It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This just in, water is wet!

Vaping is safer than smoking and could lead to the demise of the traditional cigarette, Public Health England (PHE) has said in the first official recognition that e-cigarettes are less damaging to health than smoking tobacco.

The health body concluded that, on “the best estimate so far”, e-cigarettes are about 95% less harmful than tobacco cigarettes and could one day be dispensed as a licensed medicine in an alternative to anti-smoking products such as patches.

An expert independent evidence review published today by Public Health England (PHE) concludes that e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful to health than tobacco and have the potential to help smokers quit smoking.

Key findings of the review include:

-the current best estimate is that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking
-nearly half the population (44.8%) don’t realise e-cigarettes are much less harmful than smoking
-there is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers

I'm actually having a little trouble finding how they got that 95% number, but I certainly think they are a much safer alternative. The thing I'm most excited about here is that now we have a govt. group promoting the devices. For the record, I am currently using e-cigs, and it's helped me go from at least a pack a day down to MAYBE one cigarette in the morning.

Vapor has but a few ingredients. Propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine (about as dangerous as a cup of coffee) and whatever flavor agents.

I have seen a TON of misinformation spread around about vaping, and have heard from people that I consider rather intelligent that it's worse than cigarettes. One of the things I've heard time and again is that it will cause pneumonia because of water in the lungs. Pfft.

It also provides reassurance that very few adults and young people who have never smoked are becoming regular e-cigarette users (less than 1% in each group).

The people screaming "Think of the children!" need to calm down. Someone that is prone to take up smoking is going to be prone to vaping. It's not a gateway to smoking real cigarettes. Risky behavior is a sign of risk taking... Cigarettes taste disgusting after switching to vaping, and the number of people who take up vaping without having been a smoker is staggeringly low. Another argument these people use is that the flavors are enticing. Well, yeah. Juice manufacturers are NOT big tobacco. They're small operations, and they aren't marketing to children. Adults like sweet flavors too. So why no outrage over flavored vodkas?

A few points I want to touch on

-the kind of "cigalike" you buy at a gas station is NOT the same as a proper vape set up

-Big Tobacco isn't even in the picture when you get away from the crappy gas station type

-The majority of juice companies are very small operations

-The hardware isn't produced by big tobacco

-Vape shops are not owned by big tobacco

-Vaping can save you a TON of money. You can make your own juice, but even if you don't go that route it is very easy to cut costs significantly

-It is very easy to step down the nicotine level in juice, until you get all the way down to 0 and then quit

-Many of the studies that claim vaping is dangerous are performed terribly, and the tests use the devices at temperatures no human could stand

-One of the hardest things about smoking cessation is breaking yourself of the habit, vaping gives you the habit and ability to wean yourself

-The poor and minorities are most affected by smoking. Vaping offers a cheap, effective solution

-Think about how much money big tobacco brings in for the govt. and realize this may affect policy

-It has been suggested that the terrible Big Tobacco e-cigs that people typically try first are a scam to keep people hooked on the real thing

-Local govts. imposing ridiculous taxes (I've seen up to 90% suggested) are doing themselves a HUGE disservice. It's keeping people from a very effective, low cost way to quit, increasing cost of healthcare and and dissuading the poor from trying that very effective cessation method. These people may be paying $300 a month for cigarettes, when they could be paying $50 (Or way less) to vape, which very easily can turn into quitting. These taxes also discourage local business, because pretty much all juice manufacturers, vape shops etc. are small and locally owned and will change location if they are forced to.

I had a conversation with my doctor about the switch, and he was actually pretty excited when I answered some of his questions. He didn't know much about it, but said he would have been amazed if it was anywhere near as dangerous, and thought the ability to slowly wean off nicotine without having to make a drastic change to habits was awesome. I had somewhat high blood pressure on my last visit, and it had swung back to the better end of the acceptable spectrum (drastically) in three months.

I have spent a TON on vaping, but you don't have to. It's turned into a sort of hobby for me, and I always want to try the newest and best. I've still managed to save money, and I wasn't trying. I smell good all the time, my taste and sense of smell are returning, I don't get winded nearly as quickly, I can vape in my house and it just makes it smell sweet, my skin looks better, I don't have a cough anymore, I much prefer the taste, I'm not paying Big Tobacco, and it's FUN building coils (you don't have to, it can also be incredibly simple). I've stepped my nicotine strength down from 24mg to 12mg in a few months, I'm starting to step down to 6mg, soon 3mg, then 0, then stop. I haven't missed smoking, something that wasn't at all true with gums or the patch. This is incredibly similar to smoking, but gives you much more control over your nicotine, and is much safer.

Do I think it's 100% safe? Not at all. Of course it isn't. I do however think it is far safer than cigs, and it's the only thing I've tried (and I have tried) that has shown real results. No one should take up vaping unless they're trying to quit cigarettes, I don't get the people that do. I realize there are a lot of "vapeholes" out there that blow clouds in public places. The majority of us treat it like smoking. We go outside and are aware others don't want to be covered in the vapor.

That turned into a bit of a rant. I'm just excited because vaping has been such a pleasurable and effective way for me to wean off cigarettes. At first I was puffing the thing all the time, now I've cut the nicotine, and cut the amount I vape significantly. If you want to quit, give it a try. Realize that the cheap stuff isn't going to be effective, but you don't have to break the bank to start, and that you will be saving a TON if you want to.

So glad to see a govt. agency (even if it's not mine) become more accepting. I really hope this trend continues. There is a ton of pending legislation about this issue right now. The only things I'm on board with are more transparency and child proof bottles. I have yet to run across a juice company that doesn't use child proof bottles, and many are very open with what's in the juice, even having it tested by independent labs.

Link
edit on 1920150820151 by Domo1 because: My linking skills failed me

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

LOL'

could one day be dispensed as a licensed medicine in an alternative to anti-smoking products such as patches.

I can guarantee they will try to tax the living hell out of it or as mentioned "make it a licensed medicine" now that it is becoming popular.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
I can guarantee they will try to tax the living hell out of it or as mentioned "make it a licensed medicine" now that it is becoming popular.

Speaking of which..

Thanks to corrupt politicians lead by Mark Leno who is in the pockets of big pharma, vaping will now be categorized as a tobacco product in California.

Unless some miracle is to happen, SBX2 5 will pass, pending a final vote. The state which is home to the majority of leading e-liquid brands, mod manufacturers, and has the highest concentration of vape shops. Will now have to operate in a heavily regulated environment. In a state treats vaping the same as smoking a cigarette.

vapeaboutit.com...

edit on 8/19/2015 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Recently just gave up cigarettes for vaping. Took some getting use too, but not smelling like tobacco or dealing with lighters and ashes is a plus.

The dude where I buy my juice, or the flavored oil, told me here in Ohio that throughout 2014 tobacco lost 10% revenue due too vaping. Now he said big tobacco companies are try to force them to buy a million dollar piece of equipment that measures and puts the amounts of nicotine into the product rather than their method of adding it.

In essence, they're already trying to shut out the little guy. He said sometime in the next couple of months they'll know for sure if they have to close the doors.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Sure, until 10 years from now and they find out that the vapors cause cancer too.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

According to today you farting the wrong way can cause cancer.. Everything one does in life smoker or non they all have a VERY high chance of getting cancer.. So I am thinking vaping will or should be the least of thier worries..

Also fun fact there was a study that showed 99 hits from a ecig compared to cigs while looking for carcinogens they only found a slight PG and nic after the vape of 99 hits..

Your turn.

2013 study reported in Tobacco Control, for example, looked at a dozen e-cigarette brands available in Poland and found that "the levels of potentially toxic compounds in e-cigarette vapour are 9–450-fold lower than those in the smoke from conventional cigarettes, and in many cases comparable with the trace amounts present in pharmaceutical preparations [of nicotine]." A new study of leading American and British brands, reported in Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, confirms this point, finding that the levels of potentially problematic substances in e-cigarette aerosol are about the same as those detected in ambient air.

reason.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Robot cigarettes are still cigarettes.
Everything in moderation, peeps.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I vape constantly and havent looked back. I literally went from a pack a day down to 3 over night . I still smoke however but not nearly as much as i used to.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Flat wrong.. proof?
You can give the formaldehyde gig? thats always a treat..
Or the kid that died from drinking his parents ejiuce.. no?
Or maybe the long term effects?? Ya?? what?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

We know the affects of the ingredients.

I actually take that back. Some have stuff we're not sure about being inhaled but is fine to eat.
edit on 1920150820151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

We know the affects of the ingredients.

And to add to his point.. IF we really wanted we can get the ingredients in what we are vaping..
Hell even a company gives what they add to thier ejuice.. So there is that..

www.opensourcevapor.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Nicotine is still a highly addictive drug and about as addictive as heroine.

So says a US Surgeon General, not me inventing that statement. And I dont disagree.

It is too bad the vast majority of new vape users are underage children.
edit on 19-8-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Sure, until 10 years from now and they find out that the vapors cause cancer too.

Vapours can cause cancer? Seriously? You better not go outside...

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

So says a US Surgeon General, not me inventing that statement. And I dont disagree.

Nicotine or nicotine in cigarettes? The reason I offer a distinction is the thousands of chemicals found in cigarettes when they are burned, including benzene.

E-Cigs on the other hand have shown a couple in trace amounts, most of them not even harmful in large amounts.

The difference here is the chemicals have an effect on the brain as well.

When I switched to vaping I couldn't believe the difference when going without a vape, not like going without a cigarette. Sure there is some noticeable effects, like any withdrawal. But not quite that urgent gross feeling one gets with regular tobacco withdrawal.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I get so tired of people trotting out incorrect facts, fear tactics, and just plain ignorance trying to scream down the vape industry and the good it is doing in the smoking community.

I'm a little over two years cigarette free thanks to vaping. I had a two pack a day habit for over 20 years. I will never give big tobacco another dime. Those who vape don't really need scientific backup to tell them vaping is far better for your health than cigarettes. Our bodies tell us that every day in any number of ways.

Like you... This has become somewhat of a hobby for me at this point. Tanks and mods, mods and tanks, yet I'm still saving money and I feel better than I did a decade ago.

One can only hope that big tobacco continues to lose money and eventually falls all together because people started refusing to pay to be made sick.

Even if the numbers said it was 5% healthier... It's still healthier. 95% isn't shocking to me but I'm damn glad to see it nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

We make our own. We know what's in it.

Switched over two years ago now...picked up a vape and never looked back. Just like that. No desire to ever smoke another analog cigarette again. and I can breathe again. Even weaned the nicotine down to a trace (3mg) pretty quickly and sometimes vape 0mg and can go 12 hours without a hit. My doc's pretty happy too.

The real trouble for me started when they added the carpet glue that prevented fires (that FSC stuff). It tore my lungs UP.

Nicotine, while poisonous in heavy concentration, itself isn't all that bad either in the right doses, but vaping makes it easier to get off all the other thousands of chemicals/chemical combinations that are the truly addictive parts of an analog cigarette.

But for me, I think it was always more the ritual of getting away or doing something while thinking or driving than the actual addiction. Otherwise why would it be so easy to get off it? For me anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

All 3 of these statements are wrong..

The vast majority of people vaping.. Real vaping with a box and RDA type not that stupid ecig crap at a gas station.. are people who went from smoking to vaping to kill smoking.. You know the bitch of this is?? That is right.. Most people who have smoked and went to vaping quit smoking straight out.. I did and as a few on here already stated did the same..

The amount of kids vaping is about the same as the ones who start smoking.. Not significant really.. I would rather them vape than smoke however because Vaping is less deadly than a cigarette.

Nic being addictive.. I disagree with this.. There are studies to back this up.. The reason that nic in cigs are addictive is because of the other drugs that they have in cigs to basically do a straight shot for you when you hit a cig.. You are right it is basically like heroin.. No joke there..

Also on the topic of nic.. They are using it to help people with Alzheimer's disease and other conditions also..

a reply to: ~Lucidity

I wanna make my own also.. I will be getting ahold of you soon..

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

1 year ago I was smoking a pack and a half to two packs a day depending on stress of filtered cigars. I was prone to bronchitis which I had never had before in my life. I went to vaping, I have in that time with a vape pen ( not one of those cigg looking things they never worked for me) not only cut out my cigg/cigar use totally but went from 18mg liquid for my vaper to 6 currently and I will be going down another two when I buy more liquid. Speaking from experience. I am breathing easier. MUCH easier. No more nasty smell. I still treat it like I would have a cigg ie: I vape outside , I try not to get the vapor in peoples face , but I will say it has been only a boon to me and my family.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I tried vaping but it clogged me up and I kept burning the filaments and inhaling whatever it's made of. Scratchy throat never went away until I quit.

My aunt a smoker for 30+ years tried it first day had a panic attack we thought she was a goner almost called ambulance.

Do these studies account for the inevitable filament decay lining your throat as it disintegrates or do they use fresh ones before it starts getting bad? Do people wait until the burnt taste to switch them out or have a proactive system to it?

All I know is in about a decade of smoking on and off never was addicted wanting to keep puffing all freaking day until got the eciggs. Had a bit of insomnia during that time period as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Some people are sensitive to the VG in the juice, which is typically 50-50 PG-VG (propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin). You can make or have most places make your juice with different concentrations of PG-VG to see if that helps. The e-cig forum is a wealth of information on vaping and is very worth hanging out in for while.

I don't worry a lot about filament decay or plastics as I use 100% pure cotton in my coils and only glass tanks. None of that crap filament or plastic stuff, especially not from China.
edit on 8/19/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join