It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 Screwing Your Laptop UP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Having installed Win 10 on my desktop and laptop I didn't have many complaints. The desktop is almost always on and updates automatically without much fuss. However, the laptop had been turned off for a week or so when I decided to watch some movies on it. I turn it on and realize I can't get anything to work. I can't even look at a folder - it just doesn't respond. The problem was the stupid updates, which seemed to have been backlogged for a whole week! The laptop isn't an uber device by any means, but it isn't junk either; it's about three years old and has OEM Win 8 64 bit, so it's more than capable of handling Win 10, in theory anyway.

Two hours later I had enough of waiting. Turned off internet via device manager, a process that took about 10 minutes due to the lag, then deicded I wanted to go back to Win 8.1. Fortunately, this process is really easy. I was expecting to have to use a recovery partition or something lame, but I didn't.

In the search bar at the bottom on your screen just type "restore," then you will see an option along the lines of "revert back to Win 8.1." I imagine it's the same for Win 7 or whatever. So I clicked on that then a couple of confirmation buttons and 15 minutes later I had got rid of Win 10 on my laptop, thank god.

Just making this post because I'm almost certain others will come across this moronic problem with Windows 10.

I will also add that everything restored perfectly and Windows 10 was removed, never to return.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sharted

How is Windows 10 on your desktop? I heard they were going to be constantly updating it.
edit on 18amTue, 18 Aug 2015 00:45:27 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I still miss xp!

Every successor since has caused me great pain.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I haven't wanted to so far, i don't trust windows.

I do have a neat link though you may want to check out for those who miss the old classic windows setup.

I saved the link and remembered it when i saw your post.

classic shell for windows

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
So yes.. a real b%&ch.. u, guys., I got a comp still running off of XP... I got it down. But .. eff it.. they want your DNA... oh! Hail hipno toad!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Got 3 comps on updates... going on 3 weeks.. weak...something is very wrong!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I upgraded all 3 of my laptops, and they are running smoothly.

Acer 6 year's old, win 7.

HP 3 year's old, win 7

MSI 2 month old, win 8.1

Only problem i have experienced, is the MSI using 100 % of the processor 2 times, getting really slow, and need a reboot.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
I haven't wanted to so far, i don't trust windows.

I do have a neat link though you may want to check out for those who miss the old classic windows setup.

I saved the link and remembered it when i saw your post.

classic shell for windows

dont! Just wait till we get by... stand Down!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
so far on my laptop it's been great, the only problems i have seen is one driver not being installed via windows update (irDA, never used it)
The other more annoying one is, i tried to install the discovery channel app from the store, and when i launch it, and try to select a video, the window will crash, and also things like the notification centre and Cortana stop working, a reboot is the only solution.
i guess they will fix all that eventually, these are the problems we must face as early adopters i guess

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Should know by now it works out. But this as been a bit of a ... ( insert babbling mother here )...

Yeah! A very stimulating red hot poker ..... been fun here.. breath in ... are blow very hard!

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse
Sooooooooooooo? You got it to work?

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
...ask Cortana to remind you to take your medicine

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Has anyone figured out the security crap that needs to be turned off manually? I have a friend who spent well over an hour and a bit doing this.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: homeschoolmom

what security crap? UAC? that window that shows up every time you install or open something?
if that, then just type UAC in the search bar, click on the very first result, and you get a window where you can shut it down.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
What applications do you have that you absolutley need to run under windows 10? The reason I ask is that I have Linux with zero grief and no costly outlay. I have office apps, music, video, email, photo editor, databases, football streaming (soccer). I have not spent a penny on OS upgrades or applications in years. I do not have myriad nonsense downloading every time I boot up. I don't have apps/"helpers" installing in the background every time I access some website!

Did you know that most apps under Linux are also available for free under windows so you can try them first before changing the OS.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

I messed around a bit with Linux few years ago but I prefer Windows because that's what everyone else uses so it's best to use what they do, for work etc. I'm just waiting for Google to launch a real OS that will put MS out of business, they aren't far off it now with Android that works with tablets. I don't know why but I trust Google way more than MS.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

How is Windows 10 on your desktop? I heard they were going to be constantly updating it.

The desktop is fine but it's quad core compared to dual core on laptop. The difference is that I get small updates because the desktop is always on, but the laptop only gets turned on when I need it, which is rare, meaning it can take hours for it to update. When I updates the laptop on Win 8.1 I could still use it as normal, but not with Win 10 for some reason.

You can kind of turn off automatic updates in Win 10, but it's a totally lame way of doing it and not worth the effort. I am fairly confident MS will change their mind and reinstate the old update options because I predict I'm not going to be the only one who has complained about it. They ask you why you've reverted back to the old OS when you do it, so I told them. I hope many more do the same thing.

I've heard others saying their laptops are working fine, but trying leaving them turned off for a couple weeks then see if they still work fine at boot.

On a completely unrelated issue, for users of Firefox who might be noticing that when they have 5 or more tabs open they hit the minimize button because the tab is hiding it. I'm not explaining it very well but if it's happening to you then you know what I mean. Anyway, just download the latest Firefox 32 Beta browser and it's fixed. Apparently the 64 bit beta might have issues with plugins not working.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I run a recording studio and video production facility. After having used win 10 at another facility, upgrading my windows boxes to 10, was a no- brainer.

During install, do not use express settings. Do a custom install and set every "switch" to off. Especially updates. No reporting,no app reports, no notifications, no diagnostic reports, etc.

Also you can turn everything off, in control panel.

My windows boxes always performed better than the macs, by a few minutes. Now, renders are betterhan manufacturers promote.
edit on 18-8-2015 by shefskitchen because: big thumbs, small phone.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
good to know, thank you..

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: shefskitchen

Yes I always do a custom install because I like to know what programs are installing on my device. All privacy settings are turned to "off".

Anyway, I found a way to turn off updates thanks to Google. You go to control panel - admin tools - services - windows update - then disable it. Hope this works because I'm sick of auto updates every single time I turn on my PC.

top topics

join