It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief in God is infantile...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

Your concept is very interesting and certainly shows some real insight into why people fall in love with the idea of a God. But you started saying you were going to talk about the origin of gods [plural]. I thought you were going to talk about how druids thought there was a god in trees and other objects.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
It is my belief that believing in a god is a coping mechanism.

It's a way for people to feel better by having unanswerable questions answered by religion.

It is my belief that believing in "Initial singularity" is a coping mechanism.

It's a way for people to feel better by having unanswerable questions answered by science.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I've never worshipped my parents as gods...

I also don't assume their responsibilities when I was a child equate to the creation & upkeep of everything that ever existed or will exist.

Your logic is infantile.

i think if god deserves it, your parents deserve it.

That's quaint but ultimately none of my concern.

I don't worship humans.

I think my parents deserve my unconditional love and my upmost respect.

They don't need my prayers, faith & worship.

neither would a god need your prayers, faith or worship. you give it to him because he has your unconditional love and utmost respect. like your parents.

For sure, God needs for nothing...

But I need to know that God knows I'm willing to...
For my day of judgement.

Something my parents play no part in.

...uh huh. so its politics.
edit on 18-8-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

As Oppose to the Belief that Man is the Supreme Intelligence in the Universe ? Now that is Infantile .

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

As Oppose to the Belief that Man is the Supreme Intelligence in the Universe ? Now that is Infantile .

who said man is the supreme intelligence in the universe?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

If Man Decides the Concept of " God " is somehow Infantile , then the Only conclusion to that is Man himself is God .

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

If Man Decides the Concept of " God " is somehow Infantile , then the Only conclusion to that is Man himself is God .

...but that would require rescinding the idea that god is infantile, otherwise, according to you, man would be declaring himself infantile.

...i see what you did there.
edit on 18-8-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen
Dashen
Oh what a lovely explanation it was almost intimate.

To the OP. I don't think we can even grasp the concept of "God"

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL

Your concept is very interesting and certainly shows some real insight into why people fall in love with the idea of a God. But you started saying you were going to talk about the origin of gods [plural]. I thought you were going to talk about how druids thought there was a god in trees and other objects.

My bad. It's more an explanation of the concept of a god.

However, since you asked and I've studied paganism for over 20 years, I'll try to answer.

The idea of gods spring from animism, which is where everything has a spirit. Once the spirits aquire, or are granted, or are elevated to, a human type form you get polytheism.

Druids are a bridge from animistic spirits to human type gods. While the oaks have spirit, the children of danu are gods and the druids followed both.

The Greeks elevated the gods over the spirits and were therefore further down the religious evolutionary ladder.

As a child the world is full of wonder. It's easy to believe that everything has a spirit and that they simply hide from us humans, like animals do in the woods.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

Then something happens and you realize... They are like you.

"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these..."

By putting God on the pedestal, we have forgotten that we have that very essence within us.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The fact that you are a parent is unsettling. People with this sort of low mental functioning really, really shouldn't be having kids. But I suppose it happens every day.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson
Belief in God is infantile...

'Give me your child for its first seven years and I'll give you the man.'

So, yes. Religion - as an extension of the that, "God" / the espousal thereof - is indeed infantile... literally!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Wow, the op is full of logic. But isn't it just a guess? My earliest recollection isn't one of my parents being gods, just a firm understanding of their love for me. The real irony is that infants probably have a recollection of our Heavenly Father and his plans... so belief in God is very much so infantile, the real culprit behind immorality and vanity and materialism is worldly understanding. Logic is skewed by environment.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!

Even if you where a god you should not say yes from my point of view.

Souls would just make strange demands of you, telling you that you have to sort out their problems first even when they are themselves co creating them. And if you intervene they will not be happy since they want free will and when you do not intervene you are unloving for letting them sort it out themselves and trying to teach self reliance and taking responsibility.

Whatever you do you or not do you are screwed.

Me I am only an awareness playing around in a very strange place.
edit on 18-8-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!

Even if you where a god you should not say yes from my point of view.

Whatever you do you or not do you are screwed.

Me I am only an awareness playing around in a very strange place.

It was a ghostbusters reference mate.

edit on 18-8-2015 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think what ever God is, is in our DNA. If anything, you have to believe in your self, so how did we get here?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
In consideration of the forum I am still a babe in the world of the unknown and perhaps the unanswerable...But, " I THINK , THERFORE I AM". Excellent post.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

No - it is not the 'only' conclusion. Perhaps the only one that you can see, but not in any way the only one.

I just love all this absolutist talk.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Then point to what you believe in. You cannot, because you have nothing to believe in.

Wow....

If you deflect again I will just say you haven't got a clue......

I thought my long replies about my beliefs were very clear....

Now, tell me why I am wrong in your eyes....PLEASE!!!

You haven't said why you believe what you do, only that you do believe. Tell us about how you came to become a believer in whatever it is you believe in. Did it just feel like it was true? What steps did you take to verify that you were not fooling yourself? What basis did you find outside of your own feelings? When you look at something on the earth and say, this convinces me to believe something, how do you check that? How do you question yourself by going to something outside yourself?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Then point to what you believe in. You cannot, because you have nothing to believe in.

Wow....

If you deflect again I will just say you haven't got a clue......

I thought my long replies about my beliefs were very clear....

Now, tell me why I am wrong in your eyes....PLEASE!!!

You haven't said why you believe what you do, only that you do believe. Tell us about how you came to become a believer in whatever it is you believe in. Did it just feel like it was true? What steps did you take to verify that you were not fooling yourself? What basis did you find outside of your own feelings? When you look at something on the earth and say, this convinces me to believe something, how do you check that? How do you question yourself by going to something outside yourself?

Stan...I am truly interested in why I must lay a detailed track of my beliefs for you? Do you live through others? I was pretty clear in my response and it didn't take someone telling me their experience on an internet forum to do so....

Why oh why would I ever feel the need to explain to non-believers WHY I believe? It would take me 20 pages of text to lay out what happened to me personally....To fully understand you would need to know each individual's life to even grasp what they are talking about....I was simply debating a parent calling themselves a God, not why I believe in God....

So sorry if you are confused by anything I said....I don't like debating religion for this reason, to fully understand you can't explain it in a post online..

Best of luck in your own search!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join