It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People & Money, their perceptions... Arghhhhh!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Right, I know I haven't been on here for a while, but Nonspecific is away otherwise this would be directed at him.

Situation: Advert for a BBC One "Britain's Secret Spending" where Ann Robinson (UK TV "Personality") sees how the righ and poor second there money. A 2 second clip of a woman on benefits (Americans, please, this is not a rant about people being on benefits), standing next to an American style Fridge/ Freezer and she says " Just becasue I am on benefits, doesn't mean I can't ahve the nicer things in life"

Rant: I am 28 years old and work for an oil company and on OK, just OK, money. I have just moved into a rented house and for the first time in my life, instead of going secondhand bought or found I have bought a larder fridge. This money I borrowed from the bank of mum and dad on a £15 a week pay back schedule whihc is all I can afford for however long it takes me to pay it back. Without this particualr bank, it would have been secondhand/ found on street jobbie.

What annoys me is that if you on a low income, of course you can't afford the finer things in life! You can do, if you wants to be in debt, and "They" love you to be in debt or you either have to earn more then get them.

A necessity in life is not an American Style Fridge/freezer. Poeple please I know it;s not nice sometimes to say, " I am poor, I cannot afford that" I know it is depressing, been there, still a little bit there, but not as much, but please please get over this got to have this and I ahve got to have that. It will only lead to your downfall.

Either you can afford it or you can't. End of.

Stop judging yourself by what every other person has, and this is hard, believe me, I have the crappiest car in the car park. But it's mine, not leased, not loaned, mine ( Yes I know the DVLA technically own it, but still). One 15 year old Suzuki Igis Vs '15 Plate BMW's & Audi's.

Live within you

edit on 19/8/2015 by MrsNonSpecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Thank you! By all means, live within your means. I've known people that get deep into debt because they have to have the latest and newest whatever it is. Me, I'm lucky if I have $5 at the end of the week. I keep myself on a tight leash because I may want something but it doesn't mean I need it. The trick is knowing the difference.

I see that your OP would have been directed at Mr. Nonspecific himself if he wasn't at work. Why?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Devil's advocacy moment from a Yank perspective:

First off... had to Google "larder fridge", not a term I was familiar with. Seems to equate to what we'd call a "mini fridge" or "dorm fridge".

If not accurate, please let me know!

Now, from personal experience. During my bleakest days, when illness had literally wiped out my savings, my full sized refrigerator was probably the #1 Godsend I had in terms of finance. It enabled me to buy and cook foods in bulk - which is much more cost effective and utility efficient. Without that advantage I may well have starved.

As for the woman's cavalier attitude about "having nice things". Cannot defend that at all. Vanity isn't a requisite of survival and she should know that much.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide
A larder fridge is a standard fridge that doesn't have an ice box. Source

@ MrsNonSpecific
S & F for this thoughtful OP...........

edit on 8192015 by BobbyRock because: needed to be done............

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I have lived on both ends and many points between on the financial spectrum. Through hard work, loans paid, and sacrificing home life, I started and built up my businesses with tremendous effort from my co-workers(I don't call them employees, as I lead by example, and reward their hard work). I lived through my early years traveling by bus, eating Ramen and having lots of roommates, living paycheck to paycheck. I never forget what I had to do to get by, and no matter what profits I can generate, I will not blow money on frivolous shiny baubles, or cars and homes to compete with the Jones'.

Living outside one's means eventually will dig a hole solved by bankruptcy or dire financial repercussions. I vowed I would never put my family at risk, and selfish or shallow fiscal choices would do just that. Finally, no matter how bleak my finances were/are, I made it a point to never use that as an excuse to not pay it forward. I never forgot to donate what little I could afford to those who's plight was worse than mine. If I couldn't donate goods, I would donate time by volunteering at the Food Bank or DVS, the latter I do to this day. I'm not sharing this to puff myself up(this is the net, who am I gonna impress?), but if it spurs anyone else to give of themselves, or think of others, good on ya!

Sorry 'bout the length of this post, but the OP shook a lot that I had bottled up. That's just this Dog's take on the subject.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

Sorry Bobbyrock, still new to the world of forums...

What is S & f? :S

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I see that your OP would have been directed at Mr. Nonspecific himself if he wasn't at work. Why?

It's just one of the things that would lead to a discussion, and he isnt here for me to have it with him. I think in this case we would mainly agree. This is not always the case

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

No worries, I'm semi-new myself.......
Also I didn't know either what a "larder fridge" was, so I had to look it up.

S&F = Star and Flag

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

You should feel very proud from building something up and treating your co-working with respect and equality. Not every company does.

I myself, sadly, due to a serious of unfortunate events, had to declare myself bankrupt for a very meagre amount compared to other claims.

I have learnt the hard way, but now I truly understand the value of money, but I don't put all my values against it. I give a way what little I can. And "Launder" my filthy oil earnt money in charity shops so it will go to do something good.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrsNonSpecific

You should feel very proud from building something up and treating your co-working with respect and equality. Not every company does.

I myself, sadly, due to a serious of unfortunate events, had to declare myself bankrupt for a very meagre amount compared to other claims.

I have learnt the hard way, but now I truly understand the value of money, but I don't put all my values against it. I give a way what little I can. And "Launder" my filthy oil earnt money in charity shops so it will go to do something good.

Brava, Mrs. NS--you get it. Thanks for bringing up the subject matter, and reminding me of what is truly important in life. I wish you luck and good cheer, and hope your future brings happiness and security. Bosco also gives you a hearty "arf" complete with tail wag.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Unfortunately people judge others by their own perfection (hint at flaw there!). As I keep telling my partner : It only takes one to make a headline. Some newspapers, especially the Daily Mail, are particularly good at finding the one exception to make headline and report it as if it's the norm. Sadly though, enough people with the vote fall for the headlines, must be the drinking water.

The world is full of flawed people (every single damn one of us) and some are incapable of combating those flaws even if it puts them under a huge financial pressure. Prime candidates for a distorted TV program.

So , I never let myself get sidetracked by some headline nonsense (I look at the agenda of the story teller).

The English language has a few proverbs, we should all learn from hundreds of years of proverbs ! The two I always remember are :

* Action speaks a thousand words.
* The exception that proves the rule

This exception rule is subtle it means if something is 100% it must be false, truth always has flaws and errors. Needless to say this always trips up the tunnel visioned conspiracist.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
u sir are on the right path

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
These programs are created to elicit that specific reaction. To make hard working people envious and resentful of those who don't work while the politicians get down to the real job of robbing us all blind. If it's not people on benefits it's immigrants, if it's not immigrants it's fat people, if it's not fat people it's the homeless or the disabled.

I actually don't care at all if somebody is on benefits, I don't work to pay tax to support them and given the option I wouldn't pay tax at all. The only reason I do work is it affords me a lifestyle that I deem acceptable, the way most people on benefits live is not a level of existence I would be prepared to tolerate.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I never forget what I had to do to get by, and no matter what profits I can generate, I will not blow money on frivolous shiny baubles, or cars and homes to compete with the Jones'.

Well said and that attitude is what got us where we are, are are not rich but we do own our on house all 1800 square feet of it and we still shop for clothes and things and the gently used store.

Regards, Iwinder

S&F

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

had to Google "larder fridge", not a term I was familiar with. Seems to equate to what we'd call a "mini fridge" or "dorm fridge". If not accurate, please let me know!

It's just a fridge. Fridges used to have an ice box, but most folk have a larder fridge and a freezer now.

top topics

join