It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't blame the Gays/Lesbians. Same sex marriage shouldn't even need to exist.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I hate it when people say omg same sex marriage it is the end of the world(Christians especially). This is utterly bull. The gays/lesbians technically didn't even need to be married. The true reason for this is because the Government/Some group has control over your marriage and giving special benefits. This did not happened in the past. We marry(men and women) in the church and that is it. Therefore gays and lesbians didn't have to care about marriage. Heck they can do it at home. It is all about benefits that people get after marriage. Especially adopting children. You can keep blaming the lesbians or gays, but this all started by using marriage as a way to make money.

For example these:

www.hrc.org...
www.investopedia.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Would it shock you to know that I more or less agree?

I would like the government to get out of the marriage business so we can stop fighting over how it gets defined for everyone. After all, we all have very different ideas of what it is or isn't across even different faiths and different sects of the same faith.

The license from the government is a contract set about by men and it shouldn't say "marriage" on it at all for anyone. If you want it, then it should be for you, as a couple to decide and for the government to set terms on. But marriage itself is for various other societal groups to define amongst themselves.

That government contract is NOT my marriage. My marriage is a set of vows I took before God with my husband, but of course, not everyone holds to that.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yes and no really.

It's also about equality. Why should gay people have to have a second class marriage system that is not officially recognized?

I'm in a country where marriage is not legal yet. I see no point in having a fake ceremony because people will still be able to look down their noses at me and say I'm not actually married.

I don't give a crap about the commitment part, we're already committed - it's been 10 years since we met. For me it's a life of defacto or proper marriage,nothing in between.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yeah, I was wondering why they wanted to be a part of something so traditional and "unprogressive".

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well government and religion have always gone hand in hand, religion divides people into different sects and the government comes in and takes advantage of that division. It's a one two punch those in power have been using for all of recorded history.

Marriage is a man-made concept either way you look at it. Maybe it's based on a higher truth but the the institution we see today is only a shadow of that higher truth.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

I mean, you have a Cat together.. that is commitment

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

not as much as if you have a dog tho - the cat will make up its own mind!!

And yes - I agree with the OP to some extent in that the legal and civil benefits of "marriage" are substantial.

But the concept is also heavily inculcated into our culture - whether you are straight, bent, gay or unhappy or whatever - marriage is a public commitment to another person - the purely ceremonial aspects of it ARE important, as well as the emotional ones.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Well government and religion have always gone hand in hand, religion divides people into different sects and the government comes in and takes advantage of that division. It's a one two punch those in power have been using for all of recorded history.

Marriage is a man-made concept either way you look at it. Maybe it's based on a higher truth but the the institution we see today is only a shadow of that higher truth.

Technically, Lesbians and Gays got the whole idea of marriage wrong if they are not the ones going for benefits. I do know some of them are going for the benefits. My assumption, I don't really know any gays/lesbians who want to be married for religious reasons, maybe there are, maybe there aren't. But, I do know they are getting married for benefits.

time.com...

The whole point of marriages was to know certain woman already has a man. Therefore another man couldn't steal that woman and impregnate her to keep. If another man impregnates the wife it would be considered rape/cheating.

As for Gays and Lesbians, no one is stealing them, nor can they impregnate each other. So, they don't really need the traditional marriage thing except a ring to pose as they are actually married/together. A woman today can just pop a ring on her finger and people will think she is married as she shows it off.

Is it your baby or my baby? Lesbian and Gays adopt children, all they need is adoption file evidence not Marriage evidence. Lesbians would most likely go to sperm donor files if they impregnate themselves going through sperm bank as evidence of being together.
edit on 18-8-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-8-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

According to the beliefs on marriage in other religions, I'm not properly married to my husband. So what? They can look down their nose at me all they want. It's what he and I think and believe that is all that really matters.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Gay marriage caused Jade Helm.

I said it.

It's on the internet.

It's now truth.

People will quote me.

*drops mic and walks away*

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Lolz Darth, that is too funny.

Yes we do have a very spoiled fur daughter whom we take camping and off-roading.

Our relationship is as committed and boring as any straight marriage, except some people like to think it is somehow less worthy because we're two dudes.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

According to the beliefs on marriage in other religions, I'm not properly married to my husband. So what? They can look down their nose at me all they want. It's what he and I think and believe that is all that really matters.

I couldn't agree more Ketsuko.

BUT

Marriage for me anyway is not about what I think - I'm already there in my mind and I don't give a damn why other people think. It's about raising the perception that my relationship is not second rate, it's the real deal.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

You can't force other people to give you that. You can only seek to punish them, and that isn't about raising anything; that's simply about revenge.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Look, some people evolved to the point of not needing marriage. Other people think that marriage will make them evolve.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Well Duh Queen!
you know Two Men's can't get married

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Try two and a baby!

Fun fun fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Therefore gays and lesbians didn't have to care about marriage. Heck they can do it at home. It is all about benefits that people get after marriage.

Some of those benefits are pretty important and not all of them are about making money. A few major ones like:

Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.

Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.

Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.

Making burial or other final arrangements.

Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.

That's just to name some of them not dealing with money. Those can be very important if you need them but don't get them if you're not legally married. So you can see where some couples might need their status as a couple to have legal standing.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The coolest part about marriage is always having a date on New Years and Valentines.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I guess. It is always more expensive to get your name off the paper, then on the paper. I even think de facto couples have more benefits than married couples.. Don’t get me wrong we even had the invitations already picked, that was 7 years ago!! .. re/consider .. gave us time to think about it

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Would you like to be adobted by gay couple, you dont get to say anything to that if you are like 2 years old, then when its time to go to school, at my country you would get #load of # to your face about "gay parents" biological or not, i could sense some mental problems later

(no this didnt happen to me. )
No adobtionrights to same sex population, not them fault but just no.
edit on 19-8-2015 by UnHealtyArrogance because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join