It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

You haven't been following ecig politics for the past few years. I'm telling you, big tobacco hates ecigs and did their best to have them banned. The ecig industry is much more than blu and vuse. It's not a billion dollar industry because of BT. You're right they do want control of the market though. Anyways have a great day

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

When I say they are proven to be less harmful than cigarettes I mean it. Every single study by every single government and health industry states they are much LESS harmful than cigarettes..

No one states that they are as harmful.. anywhere. Quoting possible harm is not saying 'as harmful as'.. you are confusing the two things.. e-cigarettes are so much less harmful than smoking analog cigarettes that countries who have dealt with the e-cigarette industry longer are talking about making e-cigarettes available through national health care programs for the people who need it..

since I started vaping, I no longer spend the first 30 minutes of my day hacking up a lung. I can breathe, go for walks and hikes without feeling like I am going to die. I am healthier. I didn't get pneumonia this year - for the first time in years.

bunk articles going for the most hits possible are not studies. They are income generators. Find the truth in reputable places.

For goodness sake there are two people in this thread whose personal doctors recommended it. They don't do that for no reason, and they would never do that if it was as harmful as smoking.
edit on 21-8-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BanTv
a reply to: Thecakeisalie
No one is looking down on smokers, friend.

Also, smoking is just one delivery method for nicotine. You're right though, there is smoking and there's not smoking. We aren't smoking.

In twenty years from now kids could be vaping under the bleachers-because it's the cool thing to do.

It took decades for the adverse affects of smoking to be realized, the same could happen to vaping decades in the future. Clean air is underrated.
edit on 21-8-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

You assume tabacco companies (one of the richest groups of countries in the universe) are not in on the game?

If they've got any sense they will be , the end for tobacco is nigh.
The only way they are in the game is in the disposable sealed unit cartomisers sold to beginners for the cigalikes.

The competition is fierce in the hardware department and is dominated by China , there are many small and large juice companies that make their product from locally sourced materials , non that I'm aware of are owned by big tobacco.
Juice is a wonderful thing in that you can mix you own if you choose so no one need be tied to any company or brand.

The only way tobacco company's will get a foothold is if the proposed directives are fully implemented and choice is removed from the market.

edit on 21-8-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

So what? Did you miss the part where nicotine by itself is not highly addictive? That means if teens experiment with ecigs to be "cool" or something, they are still free to quit whenever they want. Or put another way, that's not an automatic death sentence. Most of us didn't have that luxury with cigarettes.

I think you're assuming "we don't know what's in them!!!". They know what we're inhaling. Some of us know what we're inhaling. If there was something that really stood out as dangerous, you can bet your ass the anti-tobacco crowd, BT, BP, and the gov would be all over it. Yeah there are a few trace amounts of not so good things. There are trace amounts of formaldehyde in the air too, and we also exhale formaldehyde.
edit on 21-8-2015 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BanTv

So what? Did you miss the part where nicotine by itself is not highly addictive?

Bull #e.

Nicotine is highly addictive and you can still crave for a cigarette years after you quit-any smoker will attest to that.

I relapsed 18 months after a gave up the first time- all it took was the spark of a lighter.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
To me, it's just a fad.

Everyone wants to look cool using the newest futuristic gadget.

And no, the people at my place of employment have NOT been told they have to vape with the smokers. (I'm part of management myself) I see the odd one here or there vape in the nearby alley, on a park bench across the street, or right on the sidewalk. No one ever has told them not to, and management hasn't had any complaints about these people who vape.

Yet there continue to be a cadre of vape users who, after switching to elaborate and expensive vape "rigs" continue to sit inside the smoking shack and belittle the smokers offhandedly.

I'm not opposed to the technology, and I'm not opposed to people doing it -- I hate the subculture and the superiority that the people who vape seem to have.

I even will admit that I buy disposable vape pens at the gas station when I use rental cars.

It certainly can't be any worse for your health, but I do know that vapor hurts my lungs much more than cigarette smoke. I feel like I chain smoked an entire pack from every vape unit (from cheap to $100 rigs) I've tried. I have no idea how those vape people develop leather lungs if it's just water.

We get it -- it's cool, futuristic and hip...just please don't talk down to me in a condescending way, and don't try and recruit into your cult unless I inquire first!
edit on 21-8-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Ok here's the part where I actually know what I'm talking about...

Nicotine by itself is NOT highly addictive. There are other compounds in tobacco that make nicotine extremely addictive. They work together. Don't take my word for it though...

journal of neuroscience

Yes, SMOKING rewires your brain and when you quit you also have lower dopamine levels than you should. That is why it's so hard for people to quit. That is why someone could be in prison for 20 years and the first thing they do is buy smokes. It changes your brain for LIFE. Especially if you started before your brain was fully developed. So why suffer? I'd rather be happy and healthy

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Eh...from my bit of research here and there over the years it's more the chemicals and additives they spray onto the tobacco that cause health issues and addiction problems.

Native Americans used tobacco for a long, long time. Granted, their strain of tobacco plant was different than the commercial plant that is grown today -- in fact, it's actually stronger.

I can't smoke a Marlboro or Camel -- all I taste are chemicals. The big brands don't smell or taste anything like tobacco, in fact I detect smells of sulfur and ammonia in their products. No thanks.

I do find it interesting that people who smoke cigars, and cigars ONLY have very few health-related issues from them.

Also, nasal snuff made from tobacco has never produced a case of cancer. It makes me think that tobacco itself isn't what's harmful -- but it's what the the big companies are doing to the tobacco in cigarettes that's more to blame.

Sidenote: nasal snuff isn't that fun. People assumed I had a hard drug problem when they saw me sniff stuff up my nose. I had to explain it was tobacco to a lot of people...

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wont reiterate what others just said..

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
m

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Hey I completely understand where you're coming from. There are definitely different demographics of vapers. For many it does turn into a hobby of sorts, and I can see where others are like "wtf".

In regards to harsh ecigs, I know what you mean too. I got a free vuse at the bar and could immediately identify a burning taste. I took it apart when I got home and for some reason, the coil and wick was already gunked up and charred. That normally takes a few days to happen. Without going into a lot of detail, with a fresh coil and wick, nicotine level you like (too high % can be harsh), and a ratio of ingredients you like, it can be very smooth and not hurt your lungs. I mention the ratio of infredients because a higher propylene glycol % makes for a bigger "throat hit". Basically they're trying to make it a little bit harsh so you feel the inhale, like with a cig. You can also get juice or make it where there is no throat hit at all.

My point to all that is really this, big tobacco sucks and their cig sized devices suck. If anything is not healthy, it's surely having a heating element encased in thin plastic and then inhaling it.

I have an all stainless steel tank, homemade coil and wick, and surgical grade stainless mouthpiece. The reason we get so excited about all this is mainly because the cig sized devices suck and we tailor our device to our needs. Some people are allergic to PG too. My goal is to be as healthy as possible while still enjoying a vice. That's why I make my own unflavored juice, anal about no plastic device, etc. I'm sure I didn't do a great job explaining all this, but I hope it gives you a little insight into why it's a big deal to us. We thought we would never be able to quit. Many of us tried countless times and failed. Now anyone can quit pretty easily. No one has to die from smoking cigarettes anymore...it's amazing to those of us who were hopelessly addicted (and super weak apparently)

Edit: you're right about all the added chemicals, but there are still a lot of carcinogens in cig smoke.

As far as recruiting, my appologies for being condecending. I just hope one day you make the switch, for your health and those who love you. That's the only reason, not because it's cool. Like I said before too, swedish snus is almost as safe and gives you that buzz

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I'm not opposed to the technology, and I'm not opposed to people doing it -- I hate the subculture and the superiority that the people who vape seem to have.
!

As you might have read in my other post I vape. I vape in my home with my wife. I vape on my porch. I vape while walking.

I not against vaping, I'm against those dipsh*** cloudchasers.(not vaping for taste just trying to get the biggest cloud because well "its so cooool" in Eric Cartmans voice). I'm against the ones who think it's ok to vape in stores, the ones who blow it in peoples faces. Those bungholes give the rest of us vape users a bad name.

On the lighter side here are some vids of vape users making fun of vape users

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that all the guys that used to sell those 3-D posters, then started selling sunglasses now have opened up vape stores? It's like the new thing, if your last kiosk at the mall failed -- give this one a try!

There's a new vape store in every seedy strip mall these days, and vape kiosks in the mall are popping up left and right, replacing the hand cream and sunglasses...same people working the kiosks, but now they're hawking vapor gear.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

must be your area.. my area it was all those jobless health fanatic hippy types (since we are stereo typing and all..) suddenly starting their own businesses and doing pretty well at it. Spouting all that hype about how much better it is than smoking, having studies and doctors backing them up..

craziness I tell you!

- PS.

I said health fanatics because they are the same one's always preaching non-gmo to you! And jobless because those are the guys your daddy would see and say "He needs a job!" hahaha

But seriously, that is who started the first vape shop in my area.. he was the guy you couldn't run into with getting into some lengthy conversation about the evils of Monsanto.. he was so happy when he opened that shop! And just as excited to talk about it as he was to talk about the evils of genetically modified foods!

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Quit cigs a year and a half ago, after smoking for 23 years, i can breathe now properly, yes i was stupid to smoke, but there you go.

Vaping has saved my life, and will save millions of other lives too.

Nicotine is found in all sorts of things, not just cigs, and you can vape zero nic too.

Its in tomatoes and eggplants.

Ok so more research needs to be done, mainly on the flavourings that go into the juice, but im all for vaping.

Fact: big tobacoo companies thought it would be just a fad, its kicked them up the arse, and they didnt think it would take off, now they are running scared, and doing all they can to stigmatize it, then reinvent it to capitalise off it, and corner the market.

The fact we have the tpd kicking in may next year here in the UK started a wave of new tanks and technology in regards to vaping, and people, including me are spending more on these mods and tanks/drippers than we ever did on cigs.

I love it, its like a hobby now, cigs was never like that.

My doctor has seen a vast improvement in my lung function, and i dont need my asthma medication anymore.

I could go on, i do a lot of this kind of debating on some big fb groups about this topic.

Deny Ignorance is definitely a must on this topic, as too many people are quick to judge and believe the media BS about the scaremongering on vaping issues.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

So?

I mean really, so what if it is just a fad?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm 57 yrs old. I quit a 2 pack a day tobacco habit & started vaping. From day 1 I've never wanted for a cigarette. I started out using the highest nicotine level & I'm down to 3 mg in 13 mos. My goal is to be vape free in 5 mos from now. That's a total of 18 mos of vaping to quit smoking. Mr doctor is thrilled. She actually recommends vaping to her patients. There's still not enough info available. Studies are in progress. But I do know one thing with certainty. It couldn't be any worse than tobacco. I'll take my chances. I've never felt better. My smoker cough went away almost immediately. My lungs are clear. I have the blood pressure of a 20 yr old. I don't have a scratchy irritated throat. Maybe that's because I only vape the same 2 premium juices that I started out using. You have to know your juices, change your coils regularly & keep your equipment clean. By doing this you'll never inhale anything burnt. I now have a keen sense of smell & taste. My skin looks 10 yrs younger. My hair & clothing smell clean & fresh. No ugly yellowed nails. I haven't gained a pound. I used to dread climbing stairs. Now I race up the steps smiling all the way. Even though I vape premium juice & use higher end equipment the cost is a fraction of the cost of cigarettes. As far as children vaping. That's a topic that I can't concern myself with. I look at that as only eating certain foods because a child might pick up bad eating habits. I have grandchildren. I care deeply about the welfare of children. I never considered individuals habits as having a negative affect on my children. I do hate Big Tobacco & other societal & environmental detriments that negatively affect our children. I have a clear conscience with vaping. And the bottom line, with me at my age, is I started vaping to literally save my life. I hope I've added many years to my life. But like everyone else I'm waiting to see some long term vaping studies. By then I'll be vape free. And I guarantee you much healthier.
edit on 21-8-2015 by fancypantslove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

So what? Did you miss the part where nicotine by itself is not highly addictive?

Bull #e.

Nicotine is highly addictive and you can still crave for a cigarette years after you quit-any smoker will attest to that.

I relapsed 18 months after a gave up the first time- all it took was the spark of a lighter.

What you described sounds like addictive personality.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Everyone wants to look cool using the newest futuristic gadget.

I think I look like a jackass when I vape. I'm pretty embarrassed by most of the "culture". While I certainly enjoy my Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System, I know I look silly sucking on it.

There are douchebags in every group. They also are typically the most visible. I would vape around the smokers, because I would rather have someone to chat with and respect that people who do neither don't want to be around it. I blow my vapor away from people, I don't make a big show of it, and I don't try to convert people unless they seem interested. It seems a little odd that smokers get sort of ostracized and then want to do the same to people vaping.

If it hurts your lungs, perhaps you have an allergy or something. It's always been far easier on my lungs than regular cigarettes. I certainly don't look down on anyone who smokes, I have for half my life. It's also not my place to try and recruit. If someone is interested or tells me they had a negative experience and seems open, I want to help them avoid all the mistakes I've made and have a good experience. It's not complicated, but if you haven't read up on it vaping is a bit overwhelming when trying to find the right fit.

When I started I thought it was ridiculous that people would spend over $100 for a set up, have to charge batteries externally, rebuild their coils and all that. Now I love all the options because I can tailor everything to give me the most satisfying experience. I like to tinker with stuff, so it's become almost a hobby.

Now listen brah, go buy a Kanger Sub Box, try some max VG juice (you may have a PG allergy) and quit the "analogs"!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join