posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:32 PM
It's about that time... two years since our last major upgrade.
I'm about 40% through the refinements to a new mobile site for ATS, and am getting to the point where suggestions are appropriate.
We first launched a mobile web version of ATS two years ago, and since then, our mobile traffic has grown from just over 20%, to 50% on most days.
That's huge. But now that even more members and visitors are using the mobile site, it's time to consider more specific upgrades. Here's what's
on my list, and the current status:
1) Improved menu -- slide-out full menu for phone form factors. No more dumbed-down, too-small menu. 40% completed.
2) Improved UX -- better/cleaner definition of posts/quotes/etc. with a tighter design and more contemporary look & feel. 30% completed.
3) Swipe Detection (phone only) -- Swiping to the right will take you backwards in your browsing history on the site. Swiping to the left
within a thread will take you to the next page of a thread. 10%.
4) Mobile Member Portal -- A one-page summary of everything that has happened since your last visit. 20%.
5) Real Time Alerts -- While browsing in mobile, you get alerts for new replies, new private messages, and new threads in subscribed forums as
they happen. Planned; not started.
6) Easier Picture Uploading -- Mobile users will have the option of taking a photo to start a thread, or using a photo in their camera roll.
Planned; not started.
7) Smaller Footprint -- Smaller overall page file sizes for faster loading on mobile connections. 50%.
Things you may lose in the new mobile site: mobile avatars, desktop mode option, light/dark option.
All that being said, what are other mobile features you'd like to see as part of the incremental upgrade?
--- --- and yes, there's a list of smaller current issues that are being addressed