It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaelogists Discovered 1,200 Year Old Telephone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ok I read this headline and my first thought was ATS here I come.
Before I saw the pic was thinking no way?! Then come to find out its the same tech kids used to use for fun. Two cups and a string. Still very impressive this is the only known example of this tech existing before modern history. Even though its not the main item in the article it also goes on to mention these same people used hydraulic tech to get water into the fields. I am constantly amazed at how advanced our ancestors were.

Also - site had a lot of ads for me. Just figured I would give you guys fair warning.

Article on phone.

More info on Chan Chan.

With a 75 foot length of communication I cant imagine what they would have used it for beyond entertainment though. The article stated that it is thought they used it indoors - but - why
We will probably never know.

Post on ATS about another find at Chan Chan
edit on 8/18/15 by DeviantMortal because: Added link to a previous ATS thread about Chan Chan.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DeviantMortal

The same "why" I make one for my kids.... It's a toy.

Or an ancient home I intercom system. "Are you still in the bathroom ?!"

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Lol- I enjoy topics such as these
I wonder how they found out about this little trick.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I am constantly amazed at how advanced our ancestors were.

I am constantly amazed at how dumb we think they were.

Obviously, the finds archaeologists and other disciplines are making say otherwise.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It *might* be a 'tin can telephone' and it could be something else.

The 'receivers' are reportedly 3.5" in size so I wonder how practical they'd be? To be heard over 75 feet would require silence in the surroundings which raises the question of how that would be more useful than speaking?

Those are my first thoughts based on the inquistr article.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
In those ancient days,used in the right way this device could have been the difference between life and death.
Imagine you are sat on an outcrop above your settlement watching for threats-and you spot a band of intruders approaching.
With this string phone,you are able to quietly alert your camp to the danger,without alerting the enemy.
This gives you a distinct advantage.
Used in such a manner,this is very far from being just a toy.
This device could save your whole settlement,by giving you advanced knowledge of,and thus allowing you to prepare for imminent attack.
Our ancestors were far more intelligent than we sometimes believe IMO.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I wonder what else they might find hidden in Chan Chan as well?

The same "why" I make one for my kids.... It's a toy. Or an ancient home I intercom system. "Are you still in the bathroom ?!"

That is what I was thinking, most likely just entertainment. Or perhaps speaking to his staff in the next room "Bring me some food!" LoL

Lol- I enjoy topics such as these I wonder how they found out about this little trick.

People have been using crystals for a long time as healing agents with the understanding that they vibrate, maybe these people understood sound was carried as a vibration as well and experimented to see if it would carry through different materials?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

That is a very good possibility without advanced weapons to fight the Conquistadors they needed any edge they could get. And this would certainly help even at only 75 feet.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It *might* be a 'tin can telephone' and it could be something else. The 'receivers' are reportedly 3.5" in size so I wonder how practical they'd be? To be heard over 75 feet would require silence in the surroundings which raises the question of how that would be more useful than speaking? Those are my first thoughts based on the inquistr article.

You bring up a good point, I would like someone to replicate the device and see how well it works, I think in order for it to work well the string would have to be pulled tight without many touch points because they would mess with the vibrations wouldn't they?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

With this string phone,you are able to quietly alert your camp to the danger,without alerting the enemy.

Assuming all the dogs weren't already barking.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Good idea. The objects should be easy to replicate and test.

On the surface, it does seem plausible that they could be a tin can telephone. More research needed!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It *might* be a 'tin can telephone' and it could be something else.

The 'receivers' are reportedly 3.5" in size so I wonder how practical they'd be? To be heard over 75 feet would require silence in the surroundings which raises the question of how that would be more useful than speaking?

Those are my first thoughts based on the inquistr article.

What if they built it into the mud brick walls to insulate the line itself much like we do today and only the two rooms had to be silent?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That dog in the picture is either one of the coolest, or the ugliest dogs I have ever seen. I'm not sure which yet I haven't decided LoL. If that city had a large dog population, and truthfully I'm expecting it did if they were actively breeding dogs. The dogs unless trained would be used to human contact and might not bark at all. A sentry with that phone could more reliable. That being said whose to say they didn't use both methods? Dogs in case the lookout didn't see the enemy coming?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

What if they built it into the mud brick walls to insulate the line itself much like we do today and only the two rooms had to be silent?
a reply to: Thiaoouba Prophecy

Someone needs to experiment to see if that would have worked because they did use mud brick walls according to that article. Wouldn't that settle on the line and kinda squeeze the vibrations out of it though? I tend to overthink things so I have no clue really.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Thiaoouba Prophecy

The twine was only 75 feet long (reportedly) and if it touches anything sound won't travel. The line has to be taut and untouched.

It was standard to have dogs and you know what dogs are like...bark all night. You're right about that dog in the link. Without even checking I know you're talking about that orange-haired, bald fella. Acquired taste lol. It's like an extra from Mad Max.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Ha! Fair point.
Man,they are some great looking dogs-sort of pre inca ginger goth punk dogs.
I bet they are great dogs,although not much good for making clothes with like the later meso american cultures did from the hair.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I am constantly amazed at how advanced our ancestors were.

I am constantly amazed at how dumb we think they were.

Obviously, the finds archaeologists and other disciplines are making say otherwise.

My thoughts exactly. It's easier to think they were a backward people I guess. They must have been. And they lived in a monochrome world.
edit on 18/8/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The twine was only 75 feet long (reportedly) and if it touches anything sound won't travel. The line has to be taut and untouched.

Yo are correct after a quick search, in order to go around corners a third device would need to be where the corner is with the string threaded through it in order to prevent the string from touching anything else. Apparently anything touching it could either make the phone fail.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

We love our dogs whatever they look like

Last month's Sci-Am had a great article on how some dogs diverged from wolves. Believe it or not, it's a fantastic mystery and nobody has the full answer yet. I always though it was straightforward.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have seen a hand full of articles on the history of dogs, I remember one a while back suggesting that they started evolving from wolves simply through prolonged contact with humans, or neanderthals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join