It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear "Religious" Anti-Gay Parents - What if your child turns out to be LBGT+?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
a reply to: arpgme

I don't understand. Are you saying my belief in Jesus does not give me a right to dictate the lives of others? I'm gonna ignore that concept and pretend it doesn't exist.

Good luck with that. But for some reason I think this is only related to the anonymous nature of the internet.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If you love your children (as most do) you love them unconditionally. Doesn't matter if they turn into a drug addict or a murderer, if they are born deformed or if they choose a non-majority sexual preference. And unless the parent is a religious extremist...they would feel no different. But you also hope that your child will have a wonderful, successful and happy life. You wish they have as few challenges as possible and is equipped to endure life and win. You don't hope they become an addict or murderer, you don't hope they are born deformed NOR with a non-majority sexual preference. None of those are needed to make someone happy. You hope they are healthy, happy and normal mentally and physically.

It is not a bad thing if a parent is saddened by something that creates a challenge for their child. It is normal. But you always love and support them. Other people? Screw them.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

I think there are probably some parents who guilt their kids about sexual orientation.

I would also wager that some even abuse their children.

But you don't solve the problem of this type of abuse by making sweeping broad dictates concerning parenting.

What's worse?

A religious parent that doesn't agree with homosexuality?

Or

A parent that uses meth?

There are already agencies in place at schools and in the public assigned to deal with these issues of abuse.

Making a parenting class manditory only adds more useless levels of government and is ripe for it's own abuse.

What happens if you fail a class?

Are you not "allowed" by the state to have children?

(note, this wasn't directed at you, but I simply wanted to continue the conversation)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I don't understand. Are you saying my belief in Jesus does not give me a right to dictate the lives of others? I'm gonna ignore that concept and pretend it doesn't exist.

That's right, it's in the Bible....either the Bible is the infallible word of God or it isn't. You can't have it both ways.
edit on 20-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

That's right, it's in the Bible....either the Bible is the infallible word of God or it isn't. You can't have it both ways.

Oh yes, you can. It's called being a Christian. You cherry-pick what you like and ignore what you don't. It's rather simple.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

Oh yes, you can. It's called being a Christian. You cherry-pick what you like and ignore what you don't. It's rather simple.

Oh really?

Are you familiar with the term "Blasphemy"?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Man. If anyone asks why I'm agnostic, this would be an excellent example. The belief in something and the belief in nothing are insane. Logic left a LONG time ago. If that doesn't sit well with theists and atheists I think I'm probably hitting it close to the truth.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AllIsOne

Oh really?

Are you familiar with the term "Blasphemy"?

Not sure? Is it what the church accused Galileo Galilei of? The truth is not always welcomed. Sometimes even hidden behind a Greek word … ;-)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I was raised in the church and now only subscribe to "do unto others as they would have them do unto you"
But to call your self a Christian and pick and choose from the holy word reeks of hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The Bible is writings of many.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
So we're either bad Christians because we don't obey the entire bible

or

We're bad people because we obey the entire bible.

I "lol" at everyone, on the floor. Rolling.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

or

No, you're just bad because you're Christian.

That has been made abundantly clear by now.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

No - you are bad if you are hypocrites who say the bible is the inerrant word of god and THEN you don't obey all of it.

Plenty of christians accept the bible as a metaphorical guide, not a literal one.

They have no problem.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

or

Really?

Who said that?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

or

Really?

Who said that?

Really? Did you read the previous 13 pages? More than once has somebody tried to shoehorn all Christians into one tiny little box.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

or

Really?

Who said that?

Really? Did you read the previous 13 pages? More than once has somebody tried to shoehorn all Christians into one tiny little box.

Not all of them no - was wondering if you had an obvious example?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

So....in an effort to save yourself from going through all the pages, you want me to do it?

No thanks.

More than one comment was made painting all Christians as bad. Whether that's because they would cut off their child for being gay (strictly following the church dogma) or because they wouldn't cut off their child for being gay (not following the church dogma), or because they wouldn't cut off their child for being gay but believed their child was a sinner.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I am not asking you to through 13 pages - as I said I thought you might be able to highlight one or more that you were aware of.

I can't find anything in the first 6 pages or on this one so far .....

ETA: as a time saving measure I had a look at your posts to see who you might have quoted as saying all christians are bad, and I couldn't find anyone. So I had a look through Buzzy's post to see if she had done so, and couldn't see anything there either.

So if you haven't actually identified anyone who has done so I suspect you are not being entirely factual with your statement.

edit on 20-8-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

No - you are bad if you are hypocrites who say the bible is the inerrant word of god and THEN you don't obey all of it.

Plenty of christians accept the bible as a metaphorical guide, not a literal one.

They have no problem.

So we're all hypocrites, got it.

You atheists are just the coolest!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

They have no problem.

So we're all hypocrites, got it.

Pretty sure I said that not all christians take the bible as the literal truth - oh, yes - so I did......

It is certainly hypocritical to be telling porkies and claiming to be a christian - so I accept your assessment of your self.

You atheists are just the coolest!

Why thank you - but alas you are looking through rose tinted lenses...many atheists are complete dicks IMO - some are even as dishonest and hypocritical as fundy christians...yeah...I know - hard to believe......

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join