It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why must we have a Purpose?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
We are here on earth, like any other living thing is. Animal or plant.
Our goal is the same as in plants, to reproduce.

As a plant grows and makes its sexual organs, the flower, what its goal was all along is to make seeds.

Animals grow with the goal to make baby's.

Flowers are sexual organs and some like to see those sexual organs.
If they are flowers or human sexual reproduction organs, they are all sexual organs.

Like plants we grow to have sex and make baby's.
After that, plants and humans have for filled their duty and can die.

It's nature, from smal to big, from plants to animals, reproduction is the goal.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

so for me my purpose is to let people get more comfortable with themselves.
To let people talk more..
Somehow get people to love each other, once they realize we all have our own issues..

barring that..

My purpose would then turn into....
Well, I won't say it..

Let's make the first one work.
Please.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest
You genuinely can't believe that 50% of our purpose on earth is to weed out those that belive in christ to those that don't believe. I have to say this again just so your views are clear. God decides which geographical location people start their life so knows 70% of ppl are going to he'll? Who will never be exposed to the teachings of christ.you may want to reevaluate the "purpose" of yours and tour gods life. The worst thing is you will believe this is a logical/ intelligent perspective.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

With our sentience and intelligence, I think we are able to create meaning and purpose in our respective lives. This can be extended to include others from close family to strangers. When an institution (as an entity) symbolises and perpetuates meaning and purpose, it can transmit the ideals through time and space. In a sense, it's like a simulated reality versus consensus reality and hard to differentiate one from the other.

If several billion people believe life has a purpose, it will appear to provide evidence of that belief. At that juncture, life has taken on the aspects of having purpose and blurred the distinctions.

Philosophically and subjectively, I frequently wonder about meaning and purpose in Life and wonder if it's my human frailty that keeps suspecting there's a meaning? On the other hand, the slaughter in Rwanda disturbed me enough that it still resonates.

Objectively, rationally, I doubt there's any at all. There are (and were) thousands of multi-class stars that will be born and burn out without any intelligent life-form even knowing about them. I know you can relate to that idea. Likewise, there might be millions of worlds where non-intelligent life arose and was extinguished by natural circumstances and dying stars - meaningless.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

IDK but if I were to answer the question in the heading straight
forward. I would say it's obvious that you don't " Have " to have any
purpose at all. Because even if one finds his/her purpose in life?
It doesn't end there. Don't you see it Re? Do you even want to at all?

Make that THE heading.
edit on Ram81915v26201500000030 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Just because people live in areas that you believe to be secluded, doesn't mean that God can't reach them.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

originally posted by: okrian
There is nothing more aggravating than people that say "everything in life has a purpose". Arrogance and ignorance all wrapped up together. It's usually people who have pretty decent lives save for a few things that utter this phrase. And sadly, and surprisingly, it's even often said by people that aren't really even aligned with a religion. If they thought for a few minutes what they are really saying, then they might take this thought-line a little more seriously. If everything has a purpose, then you are also saying that there is a purpose for the young girl born into a basement, held as prisoner her entire life, raped repeatedly, tortured, then murdered... never seeing the light of day, never even experiencing joy, not once. You say that for the mass executions and torture throughout the ages. You say that for mass death and extinction. You say that for babies that suffer for a few months and then die. You say that for burn victims that will never want to look in a mirror, etc. etc. etc.

There have been so many awful, painful lives that have unjustly existed and you must also claim that they have a purpose. What kind of terrible self-centered person actually believes that this is true. "Oh, it's ok, everything has a purpose". If my life was nothing but torture and someone said this to me I would want to unleash a new hellish purpose upon them.

I will say this, if I even entertained the idea that life has a purpose, then it was planned out by a terribly cruel and heartless being. All known evidence would certainly point to that.

Of course, this phrase is said to make oneself feel better. That somehow the evils of the world have a means to an end. That good will come of it all. But this world is harsh. This life can be terribly harsh. That's just the way it is. Running from that is merely a short run personal gain (by writing it off, in essence) and straight up insulting to people who's lives are in a far worse place.

There's absolutely no evidence that life has purpose (except to survive, if that can be called a purpose). We make our own purpose. Most of us grew up in society, feel empathy, feel good about things and want others to feel the same. To share in the beauty of the world. And we soak it up for all it's worth, feeling joy for the genetic lottery that landed us here, because you never know when it could all turn.

And you people that say that without god anything would be permissible, wouldn't want to live, etc... you are the scariest people out there. Is the golden rule too complicated for you? Does that not feel natural for survival? Cause you really don't need much more than that.

GET OVER IT!

funny, that doesnt sound like something jesus would say. quite the opposite in fact.

(post by randyvs removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
As an existentialist, I believe life has the meaning and purpose the individual chooses it to be.

Existence precedes essence; life occurs, living is the purpose.. The only way to measure the value of your own life and its purpose, is by valuing the lives of others..

Your life is yours to create.

It's simple and succinct, and takes care of the old "existential insecurity" without relying on an outside force or deity.

"I took a test in Existentialism. I left all the answers blank and got 100.” ― Woody Allen

"You are the music while the music lasts." — T. S. Eliot

"Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself." — Jean-Paul Sartre

"To assert that the universe has a purpose implies the universe has intent. And intent implies a desired outcome. But who would do the desiring? And what would a desired outcome be? That carbon-based life is inevitable? Or that sentient primates are life’s neurological pinnacle? Are answers to these questions even possible without expressing a profound bias of human sentiment? Of course humans were not around to ask these questions for 99.9999% of cosmic history. So if the purpose of the universe was to create humans then the cosmos was embarrassingly inefficient about it." — Neil Degrasse Tyson

Sometimes I wonder and lament over the fact that one of the most logical and inherently natural philosophies mankind has come up with is also one the most neglected and misunderstood.. I'll take interactive working philosophy over dogmatic theological ideology any day:

"Existentialism is nothing less than an attempt to draw all the consequences of a coherent atheistic position. It isn’t trying to plunge man into despair at all. But if one calls every attitude of unbelief despair, like the Christians, then the word is not being used in its original sense. Existentialism isn’t so atheistic that it wears itself out showing that God doesn’t exist. Rather, it declares that even if God did exist, that would change nothing. There you’ve got our point of view. Not that we believe that God exists, but we think that the problem of His existence is not the issue. In this sense, existentialism is optimistic, a doctrine of action, and it is plain dishonesty for Christians to make no distinction between their own despair and ours and then to call us despairing." — Jean-Paul Sartre
edit on 19-8-2015 by spygeek because: it was my purpose

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Yup.

People who are fearful need a purpose.

People who are not fearful don't need a purpose, but may certainly choose one for the enjoyment of it.

Kev

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join