It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear "Religious" Anti-Gay Parents - What if your child turns out to be LBGT+?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is inane. You guys just WANT to bitch at each other don't you? The topic, long gone. My previous post is confirmed. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Point taken Intrepid
edit on 20-8-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Some just aren't worth the trouble.

Never mind.
edit on 20-8-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I was raised in the church and now only subscribe to "do unto others as they would have them do unto you"
But to call your self a Christian and pick and choose from the holy word reeks of hypocrisy.

Show me one person who really lives by the Bible, but many do call themselves Christians? I'd say there is not a single person on this planet. There is also that little pesky problem of translation and interpretation. There is even a school of Christian Apologists!? That should tell you volumes about the problems of that text …

And for the record: this is not exclusively about Christians. I have the same reservations for all other religions that supposedly teach "love", but keep people in perpetual fear. If you love somebody you got to set them free.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
This is inane. You guys just WANT to bitch at each other don't you? The topic, long gone. My previous post is confirmed. Thanks.

I disagree. The topic is very deep and allows multiple streams of interpretation.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

originally posted by: olaru12
I was raised in the church and now only subscribe to "do unto others as they would have them do unto you"
But to call your self a Christian and pick and choose from the holy word reeks of hypocrisy.

Show me one person who really lives by the Bible, but many do call themselves Christians? I'd say there is not a single person on this planet. There is also that little pesky problem of translation and interpretation.

Indeed - the issue many have is with people who say the bible is the inerrant word of god and then don't even try to live it - they cherry pick the bits that they want and gloss over het bits they don't.

pointing this out in common-day language gets their backs up of course........

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I disagree. The topic is very deep and allows multiple streams of interpretation.

Well that sounds "biblical".

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So we're either bad Christians because we don't obey the entire bible

or

We're bad people because we obey the entire bible.

I "lol" at everyone, on the floor. Rolling.

It is always a sign of lack of good arguments when one has to distort criticism. But I have a feeling that you know exactly what we are getting at … ;-)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

So, I'm on topic ;-)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

So, I'm on topic ;-)

My pointing out that you aren't is closer to the topic.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

So you didn't read the entire thread?

Noted.

I'm not spoon feeding you because you won't go read. If you don't see anything worth noting, so be it.

I suspect you're being lazy and arguing for the sake of arguing.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I wasn't arguing at all - I asked for your supporting evidence - who knows - I might have agreed with it - if you do a search of "Aloysius fair enough" you will find me saying that a few times where it is warranted!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

So, I'm on topic ;-)

My pointing out that you aren't is closer to the topic.

You know opinions are like …

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I don't have kids, so I've got no business answering the question. (I also don't hate gays but I expect I fall close enough to the stereotype to participate in this thread
)

But I think, *from where I sit,* that there's no good reason to disown or otherwise cut off your children for any reason unless it is actually likely to make a positive difference in their lives. For example, I've heard (maybe incorrectly) that Robert Downey Jr.'s dad cut him off when he was in the middle of his drug problems and asked his dad for help, and his father refused to help him. I guess he didn't want to incentivize his drug usage. Long story short, that helped RDJ turn his life and career around, for which we should all be thankful. Aside from limited circumstances like that, though, disowning your kid seems to be more hurtful than helpful.

But I have limited experience with this sort of thing. Views liable to change when my experience is more comprehensive.

Legitimate question for the OP: what if you kids ended up becoming one of these anti-gay Christians you're writing about?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Man. If anyone asks why I'm agnostic, this would be an excellent example. The belief in something and the belief in nothing are insane. Logic left a LONG time ago. If that doesn't sit well with theists and atheists I think I'm probably hitting it close to the truth.

And yet you are an atheist.........that is unless you believe in a god?

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: StalkerSolent

Legitimate question for the OP: what if you kids ended up becoming one of these anti-gay Christians you're writing about?

My kids are adults. They are neither Christians nor anti-gay.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: StalkerSolent

That's a different kind of question, though. You choose to be an anti-gay Christian; you don't choose your sexual orientation. Would I try to keep my kids from making bad choices? Yeah. Would I try to change their sexual orientation? No.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

And yet you are an atheist.........that is unless you believe in a god?

Since when is the term "agnostic" synonymous with "atheist"? Read:

Man. If anyone asks why I'm agnostic, this would be an excellent example. T

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: StalkerSolent

My kids are adults. They are neither Christians nor anti-gay.

It's hypothetical, tho, so you can answer it regardless!

And unlike me, you're actually experienced in having kids! All the better.

posted on Aug, 21 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: StalkerSolent

That's a different kind of question, though. You choose to be an anti-gay Christian; you don't choose your sexual orientation.

There are homosexuals who would disagree with you on the last bit, and probably religious folks who would disagree on the first.

Would I try to keep my kids from making bad choices? Yeah. Would I try to change their sexual orientation? No.

There are some Christians who think homosexual conduct is wrong and who don't necessarily try to change the orientation of people who are homosexual Christians. The same is true of other religions, I imagine.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join