It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Declaration Blasts Short-Sighted Capitalism, Demands Action on Climate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Released during an international symposium taking place in Istanbul, the Islamic Declaration on Global Climate Change is signed by 60 Muslim scholars and leaders of the faith who acknowledge that—despite the short-term economic benefits of oil, coal, and gas—humanity's use of fossil fuels is the main cause of global warming which increasingly threatens "a functioning climate, healthy air to breathe, regular seasons, and living oceans."

Islamic Declaration Blasts Short-Sighted Capitalism, Demands Action on Climate

Adding more religious backing to the idea that Climate Change is a moral and ethical issue as well as an economic one this group of Islamic leaders has added their voice to that of the Pope.

The declaration states there is deep irony that humanity's "unwise and short-sighted use of these resources is now resulting in the destruction of the very conditions that have made our life on earth possible."

"Our attitude to these gifts has been short-sighted, and we have abused them," it continues. "What will future generations say of us, who leave them a degraded planet as our legacy? How will we face our Lord and Creator?"

I expect other religious affliations to add to this chorus as the climate talks in Paris later this year.

It will be interesting to see which groups remain mum and just how much these declarations will accelarate political and economic will to action.

I see a choice looming - war and business as usual or massive universal public works to meet the challenge and save as much as we can for our children's future.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I wanted to add one important 'solution' addressed to the 'business' community in this declaration:

Change from the current business model which is based on an unsustainable escalating economy, and to adopt a circular economy that is wholly sustainable;

The planet cannot (and never, in fact, could) support a business model that requires constant gowth.

edit on 18-8-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: Removed unnecessary quote

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
And let me guess....the only way foward is to convert to islam i imagine? lol.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It's a shame that some people need to hear it from their religious leaders instead of actual scientists, but hey, if it leads to action, I'm all for it.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just the orthodox church left, and a new age arises!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
And let me guess....the only way foward is to convert to islam i imagine? lol.

Is that all you've got?

Aim to phase out greenhouse gas emissions as soon as possible in order to stabilize greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere;
Commit themselves to 100 % renewable energy and/or a zero emissions strategy as early as possible, to mitigate the environmental impact of their activities;
Invest in decentralized renewable energy, which is the best way to reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development;
Realize that to chase after unlimited economic growth in a planet that is finite and already overloaded is not viable. Growth must be pursued wisely and in moderation; placing a priority on increasing the resilience of all, and especially the most vulnerable, to the climate change impacts already underway and expected to continue for many years to come.
Set in motion a fresh model of wellbeing, based on an alternative to the current financial model which depletes resources, degrades the environment, and deepens inequality.
Prioritise adaptation efforts with appropriate support to the vulnerable countries with the least capacity to adapt. And to vulnerable groups, including indigenous peoples, women and children.

No statement about converting to Islam there...

Lead the way in phasing out their greenhouse gas emissions as early as possible and no later than the middle of the century;
Provide generous financial and technical support to the less well-off to achieve a phase-out of greenhouse gases as early as possible;
Recognize the moral obligation to reduce consumption so that the poor may benefit from what is left of the earth’s non-renewable resources;
Stay within the ‘2 degree’ limit, or, preferably, within the ‘1.5 degree’ limit, bearing in mind that two-thirds of the earth’s proven fossil fuel reserves remain in the ground;
Re-focus their concerns from unethical profit from the environment, to that of preserving it and elevating the condition of the world’s poor.
Invest in the creation of a green economy.

No statement about converting to Islam there either...

Shoulder the consequences of their profit-making activities, and take a visibly more active role in reducing their carbon footprint and other forms of impact upon the natural environment;
In order to mitigate the environmental impact of their activities, commit themselves to 100 % renewable energy and/or a zero emissions strategy as early as possible and shift investments into renewable energy;
Change from the current business model which is based on an unsustainable escalating economy, and to adopt a circular economy that is wholly sustainable;
Pay more heed to social and ecological responsibilities, particularly to the extent that they extract and utilize scarce resources;
Assist in the divestment from the fossil fuel driven economy and the scaling up of renewable energy and other ecological alternatives.

Not a word about converting to Islam here either...

Speaking for the UN climate body, UNFCCC Executive Secretary Christiana Figueres also welcomed the declaration.

"A clean energy, sustainable future for everyone ultimately rests on a fundamental shift in the understanding of how we value the environment and each other," Figueres said. "Islam’s teachings, which emphasize the duty of humans as stewards of the Earth and the teacher’s role as an appointed guide to correct behavior, provide guidance to take the right action on climate change."

source

This doesn't state a requirement either. Were you as inflammatory and ignorant when Pope Francis' encyclical came out? Did you say that the only way forward was converting to Roman Catholicism? Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.
edit on 18-8-2015 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Well Done!!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I was poking fun see the LOL? sheesh.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

...and my initial question still stands: is that all you've got?

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
So this means that they are not going to sell any of that middle east oil right?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Is this the 1% talking or what?
I mean look at this, it says Climate change in there, why have they left out Anthropogenic, if that is what they mean?

You call a spade a spade, not a fork, but it seems this last while that it's cool to leave out Anthropogenic, could that be the Justin'Casy syndrome?
Look at the state of people now, waiting for the next tentative announcement for 2015 from NASA or NOHAW...hottest year on record, Oh! no it's not, then Oh! yes it is, just like 2014 everywaywhichwas...by a itttybit, (I presume they needed to include the UOA temperature gauge that sits in concrete paving) to get the 2014 ittybit.
I really am sick of all this crapola, much of it destroying young lives over something that is a seriously flawed THEORY!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

The actual declaration isn't quite so silent on the role of god - which is not unexpected of course from an assembly that is first and foremost called together to give a religious response - the actual affirmations of extracts from the quran are longer than the declaration itself, so I won't make a massive quote here.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Thanks for the link.

Yes, I'm not disputing that there is mention of their god, nor that there are quotes from the Qu'ran. That is to be expected.

Having read through it, I still find no exhortation to become Muslim. Indeed, it seems to be an acknowledgement of their responsibilities as Muslims:

2.8 In view of these considerations we affirm that our responsibility as Muslims is to act according to the example of the Prophet Muhammad (God’s peace and blessings be upon him)

and in fact:

3.5 We call on all groups to join us in collaboration, co-operation and friendly competition in this endeavour and we welcome the significant contributions taken by other faiths, as we can all be winners in this race

(bolding mine)

Source

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
From the Declaration...

◾God – Whom we know as Allah – has created the universe in all its diversity, richness and vitality: the stars, the sun and moon, the earth and all its communities of living beings. All these reflect and manifest the boundless glory and mercy of their Creator. All created beings by nature serve and glorify their Maker, all bow to their Lord’s will. We human beings are created to serve the Lord of all beings, to work the greatest good we can for all the species, individuals, and generations of God’s creatures.

Source

To be honest, if Allah is so all-powerful, then perhaps he can lend a helping hand! Whilst he's at it he can sort out his violent followers.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If climate change was man-made then we would be 'responsible' for the changes, but that is not proven. The only thing we know is that the climate changes naturally and it will be necessary for humans to adapt to changes in their environment as they always have.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
We know that humanity can change many things not "man made" - your point is irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Lol, I know that was probably meant as a joke but I'm afraid your closer to the truth than you think..

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
a reply to: Metallicus
We know that humanity can change many things not "man made" - your point is irrelevant.

We don't HAVE to do anything. Your point is irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

If I am not mistaken the Vatican has oil investment holdings. I would also be surprised if those signing off on this weren't benefitting from this travesty as well. Much like the rich people preaching climate change doom, it would go a long way for these hypocrites to start living what they preach. You know , don't take money, get rid of investments, quit jetting around in private jets, multiple large mansions. Wonder how many climate warriors have their 401 k or other retirement accounts invested in gas/oil companies?. Hard to throw stones in glass houses or something like that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join