It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Combat Cloud.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
So many threads on this platform Vs. that platform. The flight characteristics of each, the cost...on and on. All valid, of course.

Yet the apparent other battle being waged lies in the electronic issues. The combat cloud-Steve Jobs creation(?)- is gaining traction at the Pentagon and is a more and more common subject on other sites.

It implies a full connection between all the services and systems to form a 'cloud' of data available to all forms of vehicles, land, sea and air and orbital.....

An instantaneous, real-time, 24-7 MASSIVE data base for any combat device to utilize.

Simply put, a game changer of the first magnitude. Our 'beloved' leaders of this forum on occasion flirt with tid-bits of EW information yet this takes that arena to a far higher level than anything I've seen.

It raises many questions, largely through ignorance- of which I specialize in...
, that I'm sure those in the know could contribute information to both to inform and keep up with the latest developments connected to this subject.

Off the top questions, from me are does this negate to any extant stealth? Is international use proposed for this system via NORAD or NATO?
Co-operation with individual countries like the U.K.? Is there an equivalent in Russia or China?

Lots to learn and know in this area as it develops.....
edit on 18-8-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

All "the cloud" is, in normal parlance, is a collection of known data, stored in cyberspace.

If we are to assume that the military cloud is essentially the martial version of that, then no, it would not negate stealth necessarily.

If a unit whose data is being shared with the Combat Cloud were to lay eyes on a target that was not showing up on radar or on other spectra of observation, then the only available data about that target would be that it was over co-ordinate x at time y, heading in z direction. Only when a single aircraft, ground station, or other monitoring apparatus were to actually attain a lock or track on the target, and that data be shared to the Combat Cloud, would any stealth capabilities it might have had, be even remotely negated.

The Combat Cloud is not even a new concept, just an expansion of an old one. Do you remember the Landwarrior system? It was a computerised system which offered the soldier on the ground instant access to realtime data about the precise location of his own units various members, other friendly units, and any enemy units being tracked by satellites, recon aircraft, intelligence assets on the ground, and other means. Essentially, it gave men on the ground access to the sort of data that only command elements used to have access to, and allowed ground troops to make better tactical choices based on the information provided. It also allowed gun cam footage to be shared amongst units, or sent right back to whatever central command structure was present.

It also allowed for rapid communication between members of a squad, via text rather than verbal commands, which has obvious strategic advantages, especially in a scenario where any element of stealth and subterfuge is required.

Now, this Combat Cloud maguffin seems impressive, and if it allows for data to be shared between disparate elements of a military force, air force, army, navy, intelligence, then that will be a major change in the way that information is distributed about military matters. Compartmentalisation would be rather difficult, and mission security will be harder to maintain if the Combat Cloud is not compartmentalised in and of itself. I would imagine therefore, that it either comes set up to limit each unit members access to non mission critical information, or that it can be set that way by command, depending on the needs of the mission underway.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Jam the channels and its useless, turn off the power, hack it, virus it… what else?

Sounds like all the eggs in one basket.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thanks for the data!

I picked on this on F-16 net on the F-22 forum under the thread F-22 AGG-77 Vs. decoys. It basically referred to the original intent was to have a large number of 22s rather than packages as today's scenario. This left the 22 a little short of interaction capability for these 'packages'.

It also implied there was no real push to upgrade the 22 and we'd be better off developing the sixth gen platform rather than expensive upgrades to the Raptor. It even stated the F-35's goodies were already 10 years old and not 'up to date'.

That the cloud could replace the expensive and non-stop upgrades. A huge money saver if, in fact, the upgrades weren't needed on extant platforms and could be place in less expensive units..Drones, for example and used via these clouds.

I get this isn't new. More an expansion than anything of capability than anything else. Yet these guys were discussing it as if it was already in place.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Good point. Yet the same already and has for a long time applied to every form of communication system.

One would assume a different language being used by the military web? Back-up systems in place. Super-hardened equipment...on and on.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

P.S. At a guess, counter viruses set up for the unwary hacker is likely, as well. Just ready and eager to be downloaded with the cloud,s data....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Good point. Yet the same already and has for a long time applied to every form of communication system.

One would assume a different language being used by the military web? Back-up systems in place. Super-hardened equipment...on and on.

I wonder if they train signals corp anymore to use flags, flashing lights and god forbid… morse code.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

good question. I'd assume the navies still use/train in morse and signals...semaphore? I haven't seen nor heard of that since my Boy Scout days along time back.....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Ha, yah, back when stealth meant radio silence, staying off the air.

I guess thats less meaningful these days with satellite tracking of vessels and ground forces.

Napoleon for instance, was the best tactician because he had the fastest horsemen to recon, deliver and send messages.

When I saw "Gravity" for the first time it made me wonder what a space war would turn out like.

What are armies going to do round the world when commo goes dark?

top topics

join