It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 million U.S. residents are drinking uranium-contaminated groundwater

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We're poisoning our oceans, our skies, our groundwater, our food...and ourselves.

The researchers at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln analyzed almost 275,000 groundwater samples collected from about 62,000 locations from two aquifers that provide millions of people in the US with drinking water: the High Plains and Central Valley.

The High Plains aquifer is the largest in the US: It spans from Texas to South Dakota and stretches over a total of eight states. And it not only has uranium concentrations 89 times the EPA's maximum contaminant level (MCL), but it also has nitrate concentrations levels 189 times the MCL.

The California-based Central Valley aquifer has even higher concentration levels with uranium concentrations 180 times the MCL and nitrate concentration levels 34 times the MCL.

To begin, this is from naturally occurring uranium; however, what makes this significant is that the *reason* this uranium in leaching into the aquifers in such high concentrations is, yep, chemical and animal waste fertilizers, namely Nitrate. The fertilizer make the uranium water soluble. The majority of this contamination is in the Midwest, where the nation's largest aquifer is present, and in California, which are also home to huge agricultural industries, so it is not surprising that there would be many more fertilizers (as well as pesticides) used there.

The two aquifers irrigate cropland that accounts for one-sixth of the annual revenue generated by US agriculture.

Water from two aquifers in the US contains uranium levels that are significantly higher than the US Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) maximum contaminant level (MCL).

What's more, these two aquifers provide drinking water to almost 6 million people, and almost 2 million of them live less than a mile from the contaminated groundwater, according to a study led by two researchers from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

No wonder people have continued health issues. In this case, there is no telling how long these people have been slowly poisoning themselves, unknowingly, by drinking this contaminated water. Now the question is: what will be done about it? We know the power and influence of big agriculture, we know the impact of fertilizers and pesticides (this study also proves it), but will practices change?

Yes, we're poisoning our oceans, our skies, our groundwater, our food...and ourselves.

BusinessInsider.
download link to the .pdf in the Journal of environmental Sciences

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I'd like to see an infographic for other countries to see a comparison.

that's scary stuff... DEFINITELY a cause for great concern

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I saw this on the news this morning and perked up since I live in Nebraska. My mom had thyroid issues and so did a number of people in my home town of Gothenburg. This could very well be a reason for why so many people were experiencing issues. When 10-15 people in a small town all have to have their thyroids removed, something "had to be in the water."

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

This is one of those times where I just feel both so helpless and frustrated I don't know what to do.

Here's the thing, in our country, our health coverage and costs are our own to bear, and yet Big Agri and Big Chem are CAUSING environmental hazards we can do nothing about that then, very possibly, impact our own and our family's health.

I don't want to derail the thread here with this, but I would love to know how the impact of this is up to the little guy, the individual and their family, to just "deal with."

This is what government is supposed to be good for, no? Regulating this crap so it doesn't kill everyone???

Sorry. This just makes me angry. It's known, it's preventable, so let's clean it up. Preferably now.

- AB

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Uranium is used in Fracking too, as a tracking agent.

The best measure one can take against the pollutants in their water is to consume distilled water to the exclusion of bottled, tap or well sources.

Only distilling water will remove 99.999 percent of particulates, including trace elements. Nothing is perfect, but distilled is the best option.

Myths about distilled water

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Naturally occuring, Doubtful And Why is Oklahoma City so concentrated, with Uranium in the water. If the EPA had already set a maximum and it is being exceeded then it cant really be naturally occuring, at those levels. I see a small blip of red in the exact spot I live, in my state. As for the nitrate levels, I can definetly see how agriculture could lead to higher nitrate levels, since that is exactly what is used to help the soil for the next years harvest. Something needs to change, whether its the amount of nitrates a farmer can put in the soil, as for the Uranium I dont know

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If fracking uses Uranium then that would explain why OK city is so concentrated. Looks as though their secrets are beginning to leach out, no matter what cover ups are used. scary

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

In many cases that's not exactly feasible. I'd never drink city water without serious in-home filtration. Single home distillation is also not feasible. Perhaps a city-wide distillery.

I have a well. I shouldn't have to worry groundwater contamination from massive chemical use by industry. If my water was contaminated from agri fertilizers I'd be pissed, and I can't expect to distill everything that comes out of the ground, I'd want to get at the source: preventing the contamination. People have been fighting this crap a lot, from fracking onward.

And that's the problem, but we don't seek to deal with the *cause* of the problem and to prevent it, but rather to deal with the effects of it after the fact. Same with health issues.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: warpig69
I saw this on the news this morning and perked up since I live in Nebraska. My mom had thyroid issues and so did a number of people in my home town of Gothenburg. This could very well be a reason for why so many people were experiencing issues. When 10-15 people in a small town all have to have their thyroids removed, something "had to be in the water."

Gothenburg, eh?
I grew up in Falls City. Everyone on my mom's side has thyroid issues. My mom had hers removed about four years ago. I always thought it was the pesticides on crops.

No doubt the well we have here in PA has uranium contamination. Our basement has high radon.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

What altitude is the bottom of your well at? Ever test it for everything?

Distilling is as simple as making moon shine (without the shine). Heat water, make steam, condense steam, drink.

As time goes on, water from any source will carry more contaminants. Distilling removes the most impurities.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well well well.... Holy crap Jersey and PA are boned bad enough we irradiate the bread basket but we also hit one of our largest population centers as well. We have radon detectors in our basement but i doubt it can be calibrated to uranium especially seeing as the radon is airborne well were screwed. TIME TO GLOW YEEEAHHHH!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yikes that looks like a huge blob right on denver trailing down south along the front range....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
They probably bottle it and sell it to everyone.

The radiation could actually kill thyroid cancer if high enough and if it attaches to iodine but can also kill the thyroid. I wonder if there is a lot of thyroid issues in those areas?
edit on 19-8-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Yes, I understand distillation. My point is it's not feasible for every single household to do this on a large scale, and not distilling 100% of the water that comes out of the ground.

Not sure the elevation of the bottom of the well. The general elevation of this town is around 890ft, this land is a little lower, and the well is 100 ft down plus 100ft deep.

And no, I've never tested it for everything.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They probably bottle it and sell it to everyone.

The radiation could actually kill thyroid cancer if high enough and if it attaches to iodine but can also kill the thyroid. I wonder if there is a lot of thyroid issues in those areas?

A couple of the comments on this thread has said yes, there have been thyroid issues. And not just with them or their family members, but other people as well.

Now they need to do a study of the number of thyroid issues in these places and how that compares to the national average.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yeah uhm we are totally boned now it seems how long does it take for these caustic chemicals take to leach into the uranium rich layers and then into the groundwater? Im only asking because we have been using nitrate based fertilizers for a very long time and im afraid that if it takes a while(5-20 years or so) we are only on the first step on this long road to glowing six headed 325 testacled mutie babies because we have been using more and more and more as time goes on so that would have a major compounding effect on the situation.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: warpig69
From Hastings myself and I can attest to everything that you just said.

I think it's more or less an unspoken consequence of living in this area. Nobody really wants to admit that our oh so great ground water may be the cause for many of the health issues around here.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse I wonder if there is a lot of thyroid issues in those areas?

yes

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

How about a link or proof of this...

Uranium is used in Fracking too, as a tracking agent.

Namely because I know this is false. (A tracking agent???) Why are you spewing this online? The poor poster below said New Jersey is high as well, show me where fracking takes place there as well...

This is not nice to scare people!

This is terrible news and all but no need to fill people's minds up with stuff that isn't true....Unless I am wrong?
edit on 8/19/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join