It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pentagon may cut back F/A-22 production

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The Pentagon has informed the White house and Congress that it may cut the number of F/A-22s that it plans to acquire. The cut is being perused because of a mounting Federal deficit as well as the ongoing costs of operations in Iraq. Currently based on a buy of 277 Raptors, each will cost 258 million. However, if the numbers are cut, the unit cost will go up.

www.dfw.com
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has told the White House and Congress that it plans to sharply cut the Air Force's program for the F/A-22, part of which is built in Fort Worth at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics.

Budget analysts said the cuts are intended to offset mounting federal budget deficits and the growing costs of the war in Iraq. The plane is the most expensive fighter jet in history.

Congress still must approve the Pentagon's decision, which four administration and congressional officials described on Tuesday. The White House is pressing all agencies to scale back spending requests for the fiscal 2006 budget, which will be submitted to lawmakers early next year.

The White House is under pressure to show progress in trimming federal deficits while ensuring that troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have adequately armored equipment. The cost of operations in Iraq alone is about $4.4 billion a month.

At the moment, the fighter, known as the Raptor, costs about $258 million a plane. That is based on an overall cost of $71.8 billion and the Air Force's plans to buy 277 Raptors.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Clearly the lessons that were learned with the B-2 production were ignored. To shortchange a key defense component is foolhardy. The long term costs will be high. The F-35 JSF may be the next item on the chopping block if this keeps up. The F-22 will allow our air force to maintain its lead in aviation and maintain our dominance of the high ground.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the info but I have made a thread about it earlier today...

Here it is...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
Thanks for the info but I have made a thread about it earlier today...

Here it is...

yes, but threads can exist parallel on ATSNN and ATS. Thanks for the link.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Looks like the insurgants indirectly "shot down" a few dogfighters ?

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Normally I am an adamant supporter of the American government, but in this case, that support wavers. This is HORRIBLE long-term planning, but the government's action in cancelling the Raptor program is not the problem, but a symptom of it.

The problem, as I see it, is the consumerist attitude of the nation, and the culture of short-termism - consumption spending rather than investment spending. America needs to move towards investment slightly more, if it hopes to survive as a superpower.

In March I had the fine opportunity to talk with a defense policy expert as well as some military officers at Fort McNair, and they all agreed that the heart of maintaining superpower status is the ability to outspend the rest of the world in military expenditure. Obviously, this cannot be done if spending on consumer goods continues at such a rate (which, in case anyone is wondering, drives up borrowing, which leads to a deficit - spending more than you actually have).

On the other hand, a strong focus on investment spending generally has beneficial results. Singapore, for example, is a nation where almost 50% of all expenditure is on savings and investment, and they have come a long way in the three decades for which that has been true.

I strongly believe that America is a nation that can only be reduced in power from within. This can take place in many ways from the economical to the spiritual, and I won't go into all of them here. The way that IS relevant here is the rising deficit, a direct result of the consumerist attitude of the country.

Unfortunately I don't know any way in which this can be changed, and who knows, I may be wrong on all this. If so, I hope I am wrong in subscribing this to a complicated problem. Prevailing attitudes can be a nation's greatest strength, or its deadliest weakness. If America is replaced as the world's premier power, it will be due to a lack of direction, a lack of passion, and a lack of forward-thinking. I fear that this is a symptom of the latter.

new topics

top topics

join