It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simon Peter the Roman

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Things get lost in translation buddy! I know you weren't having a go!

I think our Saviour already did consider us, as he was dying on the cross. It's just up to us to take up our own crosses and carry them to Calvary. In the spiritual mind.

Bally

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Cheers too.

Guess he 4K'new as outlined in Matty 16 slash "24" that carrying the cross would be the case.

Bally

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I've read and comprehended the passage just fine. There is debate whether Jesus was speaking of Peter or himself. I see no reason why Jesus would feel the need to call Peter by name unless his name had some kind of meaning within the context of that passage, but to each his own.

If Jesus was speaking of himself and that the "rock" was him being the Messiah then how can we explain the WBC? They agree that Jesus was the Messiah yet they act like Satan with their protests and views. Apparently Satan has infiltrated the Messiah concept with the WBC, not to mention other denominations. Not all of them can be right can they?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Peter was not the first pope. That is a post hoc addition trying to legitimize authority. There is zero evidence that he was ever a pope or even a leader of "the church".

Second. The rock that Jesus will build his church on is not Peter as many have assumed. It is on revelation from God. The context of that passage reveals it.
" who do you say I am?" Peter says "Jesus christ the son of God."

Here is the key to this query. "Blessed are you Simon bar Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my father in heaven. And on this rock I will build my church".

The foundation is one on one revelation from God. God direct to you. No mediators of men. No priesthood required. No scriptures to believe in. No church to bring you to God. That was the point of the incarnation. To reveal that God is with us. That we don't need external authority to dictate our spirituality.

The rock a symbol of flesh and blood ( heart of stone ) and a common symbol of religions to build around. The quaba stone was in existence and well known. Many temples were built around a meteoric stone. This was a message from heaven. Literally. But Jesus flips the script and takes the common picture of a literal rock and uses it to explain a spiritual truth. His kingdom is. Not of this world and so does not rely on literal rocks to build a temple around.

There seems to have been a literal rock that was at the center of the Israelite tabernacle in the wilderness. 1 Corinthians speaks of all following that rock. But he says that rock was christ. Not literally but allegorically. In the very same way Jesus is changing their thoughts from exoteric religion with literal temples made of stone to temples of our body and an esoteric religion.

The kingdom of heaven is inside. The holy of holies where the heavenly stone resides is in you. That stone is the direct word of God to you.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You really have a chip on your shoulder, huh?

Maybe ..... you blame God for not healing you? Of course I am only guessing.......... but I see you really have a big dislike for Christianity.

You bash Christianity more than any other religion, why is that?

I can feel you hatred and anger and you need to let that go. It is unhealthy both physically and mentally.

Would you PM me and let me know ONLY your first name? I want to speak with God and and ask him to send help to you ASAP all you have to do is receive it.

I want a supernatural event to happen in your life that you can not explain and that will change your life for the better!

God loves you more than you will ever know.

I mean you no harm..... what can you loose?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

No chip on my shoulder at all and I have no hate for Christianity whatsoever. The reason I speak of Christianity is because it is the religion I grew up with and am most familiar with. I also believe it is the simplest form of esoteric knowledge out of all religions, but then again that could be because I am so familiar with it.

I don't need prayers to heal me, I've already been healed by letting go of my fear and belief in hell, that was my greatest hurdle to overcome and I have been made better because of it.

If I were more familiar with other religions then I would post about them as well, I still have a lot to learn though.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is the full passage around Matthew 16:

21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[f] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

As you can see, Jesus stated plainly what must happen - his questioning, torture, execution AND resurrection.

Peter steps in to rebuke Him, and that is when Christ says what he does. What Jesus spoke of what God's will and plan. It was not for anyone to try to gainsay it. However, there was one force who would try - Satan, and that is what Christ is calling out. And he goes on to say that Peter speaks out of simple human concerns - Peter loves Christ as a man, friend and teacher (agape) and naturally none of us wants to see those who are close to us suffer such things. However in this case, it must be as God's concerns are different.

Christ then goes on to expound on why, and what it means to "take up the cross." This world, the material, is fleeting. His world is eternal.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Good post CA. I do ask though, with respect. Why hasn't Christ just simply destroyed Satan and satan's followers

All satan means is the "adversary". Why would Christ bother with something that's not 1 particular "entity"?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I do ask though, with respect. Why hasn't Christ just simply destroyed Satan and satan's followers.

He will. We know how it ends. The time is already set aside for it, but His time and ours are not the same.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: zardust

I agree with you here, Jesus was speaking of the revelation aspect as the rock of the the church, but I think there is a reason that Jesus referred to Peter by name and it may have been to point out the dichotomy of Peter (who is traditionally seen as a founder of the church) and the true church. It's almost like he was saying "you are 'petros' but 'petra' is the true rock of my church".

I think Peter being called Satan, him denying Jesus, and him sitting with Roman guards at the trial points toward something personally. Why would Jesus say his servants didn't fight against his arrest when Peter clearly did? Maybe because Peter wasn't a servant of God but of man as Jesus says when he calls him Satan.
edit on 8/19/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

And yet it is also true that Peter heard God. Jesus Himself acknowledged as much.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Oh wow, the flood is gonna get really nasty, when i read the comments. Ill just go with whatever comes

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

James 2
19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.

Him hearing God means nothing, even demons believe, they just deceive people. The church has deceived billions throughout history.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Christ also made plain that the church is the body of believers, not this or that sect or dogma. Technically, when my husband and I do a devotion, we are a church, or a gathering of believers.

So I think when you use the word "church," you ought to clarify. Are you saying that Christ is deceiving His body?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

So why are there churches? The temple is your body, not some building with a cross on it. Why even attend church at all? It's a middle man, it requires your money to preach what you already know right? They're con men.

I didn't say Jesus is deceiving his body, the church is. The organized religion church.
edit on 8/19/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So why are there churches? The temple is your body, not some building with a cross on it. Why even attend church at all? It's a middle man, it requires your money to preach what you already know right? They're con men.

Church, the building, is the gathering place for believers. It is where we go to fellowship with one another and to teach each other and to work together in our faith.

I could say the same about schools. Everything you need to educate yourself is readily available, so why go to a school? It's a middle man, it requires your money to teach you what you could already learn for yourself, right? They're con men.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

You know having a logical debate or discussion with religious people will never work. You can show every story from the last eight thousands years. Trying to imply a monotheistic God is a human deity, religion as a philosophy are based on celestial bodies in our solar system. Or even trying to explain hey, you know we are moving the celestial worship from Saturn to one ninth of the observable universe.
All of them use the bible as a dogma, in this time we live in now, Astronomers, theologians, philosophers, linguistic experts are uniting and trying to build a next phase in evolution. The sad part is, not everyone has a place. If you cannot live in balance on earth as a human, then you arent a human. Being a human is more than being alive, primate needs is something we all have, Control is what a human has. The times of assyrians, gypsies, excalibur, jesus, allah, Buddha, has passed. Those Gods are dead or at the end of life. Most of them only knows the words fear and war, the people running this movie, couldnt care more for a human life, even their own. Their single objective has always been to find God, not to be God.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: yulka

That's a scary post.

1.) You are basically opening the door to the mass murder of every person who has faith when you say, "There is NO place ..."

2.) You cannot become God. It is the purest hubris. Walk down to the sea sometime with a 32oz cup and scoop out some water. It represents everything we truly know about our universe. Now look at the water left in the oceans of the world. That's what's still unknown, but keep right on believing that you are the full master of reality.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

In society no, over 3.500.000.000 people live in cities, an unbalanced way of life, a parasite who isnt self sufficient.
We dont need to know the universe, we have our universe in this place called planet earth. Why do we need the stars to feel alive? Why do we need god to find an answer, most are looking at very wrong places.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Yeah, school is a system that teaches kids to be obedient and to submit to authority more than anything else, so your comparison is very fitting. It keeps children in line much like church and religion does with children and adults alike. School is government run whereas church is said to be run by God. Like I have said before, government and religion go hand in hand, using the same tactics as each other because they're implemented by the same type of people who have always been in power.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join