It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canadian Food Inspection Agency says suspected case of mad cow detected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has reported that it has detected another case of mad cow disease within Canadian herds. This revelation came on the heels of a U.S. decision to reopen its borders to Canadian beef. Few details are available but sources identify the animal in question as a 10 year old dairy cow.

story.news.yahoo.com
OTTAWA (CP) - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it has detected what may be another case of mad cow disease, a potentially devastating hit to an already struggling Canadian beef industry.

The disclosure of the suspect case early Thursday came just hours after the United States announced sweeping plans for the reopening its border in March to nearly all Canadian exports of beef and live cattle. The border was closed 19 months ago when a cow in northern Alberta tested positive for mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).

The CFIA released few details on the new suspect case, except to identify it as a 10-year-old dairy cow.

The preliminary testing results were completed on Wednesday, said the agency, adding that the testing was conducted after the cow was identified as a "downer" - unable to walk.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This may close the borders again to Canadian beef imports. The market was worth more than $1.8 billion in 2002 and has fallen to nothing since the ban. I do give kudos top the Canadians for releasing the information so quickly. The case still needs to be confirmed but they should put a hold on any imports till they can rule it out.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Why in the world are we getting beef from Canada? What is this...the second time and report that they have a confirmed case of Mad Cow? The Argriculture Dept. here in the U.S. is way underfunded and overextenend not to mention they do not have the empolyees to get the job done right. Why even have an Ag. Dept. if we are not going to put the manpower and proper funding in place.? We must let the Canadian beef go untill they get their house in order and ensure that their herds are free from this BSE. I don't know about 'yall but I enjoy a nice thick ribeye every now and then but every time I hear of a case like this, it makes it hard for me to eat one.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Canada has one of the worlds finest levels of beef control. Canadian grade C beef is equivent in quality to American Grade A beef. Canada very closely regulates their cattle, more so than the U.S., In fact the FDA(American) and Argriculture Dept. is about 15 years behind Canada in "mad cow" monitoring practice. The reason that there has been so many cases of mad cow in Canada(2 cases!) is because of Canada's modern system. I'm certain if the U.S. were to adopt such strict monitoring of her cattles health they would also find many more cases of "Mad Cow". I feel 10x safer eating good old Albertain beef than any sub standard U.S. beef on the market.

Deny Ignorance FLYIN HIGH

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, I agree that our system is a bit more developed then the USA's but we wouldn't need it if we didn't make these animals into cannibals(hey that rhymed
). I eat beef alot, allthough I always get it from local sources where I can actually visit the farm and see how they keep the animals(and I have done that, the place I get the majority of my meat is called Rowe Farms, not organic but very close, they still give thier livestock antibiotics as its nessesary according to them but the Feed is all vegan organic stuff which is my primary concern)

So basically all we gotta do to make sure Mad Cow doesn't become a problem is to ban animal parts in animal feed. Thats how it spreads folks.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i seen a show on rendering meat that goes back in the food chain.they recycle all the other parts of cow and use it in cattle feed, meal and in packaging of pills and others types of uses.the only country in the world that has the best meat is japan they dispose there rendered meat parts and i think we should here also.japan also checks evey cow we dont in north america or any other country for that matter.this whole cow problem could be solved by spending the money on more testing and better food chain practices.unfortunatly companies who process the food think we are what we eat and dont care about us.after i watched this show it makes me even wonder why i trust the food stores at all for good food sources.flukemol........

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
flukemol, find a Farmers market if you can. They are great, we got one in Toronto called the St. Lawrence market and the Farmers come down every saturday to sell thier wares directly to the consumers no middle men. They even give the address to thier farm if you want to buy stuff during the week. Fresh Milk is da bomb.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well said Corropolis! Sardion, you make a good point too!
I guess the cow was a dairy cow, and had nothing to do with the food chain at all, so I doubt that this will effect the planned March 7/05 date to open the borders to Canadian beef.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
One thing as some mebers have pointed out, EVRY part of the cow is used. I have the misfortune of working a few months in a meat packing plant and i can tell you that nothing goes to waste.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
One thing as some mebers have pointed out, EVRY part of the cow is used. I have the misfortune of working a few months in a meat packing plant and i can tell you that nothing goes to waste.

That is fricken nasty man. I think I'm gonna be buying Rowe Farms meat exclusively from now on. Even the bones?? ...... At least they aren't recycled into Mickey D's Big Macs as has long been rumored.

new topics

top topics

join