It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief in God is infantile...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Perhaps I was unclear as to the timeline and definition of infantile.

Infantile in this since means as an infant. It is not a disparagement or insult.

As an infant the idea is formed of an all powerful force that provides. This is the root of the idea of a god. You don't yet have the cognitive ability to actually form the concept of a god as we know it, but the seed is there.

This would be akin to animist religions.

Then you see people and the are much stronger and smarter than you, you on a higher level.

This would be akin to the old polytheistic idea of the gods as just higher, more powerful humans.

Then you see the people really aren't all that, but since theirs always been a higher step, something more, you the transfer the idea to a concept. You rationalize and create, or take from others, more sophisticated ideas and concepts.

This would be monotheism. A grand singular god of all.

The next step is to realize this is just a concept, so there must be something higher still. This is a trancedant god, beyond all human concepts.

This would be buddism or toaism.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: TinkerHaus

What's ridiculous is how the Christian God has changed over the last couple of thousand years, and how there are so many interpretations of the texts that are allegedly written through divine inspiration

If the Christian God has changed over the last couple thousand years so much to where you believe it is ridiculous.....Please do share...

I know of 1...Yes 1 Christian (hint) God from the last couple thousand years, and his name hasn't changed one time!

No, but his opinions and outlook on humanity have.. The way he deals with sin and what actually constitutes a sin have..

Have you ever compared the "God" in the Old Testament to the "God" in the New Testament? Looks to me like "God" experienced a real emotional breakthrough.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Not really.

There are humans, and there is Bob.

There is god, a concept, and there is a particular god that you refuse to name and call it by its type.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: TinkerHaus

What's ridiculous is how the Christian God has changed over the last couple of thousand years, and how there are so many interpretations of the texts that are allegedly written through divine inspiration

If the Christian God has changed over the last couple thousand years so much to where you believe it is ridiculous.....Please do share...

I know of 1...Yes 1 Christian (hint) God from the last couple thousand years, and his name hasn't changed one time!

No, but his opinions and outlook on humanity have.. The way he deals with sin and what actually constitutes a sin have..

Have you ever compared the "God" in the Old Testament to the "God" in the New Testament? Looks to me like "God" experienced a real emotional breakthrough.

Or the interpretation of words changed....One of the 2...

You can't seriously read the Bible and take it for what it says, do you? I would almost bet you have no clue other than what you have heard on these boards by saying what you are saying....

You did a 180 degree backflip when I asked you about what you said already and I still don't believe you even know what I am talking about above....Sorry

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I've never worshipped my parents as gods...

I also don't assume their responsibilities when I was a child equate to the creation & upkeep of everything that ever existed or will exist.

Your logic is infantile.
You have once more completely missed the point of the OP

The op said, and I quote...

As children we all think this of our parents. It's deeply ingrained and reinforced from birth for years.

This is a grand generalisation and inherently contradicts how I grew up & what I personally thought & believed.

So I missed nothing whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinkerHaus
I love how many people were instantly and deeply offended by this. I lol'd.

I think many people misunderstand your point.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1: Our ideas of what "God" is evolve as we evolve.

2: "God" is a construct that we use because we don't understand the nature of existence but as humans we seek to understand and categorize things. As a child "God" certainly could be parents, because as an infant or young child you do not have the intellectual ability to look beyond your parents when questioning who created, provides for, and answers your "prayers."

3: As an infant, without someone else putting this idea into your head, you have no knowledge of, and therefor no regard for a god. Your god is your parents, which as you said at that point in a child's development have no beginning and no end.

4: The continued need for a a sentient consciousness that created everything and watches over us with infinite wisdom is infantile. Some things are just unknown - and if there is a higher being, or a group consciousness, or whatever it may be, it definitely has not been identified and explained by humans.

5: LOL at the butthurt. So much LOL.

Exactly! You wrote that much better than I did.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson
a reply to: queenofswords

Not really.

There are humans, and there is Bob.

There is god, a concept, and there is a particular god that you refuse to name and call it by its type.

I guess my concept of God is more like the intelligence and consciousness of the universe rather than a sky daddy concept, sort of like "there are humans, and then there is humanity".

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
People believe in God because they do not believe in the universe. They are the true unbelievers, because they literally have nothing to believe save for a book and a priest.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

1: Our ideas of what "God" is evolve as we evolve.

To who exactly?

2: "God" is a construct that we use because we don't understand the nature of existence but as humans we seek to understand and categorize things. As a child "God" certainly could be parents, because as an infant or young child you do not have the intellectual ability to look beyond your parents when questioning who created, provides for, and answers your "prayers."

Um....I never once called my parents God....Not one time, nor did I ever pray to them....

3: As an infant, without someone else putting this idea into your head, you have no knowledge of, and therefor no regard for a god. Your god is your parents, which as you said at that point in a child's development have no beginning and no end.

Honestly, as an infant nothing of this nature ever crossed my mind....EVER

4: The continued need for a a sentient consciousness that created everything and watches over us with infinite wisdom is infantile. Some things are just unknown - and if there is a higher being, or a group consciousness, or whatever it may be, it definitely has not been identified and explained by humans.

So if you don't believe God created Man, please do explain....Feel free to get all scientific on me as well....I am all ears

5: LOL at the butthurt. So much LOL.

Us on the other side of the coin are really praying for you.....Really...

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
People believe in God because they do not believe in the universe. They are the true unbelievers, because they literally have nothing to believe save for a book and a priest.

Explain me then.....I do neither

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

What do you believe in?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Well, now we know why there are so many interpretations of religious texts.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

What do you believe in?

Jesus Christ is our lord and savior....You aren't new here, are you just trying to probe an answer from me?

I have read the Bible in pieces, the ONLY lines that are meant as a literal interpretation include words such as these:

"For us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live" (1 Corinthians 8:6).

The Way, the Truth, and the Life
5Thomas said to Him, "Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?" 6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. 7"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."…

These are literal translations of who Jesus Christ was while here.....There are no mixing words with what he is saying, as for the other stories in the Bible people tend to steer clear from, it is understandable and not meant as literal....

If you don't want to believe he brought Lazarus back to life after 4 days, so be it.....If you don't want to believe he fed people that were hungry by holding a basket in the air, so be it.....Not everything in the Bible is literal, but to have an understanding or idea on the subject you at least need to know where people stand on the topic....

I don't attend church, found God myself.....I don't literally interpret the entire Bible and spew Bible verses on here because that is not needed! Your attendance to church is not measured, your priest is just trying to guide people who have questions, nothing more....There is 1 way into heaven, that is through Jesus Christ....I hope you find your peace as well at some point! Best of luck!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

God feeds people

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: yulka

God feeds people

Because God put the food here for us.....You bought that food with your fake money system in place....Take all that away and the food is still here, provided by God....Not your parents!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
You provided genetic material to form her body. Its a process that is programmed into our flesh. You had no hand in creating her soul. You are by no means God.

They have no knowledge, much less understanding of "soul". They've been programmed to believe only in that which they can see, measure, etc. It's ironic; to polish up their intellectual credentials they must outwardly deny the existence of anything beyond measurement or observation which puts them in the position of demonstrating their lack of knowledge of the true reality of what it is to be human, the complex duality of human nature. The programming is so thorough that engaging the on the topic is utterly pointless. Knowing that saves much time and effort.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

So you believe the bible? Anything else?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I have a newborn. I created her. I am her God.

OP! Can I be the one to tell her you're lying?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

So you believe the bible? Anything else?

Didn't see that one coming.....

Because I have a few quotes from thousands of passages, yep I am carrying my Bible around with me....

Typical reply....I am used to it really, say what you will but I thought I explained the Bible fairly well.....Yes even for you....I hope you find whatever truth you are looking for in this life...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join