It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 women pass Army Ranger School, first female graduates

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is a very interesting story as the first two women in history have passed the Army Ranger School...

The Army's Ranger headquarters in Fort Benning, Georgia, says the women and 94 men passed the tough 62-day course that tests their ability to overcome fatigue, hunger and stress during combat operations.

While completing the leadership course lets the two women wear the coveted Ranger black-and-gold tab, it does not let them become members of the Ranger regiment. Neither woman has been identified by the military.

news.yahoo.com...

I applaud them on their passing of this, but will we ever see women actively participating in Ranger operations?

I guess time will tell.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

History is full of warrior women so I think they will do fine.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

Another source for you.

I think Obama said the army have to accept women in combat roles by 2016.

I see absolutely no reason why women should not have full roles within the army environment if that is something they desire.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So they get to wear the Ranger tab but do not become part of the Ranger regiment. Is there something else to pass or is because of the "no combat" for women?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

So they get to wear the Ranger tab but do not become part of the Ranger regiment. Is there something else to pass or is because of the "no combat" for women?

As far as I can tell it's about the no women in combat.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

As far as I can tell it's about the no women in combat.

It is, yes.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

A lot of people go to the Ranger School but not the regiment. We know they aren't infantry basic course officers because the army doesn't allow that, but there were Marine infantry officers there who didn't graduate. mobile.nytimes.com...

The only air force officer standing at last count was male so that rules a few possibilities, but that still leaves MPs, other service aviators, translators/cultural contacts, intelligence, and of course foreign allied personel (I'm guessing one is Israeli).

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The majority of the people who get the ranger tab don't serve in a Ranger Bat.

Same with Airborne, Air Assault and every other school...they are just schools.

However to be in a specific division you usually need the school..but even then it isn't always the case as ive seen entire platoons in an air assault unit not be air assault certified.

And there are Green Berets who skipped Ranger school...

They do cross training too where even other branches can go to the school...for example Air Force Commandos on their pipeline often take a little trip to ranger school.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thought I read somewhere there is another course to actually enter a Ranger regiment... Could be wrong...

I have no issues with women in combat if they meet the same qualifications a man meets.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

have you ever been on combat grounds, or immediate danger zone, or hazardous zones or cbr attack prone regions ?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Good news. Lot's of strong women and women role models out there.

There's not a whole lot of reason not to have women in combat missions. They can't do a whole lot more to women then they have to men. Heck even our CIA operatives rape male prisoners. It's already come out in the torture documents. ISIS just burns you alive, man or woman.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Thought I read somewhere there is another course to actually enter a Ranger regiment... Could be wrong...

Yes they do, but the 2 women aren't allowed to take that next step, which is where I do believe that if these two ladies wanted to go that route they should be able to at least try.

I have no issues with women in combat if they meet the same qualifications a man meets.

Right there with you on that.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well that makes more sense. I have no problem with women going to combat as long as they meet all the same qualifications as the men. What I don't want to see is some mucky muck come along and say well we now have a quota of females we need to fill, blah blah blah.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Whether or not they serve in the regiment, it's going to look pretty good on the ol' resume.

Good for them. Not something everyone can do.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

This will be interesting to see where it goes

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
They get the tab and return to assignments in the Army. They take the expertise they gained in Ranger school with them to enhance the capabilities of the other Soldiers they work with. The Army is a better educated and more capable institution for their effort.

Iraq and Afghanistan have clearly demonstrated there is almost no delineation by MOS, rank, or unit between 'combat' or 'non-combat' roles. If you are on a convoy or an a mission in a village, no one checks your credentials before trying to kill you. You have a uniform on and that's good enough.

The Army got this years ago. These females with tabs now are just the latest manifestation of this realization.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
As long as the standards are not dropped to accommadate. More power to everyone!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't see how this is a good thing? Now women have taken a step closer in the engineered abolishment of sex roles and gender identification. I posit that the reason being is that the Cosmos has seen fit to flood the planet with Yin energy for lack of a better term. It is laughable that the psycho's in charge think that they can do anything about it. Rid the Proles of sex roles? Thats a good one!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Not to diminish true sexism when it happens but the no women in combat roles is rooted is a couple pretty big concerns beyond just the other sex isn't good enough. Should read up.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Not to diminish true sexism when it happens but the no women in combat roles is rooted is a couple pretty big concerns beyond just the other sex isn't good enough. Should read up.

An equal right to be sent off to foreign lands and kill and get killed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join