It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami: We only care because it wasn't all just poor people that died...rich people died too!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Do you remember all the other natural disasters of 2004 that killed tens and thousands of poor innocent victims? Probably not. Will you rember the Tsunami for a while? Yes probably, but why? Because the Tsunami of 2004 killed many vacationing westerners.

If rich people hadn't died, if westerners hadn't died then nobody would care. Of course you will object to my reasoning and say you are a humane person and grieve for every lost soul. But will you think differently about the 9 year old poor black indian girl with no teeth and tattered clothing and that 32 year old just married couple from UK?

In our world lives are worth more than others and it is a fact true and unrefutable. Look at people in your community - see how they look at you and maybe even you - how do you look at others?

If it was only poor people, everyone would think WOW a big Tsunami? Any photos? But because rich people died we are like OH a big Tsunami, is everyone ok?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Yeah, those millions of dollars donated in the last 3 days by citizens all over the world to charities sending food and supplies and medicine ... it's all going to the rich people who were involved, right?

Wait a minute.
That doesn't make a damn bit of sense now, does it?

Sure.
The world only cares because rich people are involved. You nailed it, uh-huh.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm cordially inviting you to stick your dramatic, unfounded accusations up your backside.

Are you delusional? Do you think you know what is in people's hearts?

You really should have thought a little bit before posting the inflammatory crap.

Personal suggestion to you:

DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO DENY IGNORANCE - YOU'LL VANISH!

*valhall clicks her happy button*

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
December 26th 2003 an earthquake struck in Iran killing thousands of poor iranians in the ancient city of Bam...we didn't cry like this. But if there were thousands of rich european travellers there in Bam then the whole world would be awoken to the tradgedy.

The point banshee is not that we don't care about poor people, but that we are awoken to the tradgedy and thus care about it because rich people died

JAK

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
No 00PS sorry.

While some might well take offence to your idea and suggest that it says more about your own character and cynicism than anyone else, I would just strongly disagree.

Although I cannot speak for anyone else, for me you are totally off the mark here. Be prepared, some might easily find this quite insulting indeed.

Jack

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS
December 26th 2003 an earthquake struck in Iran killing thousands of poor iranians in the ancient city of Bam...we didn't cry like this.

Oh for crying out loud.

Tell ya what. Do an ATS search for the Bam quake, and see how a cross-section of the world cried for those victims.

Do you live so completely separate from the real world that you don't know how people felt for the Iranians who were affected? Sheesh.

Disrespectful. :shk:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
*sniff sniff* Smells like points trolling to me. I cannot imagine a more ignorant thread.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
That is indeed part of it OOPS, that westerners died, but another part of it, is that so many countries were affected. A huge part of it is how much awe we have for the devestating power of the sea. When Orissa was struck with cyclones or Gujurat and Bam by earthquakes, there was not as much hullaballu.

The people who are donating and sympthaizing are not so shallow. I am sure they genuinely feel for the poor too. However, the reality is, this feeling is provoked by the media.

The same happened when Diana died, 99% of the people who were grieving for her, did not even know her. I am not saying it's a bad thing to grieve for these poor victims of the tsunamis, compassion is never a bad thing, but I am saying, that a lot of the emotions and those people being galvanized into donating money is because of the psychological conditioning of the media. It's amazing how much power that idiot box has over our minds.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
OOPS, you sure you didn't write this story at CNN??:

www.cnn.com...

Cause you two seem to have a lot in common.

Despite your remarks, I still believe that if it happened to all poor people on the coast of Africa as an example, and 100,000+ died, that the international outpouring of aid would be indentical. It is an international tragedy, without regard to rich or poor. Please do not try to make it so.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I'm cordially inviting you to stick your dramatic, unfounded accusations up your backside.

Are you delusional? Do you think you know what is in people's hearts?

You really should have thought a little bit before posting the inflammatory crap.

Personal suggestion to you:

DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO DENY IGNORANCE - YOU'LL VANISH!

*valhall clicks her happy button*

I guess having so many points entitles you to have the same color for your background and name...I had about 100 points and had to change it...Anyways just wanna let you know that DENIAL is the first stage, way to go you are on your way to understanding the dominance culturally and economically of the northern hemisphere over the southern hemisphere! That's almost reason enough to celebrate...but not enough for you to make 'inflamatory' remarks...

I wonder how you really have a time to respond to this when you don't have any time to actually think about what I wrote...anyways hope you get to step 2 of your 'awaking process' really soon, you are in dire need of help!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Dear FredT thanks for chiming in there, you know almost every post it seems isn't good enough for ya....Thanks for putting your honest felt opinons out there... mmmm tastes like raw meat...that's my opinion...Anyone else care to taste or sniff??? Point trolling, raw meat, how many other thoughtful comments on the posters intentions can we have here tonight....

Anyways - This is my true honest to god feeling, I only brought it here because I would like to know what you think. As you know I am in China and nobody really cares about the Tsunami, why? The world has too many people and China too - so why is it a big deal? ' Because so many foreigners died ' that is the consensus.

I agree - you don't? So what - Face it you could be wrong

Originally posted by FredT
*sniff sniff* Smells like points trolling to me. I cannot imagine a more ignorant thread.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
OOPS, All your posts were ignorant, but to cap it off, this summed it up for me.

I guess having so many points entitles you to have

Sanc'.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
For sure the fact that "rich" people died makes a difference for some people, but I still think they are the minority. I remember what happened in Iran a year ago and I did care. Not just because there was a friend of mine in Iran at that time. No. I cared because things like that are a tragedy. So many people dieing is always a tragedy, no matter if they are rich or poor, tourists from the western countries or living in a hut in Thailand.

JAK

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
OOPS, if you are not trolling than I am stunned how someone could be so far off the mark.

I too, just like Fred T, thought you were trolling because I find it hard that someone could be so cynical, so wrong and out of touch.

This belief you so obviously hold that western lives are intrinsically more precious than any others is offensive to any right-minded person, western of otherwise.

Anyways - This is my true honest to god feeling...

Is that so? Fair enough it is your right to hold onto any opinion you so desire, just as it is others to react when you publicly offer it. If the rest of the world tells you that the sky is blue, I would give it some serious consideration. Stop barking at anyone who disagrees and take some of your own advice:

Face it you could be wrong

Jack

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Well ive just donated �50.00 to the Red Cross/Red Cresent guys and when the Sudan disaster came about i donated �25.00 to Oxfam. Not a lot i know but im not Rich. I think you are reaching a bit here with your presumption that we only care because " Rich " people were involved in this disaster. Absolute crap im afraid, people are people no matter what their Social standing is, this is the worst disaster in living memory and you hijack it for your own personal rant? Sad, very sad.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Well thanks for stopping by and adding your flavorful two bits...not like it's worth much anyways....

Originally posted by sanctum
OOPS, All your posts were ignorant, but to cap it off, this summed it up for me.

All of these people whining here and accusing me of point trolling can go where I'd rather not say. The truth is truth. If rich people did not die in this tragedy, half of you wouldn't even know about it. Check out what Indigo Child wrote. The media can get so many of you to donate because you are conditioned too, and why is it such big news, because rich people died. If so many rich people didn't die it wouldn't be such a big news item and people would forget about it JUST LIKE BAM. That was a Xmas tragedy we all forgot about the week it happened...I remember. Both times I was in China, but this time it's different why? Bam was poor, The beaches of Thailand are full of Rich westerners basking in tropical sun at little cost cuz it's cheap, but uh oh...disaster strikes....OH NO!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I didn't realize that all of those Indonesian villages that were wiped off the map were so rich...wow...

The tsunami affected numerous countries, altered the world map, and has killed over 100,000 people. THAT's why we care! In fact, the idea of "rich people dying" didn't even occur to me until reading your initial post...

I suppose one can forget that there WAS quite a bit of aid and outpouring to Iran after the quake, even some sent from the US who sees Iran as an enemy...but nevertheless, the aid was there.

Of course you will object to my reasoning and say you are a humane person and grieve for every lost soul. But will you think differently about the 9 year old poor black indian girl with no teeth and tattered clothing and that 32 year old just married couple from UK?

I beg to differ. Had I been there and seen either get swept away, I'd do everything in my power to save either of them...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I mean, you can imagine being on vacation and a huge wave is coming at you!
Or your driving home from work and you look out to see the Ocean and you see a 3 story wave!!!!

Watching family friends and loved ones go shooting out of you grasp in a WAVE!

Thats why it should not only bother us, but pray, send clothes money water. Help in some way.

I'm not worried about the "tourists" as much.
It seems like they are taking care of them selves.

I heard a weird thing on Larry King last night.

He was talking to someone in Phucket, Thailand, and he said on the other side of the island, just a few miles away from the devestation, there are vacationers flying into there and not distrupting their vacations.
Larry asked him if that "seemed odd to him", and he said "It does to me"!!!

I believe we are all drawn to this not because of rich people, but because of the total devestation it caused.

It makes you think.
What if one would hit the Gulf of Mexico.
Florida would be gone!

Another thing I saw last night running along the bottom of a News Channel's Update bar.

"Asteroid moves off course and won't strike Earth in 2029 as forcasted"

Did anyone else see this!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
somebody should cap this thread..

since nobody is content to leave it alone to die in peace.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Well thanks for stopping by and adding your flavorful two bits...not like it's worth much anyways....

Originally posted by sanctum

All of these people whining here and accusing me of point trolling can go where I'd rather not say. The truth is truth. If rich people did not die in this tragedy, half of you wouldn't even know about it. Check out what Indigo Child wrote. The media can get so many of you to donate because you are conditioned too, and why is it such big news, because rich people died. If so many rich people didn't die it wouldn't be such a big news item and people would forget about it JUST LIKE BAM. That was a Xmas tragedy we all forgot about the week it happened...I remember. Both times I was in China, but this time it's different why? Bam was poor, The beaches of Thailand are full of Rich westerners basking in tropical sun at little cost cuz it's cheap, but uh oh...disaster strikes....OH NO!!!

Its big news because, and this is the important bit, 100.000 + PEOPLE died, rich people, poor people. But they were all Human beings, all of them.
Id like to know why you think you have the right to berate people about what and if they give to disaster relief? Do you know me? Have we ever met? No? Then please enlighten us as to where you get this information from, how did you form this idea?
I know, you must be able to read minds, is that it? Are you psychic OOPS? That must be it because no one would have the arrogance to believe they can see what is in a persons heart unless they were, would they?

Oh, you're not psychic. Thats a shame because any credibility you had is going up in smoke post by post. This is my last post on this, because feeding Trolls just makes them more greedy for attention.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join