffing on that thing, unless you are using 0mg Nicotine, QUALITY juices, I'd recommend you vape once every couple of hours instead of whenever you feel like it.

Guys, when it all comes down to it, breathing in AIR is the best for your body. Not cigarette, not flavored Oxygen (it's getting more popular), not E-Cigarettes, not Vaporizers. Nothing is natural compared to just simply breathing air.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone mentioned, but I would certain love to join some type of petition for the Vapers, it is getting to the point of becoming ridiculous.

Why in the hell does Vapers need to go to a Smoking Area only to Vape?

I just don't get this...

They literally have this everywhere in California right now, even East Coast in New York, when I was attending trade shows, they ban vapes EVERYWHERE. They force vapers to go puff where Smoking Area is, I'm just baffled.

So, do these numb nuts and asshole lobbyist have the slightest idea why some people chose vaping in the first place? It is to #ing quit smoking cigarettes in the first place. Now with all the vape banning everywhere, we are forced to second hand all the Carbon Monoxide all over again.

Seriously, all the vapers need to unite and start some kind of movement. How many people do they need to sign a petition to get the Capital's attention? 100K? 200K signatures for it to be a significant issue?

Come on.. I'm sure there are a lot more vapers out there than a mere few hundred thousand. We really need to get together and fight back, because it's just insane to me that I need to go to a Smoking Area only, when I'm Vaping a Strawberry Banana flavor with 0mg Nicotine content.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

This is why more interested people should sign the petition going around concerning the new legislation being proposed concerning vaping here in the United States.

Don't know what you got being proposed over there but here in Europe we have the Tobacco Products directive being introduced in some countries , it's very restrictive and quite nonsensical , Totally Wicked are fighting them in the courts and have a petition running against the bill and to support them.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

Right now the FDA is trying to determine vaping products as tobacco products - when it is no more a tobacco product than a nicotine patch (for those vapers who use nicotine in their e-juice) and less than that even for those vapers who do not use the nicotine at all.

It is helping long term smokers (I for over 30 years!) to quit smoking - where everything else fails. It is way less harmful than smoking, gets people off the very dangerous analog cigarettes, and helps them to step down from the nicotine while keeping that hand to mouth habit fulfilled until one day they might be able to quit even that!

Vaping is by far less dangerous than drugs like Chantix, and more successful with the long term smoking crowd.

We came up with an successful alternative, and are having to fight tooth and nail because of corporations and government who stand to loose our hard earned money.. and it is definitely time to fight back before we loose the only helpful thing we have found!

edit on 20-8-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It sounds like nearly the same thing they are trying to do here... I would link you to the petition but it is against ATS policy to link to petitions. People will just have to google "FDA deeming of Vapor Products as Tobacco Products soon going before congress" if they wish to read more about it in petition format.

As for an article to read on the topic:

“Without action by Congress, the FDA’s proposed regulations threaten to ban 99%-plus of vapor products currently available on the market. This would be a disaster not only for thousands of small businesses, but also public health.

Link

So far, congress has not taken any real action, so there is a petition going around as well here.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
good that vaping might cease to be considered harmful. common sense tells anyone that, without any study. so notch 1 up for the vaping community. for myself, i'll stick to actual smoke. i couldn't care less if it's harmful.
what isn't?
edit on R2015th2015-08-20T14:13:38-05:0020150pm2314 by RoScoLaz4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

a carton a week for 30 years... that is how much money I gave big tobacco. (that's a retirement account dude!) I am done giving them my money.

If it hasn't effected your health yet - wouldn't you rather be giving your money to small businesses, American companies operating in America (or the country of your choice!), regular people instead of a large conglomerate?

I am tired of some of these huge corporations that are so big that they have governmental influence and drive out thriving small business - aren't you?

And this is one product that is not more expensive when purchase from the mom and pop store.. its cheaper!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

Study shows that when vaporizers operating at voltage rating of 5V or above, is basically releasing more carcinogens and cancer causing chemicals compared to that of a regular cigarette.

Yeah but that study was done using a freaking clearomizer and the vapor was coming out at like 1200 degrees F. When I use temp control I keep it around 430. It would be a constant dry hit running that kind of atomizer so high. They were burning the cotton, and I doubt it was organic cotton.

I certainly don't think they're 100% safe, that's not the point. I think they are FAR safer than a regular cigarette, and a very good way for people to wean off entirely.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
95% so they ARE still harmful and so should be banned from public places like cigarettes are. I can't stand all the types walking around in indoor public areas vaping. Sure its legal but not exactly socially acceptable. That 5% of harm, keep it to yourself (the types who still smoke won't though).
edit on 20-8-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Ok let's be logical then.

The ONLY unknown with ecigs is the inhalation of food flavorings. Some are not good, and the ecig community has been proactive in eliminating as many harmful substances as possible. No one in the industry wins when the FDA bans them or makes it big pharma controlled.

So, we know diacetyl causes a lung disease. It's an artificial butter flavor. The guy who sued kroger inhaled 2 bags of popcorn steam for 10-12 years. Do that math.

Then say someone inhales from their ecig 100x/day X the 8 years they've been around. Hell, do 100 puffs X 5 years.

I think you'll see that with the amount people are inhaling, we surely would be aware of any major issues by now.

Also, google:

*Peering Through the Mist
*Ultimate list of ecig studies
*Nicotine maoi inhibition (nic is not highly addictive)
*ecigarette-politics.com (great info) vapers and skeptics alike should check it out.

Sorry don't have time to post the links myself. Oh and people, other compounds are created when you heat the ingredients. There are probably 50 or so that you inhale.
edit on 20-8-2015 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Exactly. The studies that the FDA and fearmongers use are worthless. Basically they didn't use the device right and let it get too hot (for those who believe ecigs are more dangerous than smoking lol)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Professor Michael Russell wrote in the British Medical Journal in 1976: "People smoke for nicotine but they die from the tar" so vaping is a lot safer than its tar cousin without a doubt. The real issue is freedom of choice. Will governments again side with minority groups funded by the nicotine industry to try tax vaping out of existence.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join