It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Apple to Drop Sub-$500 Mac Bomb at Expo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Hoping to capitalize off the iPod popularity, Apple is expected to offer a "headless Mac." Code-named the Q88, it is expected that Steve Jobs will announce the budget-priced computer on January 11th at the MacWorld Expo. The computer will not come with a monitor and will be a basic machine that will appeal to Windows users who have experienced the iPod.

www.thinksecret.com
With iPod-savvy Windows users clearly in its sights, Apple is expected to announce a bare bones, G4-based iMac without a display at Macworld Expo on January 11 that will retail for $499, highly reliable sources have confirmed to Think Secret.

The new Mac, code-named Q88, will be part of the iMac family and is expected to sport a PowerPC G4 processor at a speed around 1.25GHz. The new Mac is said to be incredibly small and will be housed in a flat enclosure with a height similar to the 1.73 inches of Apple's Xserve. Its size benefits will include the ability to stand the Mac on its side or put it below a display or monitor.

Along with lowering costs by forgoing a display (Apple's entry-level eMac sells for $799 with a built-in 17-inch CRT display), the so-called "headless" iMac will allow Apple's target audience -- Windows users looking for a cheap, second PC -- to keep their current peripherals or decide on their own what to pair with the system, be it a high-priced LCD display or an inexpensive display. Sources expect the device to feature both DVI and VGA connectivity, although whether this will be provided through dual ports or through a single DVI port with a VGA adapter remains to be seen.

The new Mac is expected to have a Combo drive only, but will possibly have an upgrade path to a SuperDrive at a higher price. It is unclear how big the hard drive capacity will be, although sources indicate it will be between 40GB and 80GB. Maybe the casstte was the best deal of all.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally, I'm not sure if the appeal of the iPod is going to be enough to draw Windows users into the Apple market for a low-end machine that will function primarily as a peripheral for the iPod. I know a man who received an iPod as a gift and is having trouble getting music downloaded from the internet to the device. Apple has been locking horns with Musicmatch since last year. Perhaps, this is the answer--a $500. computer to run a $300. portable music playback device. Maybe the cassette was the best deal of all.

Related News Links:
xnews.soad.umich.edu
www.theregister.co.uk
news.com.com
www.ipodhacks.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
PC vs Apple Mac - Which is better?
Apple patented by Microsoft?!

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm a mac fan from way, way back and have had several over the years. Only broke down and got a PC laptop recently because programs I use for my work are not mac friendly. I understand the appeal of their products, very user friendly and were a long time ago - long before microsoft got wise. Not sure about the IPod 'cause I don't have one.

Darn, I knew I should have held onto that stock I had at $20 something...its in the $60's now...boo hoo ;-)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Yeah GradyPhilpott I am as equally as skeptical about this new product Apple is rolling out. Worst kept secret in the history of the computer industry
I heard about it in November heh. (I just saw it today its small about the size of a CD Drive with a case) The big But is that it requires a different standand the ATX formfactor which will make its upgradablility minimal, and plue for the same price you can get a fully featured computer with a monitor from Dell. Apple will alway be a Niche filler in the Desktop market.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I'm a mac fan from way, way back and have had several over the years.

Oh man - you're A-OK in my book there Always - My first computer was an Apple ll plus, my first Mac was a llfx. 9 macs later I'm running a new G5, and although I use PC's in work - nothing beats a MAC!

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
As Steven Jobs put it today at the announcement, its a BYODKM or bring your own Display, keyboard, and mouse, they supply the box.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I knew I liked you too Dude. Its come a long way right now I have the IMac - loved that commercial where the guy sees it in the window, sticks his tongue out at it and the Imac does it back to him. They've been innovative from the get go. Too bad they couldn't get the price lowered a long time ago.

Using a PC laptop for work (and when lazy and wanting to watch t.v., surf ATS from beddy bye), but Mac is my first love!

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
For those who haven't seen it, here's a clip of Job's introduction to the Mac Mini. I still have to wonder. If Apple wants to offer just a computer without keyboard mouse and display, why don't they make one that will compete with the PC I now own?

How about a 3GHz processor, a 512MB RAM, and some serious disk space, like 160GB. Actually, I would trade some disk space for some RAM, now that I know more about it, but an upgrade is not expensive, at all. And don't let me forget all those media slots I have. So, why can't Apple produce a computer that competes with my PC that will plug into the peripherals I already own?

news.com.com...

new topics

top topics

join