It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Archaelogists Discovered 1,200 Year Old Telephone

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:44 PM
a reply to: DeviantMortal

If you picture Victorian ear-pieces, they were often very large. Early telephone receivers were smaller, but still larger than 3.5".

If we consider how unsuited these small gourds were as earpieces, and think about the short length of twine, it makes less sense that they were tin can phones.

Never say never. Who knows? There just seems to be a few points against the idea. Maybe they were used as plumb-lines or string-lines for levelling in construction? We still use string-lines today in roofing and bricklaying.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:52 PM
Oh come on. Surely the internet hasn't frazzled people's brains that much. Two baked bean tins and a length of string, hey presto, communication 70's style.

P.S. I know I built one. It was common knowledge in the day.
edit on 18/8/2015 by yorkshirelad because: P.S.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:53 PM
a reply to: Kandinsky

That is why I would like to try and replicate it using the same materials, to see how well it would have worked. Modern man cant help but see modern things when looking into ancient history, rather it is there or not. Our perceptions are altered by the things we see in our everyday lives or even things we sparsely see on media. So you raise a good point. I still reserve my hops that it was a phone though

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:18 PM

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It *might* be a 'tin can telephone' and it could be something else.

The 'receivers' are reportedly 3.5" in size so I wonder how practical they'd be? To be heard over 75 feet would require silence in the surroundings which raises the question of how that would be more useful than speaking?

Those are my first thoughts based on the inquistr article.

Two things I can think of:
1) If they had those buildings with all the steps, maybe this was a direct line from the top building (royalty/priest) down to a ground based room where someone sat and relayed information,
2) like the oracles of the Greeks, perhaps this was embedded behind a statue or something in a quiet room and a "listener" priest used it to communicate words from the gods to the person seeking answers.

Not sure what else..

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:38 PM

originally posted by: Klassified

I am constantly amazed at how advanced our ancestors were.

I am constantly amazed at how dumb we think they were.

Obviously, the finds archaeologists and other disciplines are making say otherwise.

I agree.
I think about it this way... if America was destroyed tomorrow, and was left for a thousand years before being discovered once again by the outside world, everything they found would seem incredibly primitive. Then, someone would discover Area 51, or the labs at Boston Dynamics, or Apples R&D buildings... they'd be shocked at what they found.

These were civilizations pretty much wiped out, with secrets we have no clue about. I really don't think they were so different from us right now in many respects, but we seem to imagine them as being almost like Neanderthals for some strange reason.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:38 PM
Looks like we were far smart then we really were....

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:48 PM
a reply to: Rocker2013

As a kid I once had a thought of future excavations of my home and wondered how archaeologists would view some of our everyday household items. I'm glad your post brought back this memory its one I enjoyed a lot. I am reminded of some Futurama episodes where they get everything totally wrong about the past as well. Makes me wonder how much we get wrong.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:50 PM

originally posted by: DeviantMortal
With a 75 foot length of communication I cant imagine what they would have used it for beyond entertainment though. The article stated that it is thought they used it indoors - but - why
We will probably never know.

Can you imagine the parlour tricks that a sage or mystic might be able to pull off by calling it magic? I think you might find your answer in that particular realm.
Nice catch! S&F4U!!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I was so focused on practice applications I didn't really think of religious ones. Those priests could have pulled off some funky tricks with it. Also, I wonder if it was sensitive enough to be used for espionage. Could you imagine being the priest listening in on the King (If they weren't one in the same I am not familiar enough with the culture) and then "ordaining information from the spirit realm?"

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:09 PM
As others have mentioned, it would not be a very efficient way to communicate. The string would have to remain taut and in a straight, unimpeded line to work at all for carrying voices. I would think that one would not have to raise his voice much to be heard at a distance of only 75 feet (with or without a telephone). It obviously has no "ringer" so the person on the other end would have to just stand around with the gourde pressed against his ear waiting for the other to talk. The conversation would be only half-duplex (only one person speaking at a time, much like radio communication).

Who knows, it may have only been a prehistoric muzak speaker for prehistoric elevators

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:32 PM
a reply to: Shadoefax

Ok, so I did a little research and found some info that is starting to make me doubt a little, its not the size of the Gourd that's the issue. They only have to be identical for it to work. The string isn't even a big issue. Its the gourd itself. The article states that the gourd was coated with a resin, to me that seems like it might make it to rigid to reproduce the vibrations from the string. So, I wonder if the resin would make it work better or make it not work at all and it was some sort of tool like someone suggested earlier. But then again if the gourd was dried out then the resin was applied to it, I am imagining it would resonate quite nicely. Ok, that's it I'm going to figure out where I can buy a couple of small gourds and get some resin. This is gunna bother me if I don't test this.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:34 PM
a reply to: Pitou

the same way we did when we were children but we used tin cans .

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:50 PM

You wrote: "With a 75 foot length of communication I cant imagine what they would have used it for beyond entertainment though. The article stated that it is thought they used it indoors - but - why We will probably never know."

Answer: That systems beats the Hell out of the bell system in Downton Abby

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:59 PM
Verizon in year 800.

Can you....

Hear me now.?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:24 PM
Clever dicks!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:08 PM
I'm open to the idea that these were used for something other than communication, but the membrane stretched out over the opening combined with the attached string really says communication device to me, whether it be an actual telephone type item or something more along the lines of a morse code machine.

I have no clue why people are making a big deal about the fact that it has to be mounted in a fixed position to work properly. That's a complete non-issue. Are you all so young that you forgot about a time before wireless communication or what? Don't remember the big trend in the past for people's homes to have intercoms (fixed to the wall) so that they could talk from the main floor to the basement, or from the house to the garage, which got replaced when home-phones made this feature standard, and then cell phones tool over.

Or in other less developed places where second story residences have pull-strings with bells so the people on the street can contact someone to let them in. There are TONS of possible and good uses for something that allows short-range communication for interiors of buildings, from one building to another, or from inside-to-outside the building where it would be incredibly easy to build a fixed and isolated setup for the gourds/string.

Fixed communication points are nothing new or strange so I'm not sure why everyone keeps harping on that aspect. However I would like to see this reproduced and tested to see what type of things it's capable of. Someone else brought up the point of possible espionage which seems like an awesome idea, similar to how the CIA sets up rooms to entrap people for blackmail purposes, the political elite of this civilization could have produced similar rooms that had several of these devices placed within to allow people in other rooms to hear private conversation. There really is no end to the possible utility of this device so it seems strange that everyone is so quick to dismiss it.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:43 AM
Its a skiping rope!
It is far to Long to be a phone!
you have to pull it tigt!
and any wind would make a nosie.
try agine.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 03:12 AM
a reply to: buddha

LoL I guess some of those ancient giants used it huh?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:50 AM

Ancient peoples never surprise me with their inventiveness because there are still things they did, we cannot do today.

In fact I would''t be surprised if we, due to our reliance on technology today may not be far more ignorant than many of them were.

It looks very much as though they may have had an 'Upstairs / Downstairs' communication going on - sure beats yelling considering the size of those walls. Also makes, as said earlier, a very good means of altering people to incoming trouble or the arrival of some dignitary or simply a means to chat to your friends for hours.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:48 AM
Was it a Nokia?

Sorry 2nd line

top topics

<< 1    3 >>